Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Untraceable 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
C 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Untraceable 
Extraordinary

Post Untraceable
Untraceable

Quote:
Untraceable is a 2008 American thriller film starring Diane Lane, Colin Hanks, Billy Burke, and Joseph Cross. It was directed by Gregory Hoblit and distributed by Screen Gems. The film is a social commentary on Internet schadenfreude.

Set in Portland, Oregon, the film involves a serial killer who rigs contraptions that kill his victims based on the number of hits received by a website ("www.killwithme.com") that features a live streaming video of the victim. Millions of people log on, hastening the victims' deaths. Diane Lane plays the protagonist, a cybercop named Jennifer Marsh, who pieces the mystery together at great risk to herself and her family.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Untraceable
Better than I thought it would be. It's reasonably effective for about 80 minutes until it has an idiotic climax (in which the protagonist, who has been intelligent the entire film, suddenly becomes dumber than a box of crayons), but it all generally held my interest. Untraceable's biggest asset is the ever-reliable Diane Lane, who breathes life into an otherwise underwritten lead character. Colin Hanks and Billy Burke are fine in their supporting roles. This isn't the best thriller you could watch by any stretch, but the premise is interesting and Lane is an appealing lead. B-

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:21 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Better than I thought it would be. It's reasonably effective for about 80 minutes until it has an idiotic climax (in which the protagonist, who has been intelligent the entire film, suddenly becomes dumber than a box of crayons), but it all generally held my interest. Untraceable's biggest asset is the ever-reliable Diane Lane, who breathes life into an otherwise underwritten lead character. Colin Hanks and Billy Burke are fine in their supporting roles. This isn't the best thriller you could watch by any stretch, but the premise is interesting and Lane is an appealing lead. B-

So tell me/us. Is it as gory and gruesome and tasteless as I've heard. At a screening in my town one guy puked on his wife, so I was just wondering....

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 am
Orphan

The film is pretty tasteless, right from the very first scene.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:26 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Surprisingly solid. Diane Lane gives a very good performance and the film itself is quite involving. It loses its way in the slightly goofy final act, but overall I'd recommend it. B-

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm
Profile YIM
What would Jesus *not* do?

Take a made for TV movie add a few torture scenes and what you get is Untraceable. Nothing horrible but nothing worthwhile either. I feel so bad for Diane Lane if this is what her career has come too, she's good in safe female based rom/coms but is better than sub-par films like this.

Grade C-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:14 am
He didn't look busy?!

Silence of the Lambs for the internet age? Not quite. Still, it was better than I expected, and it had some good moments. Joseph Cross was well-cast.

C

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

C+

Not too bad. The ending is very stupid considering the serial killer was some kind of genius.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:54 pm
You must have big rats

It was one of the bigger recent surprises to me actually. I pretty much agree with Libs on this one, only give it an even better grade. It was a surprisingly effective and interesting serial killer flick. It's basically Saw with an internet-touch. It's pretty laughable as any kind of a satire or social comment, but works very well as a thriller most of the time.

Diane Lane (who's in Ashley Judd-female-thriller-lead-mode here) is as reliable as ever and does a solid, if routnied job. Colin Hanks has some nice lines and makes a positive impression as well. Billy Burke's role feels rather useless, though. His character really adds nothing to the film, IMO. The killer is sadly bland and just doesn't look threatening enough at any point (doesn't help that he looks like he's 16). I've gotta say that the death traps were surprisingly nifty and rather innovative. The Saw-fan in myself appreciated - some sick stuff here. However, thankfully, it didn't primarily rely on gross-out moments and gore, but also had a fair share of suspense injected into the film.

Now the ending brought the things down a bit. Not only that Lane's character became kinda stupid, as Libs has pointed out, but also the whole explanation for the killer's motives seemed rather stupid and pulled out of thing air. If you manage to look past this flaw, though, you'll be delivered one of the better serial killer-themed flicks of the recent times. It doesn't mean it's great, but considering the likes of Taking Lives pr Twised, it's at least solid.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

UNTRACEABLE - 7/10 (B-)

Don't have a whole lot to say about it, but I like Diane Lane a lot and even though her performance isn't brilliant she is very likeable in the lead role and helps make things much more interesting. Basically it's your average run-of-the-mill thriller, but a pretty good one.

Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 pm
College Boy Z

Not bad, not great. It does the job, I guess. Like everyone else said, the end is lame, but overall, this could have been worse. Diane Lane is pretty good here, too.

Sun May 18, 2008 1:10 am
Superman: The Movie

An instantly forgettable, but somewhat decent thriller. Just like everyone else said, the ending is kind of lame and the film seems to end a little too abruptly (at least give us a little bit of closure) but thanks to Lane's performance and the idea of the film, it offers something a little different. But as I said, it's instantly disposable. If the film had given us a stronger villian it might have been something memorable. I don't have a problem with who the villian is within the context of the movie, it's just that when all is said and done, he's a pyschotic nerd.

**1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:16 am
Profile WWW
htm

Woah, this was unbearably awful. Instead of talking about why it completely fails to thrill, I'm going to go the gay route.

Ty Giordano is hot. I'm happy he's getting work. I wish he'd get to play the gay deaf brother more often - I want a Family Stone sequel. Really. hot.

Having met Joseph Cross in person, this movie totally failed to make him hot. I want a sexy AND angry serial killer. He was mostly just angsty. I attribute this to his mediocre acting skills more than the shitty screenplay, but whatever.

Diane Lane is looking good, too. She's the queen of the B-list.

Still... this could've been so much better. Stick to Silence of the Lambs if you want creepster, but you people already knew that. :mer:

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 am
The Wall

Gave it 4/10 -> D when I saw it in theater a few months ago.

Lame attempt at cat and mouse thriller.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:06 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I thought it was a total waste of time. Hated it. D-

Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:34 am
Profile WWW
now we know

A by-the-numbers serial killer mystery with little originality and a generic script. Diane Lane, Colin Hanks and Twilight's Billy Burke are no more impressive than TV stars here.

A serial killer begins to kill people live on the Internet, an FBI agent loses sleep trying to catch him, the agents' friend is one of the victims, the agent then gets taken off the case because it's too personal, then the killer goes after the agent, the agent escapes from capture and kills the killer. The end. We've seen it all before, and in various combinations.

Two points of stupidity were when Diane Lane, a relatively small and thin woman can break a car window with only her elbow and be in full health afterwards, no broken bones, not even a holding-the-elbow-to-show-it-hurts grimace, just nothing. The other is the the scene on the bridge when her car has stopped working, she glanced over the back seat (which is where the killer was), why not check it thoroughly? and how could he have talked to her on a phone when she was inside the car and she not hear him? Very silly.

There was obviously a broader social message about how we are a sadistic society and if we are not committing the crime, we are interested to watch it, but this isn't developed further than one or two lines. I suppose it's true, as youtube is proof of our love of voyeurism, but the movie isn't sophisticated enough to drop the standard serial killer theme in favour of a riskier statement of society's habits.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Morse Code Blinking, need I say more.

D+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]