Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Teeth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Teeth 

Post Teeth
Teeth

Quote:
Teeth is a 2007 comedy horror film written and directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein, about a teenage girl who has teeth in her vagina. It premiered January 19, 2007 at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival in the independent drama category. It was released on DVD in the United States on May 6, 2008, by Dimension Extreme.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Teeth
An incredibly original and hilarious horror-comedy hybrid that takes pride in its utter ridiculousness. The beginning of the film plays out like a typical teen film in the vein of Saved, with the central characters all preaching abstinence around their school despite their own sexual longings. In the middle of it all is Dawn (Jess Wexler), a sweet, naive girl who values her purity like no other. It is when she meets a new student named Tobey (Hale Appleman) that things start to get out of hand - and the film becomes so utterly far-fetched and goofy that it is literally impossible to resist. The creators of this film take pride in knowing that their film is campy - so all of the actors play it up and make this an incredibly enjoyable experience. Wexler gives a strong lead performance and is charismatic and likable in the role. This is far from being a great film, but it's just so entertaining and provided so many laughs that it's hard not to enjoy it. B+

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 pm
Profile YIM
Orphan

I so want to see this. Why couldn't Overture Films have distributed quirky films like this wide instead of generic films like Mad Money? I realize that they didn't distribute it at all but Senator, another new distributor, has said that it's their goal to bring films with a unique vision that normally would get limited releases to a wider audience.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was laughing so hard I was crying during somes scenes (namely a sequence at the gynecologist) :funny: And the packed audience I saw it with was in hysterics as well.

Do not be fooled by the trailers/TV spots though. This is NOT a horror film that is meant to be taken seriously. The ads calling it the "next great horror masterpiece" are completely misleading.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:23 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Joe wrote:
I so want to see this. Why couldn't Overture Films have distributed quirky films like this wide instead of generic films like Mad Money? I realize that they didn't distribute it at all but Senator, another new distributor, has said that it's their goal to bring films with a unique vision that normally would get limited releases to a wider audience.

Senator is distributing the great-looking All The Boys Love Mandy Lane this summer, so they're on the right track :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Apart from the occasional flashes of camp brilliance (like the scene at the gynecologist or the second chopping off) it's a very awkward movie. It's pity though because the concept is a cool one and would make for a great black humor horror movie, but the execution is completely sub-par.

Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Really liked it but everyone else I watched it with thought it was horrible and stupid.

Sun May 11, 2008 7:49 pm
Begging Naked

Spoilers:

http://wannabesnob.blogspot.com/2008/05/teeth-m-lichtenstein-2008.html

Quote:
Ever since I decided to blog my opinions on every 2008 release I see, I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the titles that are...less than deserving of detailed thoughts. Unfortunately I was left to confront this problem a lot sooner than I would've hoped with Teeth, a promising but ultimately underwhelming indie horror flick that was a breakout at last year's Sundance Film Festival.

Perhaps what is most disappointing about Teeth is that for such a brilliant concept, its screenplay is sorely underdeveloped. One major giveaway to this is the initial motivations of our main character Dawn (Played as well as the material will allow by Jess Weixler). We are first formally introduced to Dawn at an seminar for abstinence, and they drive it home quite heavily that she firmly believes this. However, I never felt as though we were really given an adequate reason for her strong beliefs. Her passion for the issue seems to point towards religious reasons, but the film never really touches on her beliefs, and her household seems fairly indifferent to it. I'm not saying she should be a crazy Christian or anything, but it just feels as though Lichtenstein felt that it would be great to make her an abstinence advocate but left it at that.

Then there are the plot issues, or more the way Lichtenstein goes about executing them. The film just doesn't feel complete, more like the origin story for a saga that probably won't be continued in cinematic form. We brush along the mythology of vagina dentata and how it must be conquered, but ultimately never is over the course of the film. The film's climax with Dawn's evil stepbrother also feels too sudden and too insignificant. The main reason for this would probably be that for the majority of the film the stepbrother Brad never feels like that much of an adversary, outside of his open romantic feelings for stepsister Dawn. The decision to have him suddenly release his vicious dog on his own dad and then getting the blame for his stepmom landing in the hospital seems like the movie is trying to hard to create a villain for the film to end on, kinda like Nick Nolte in Hulk.

Not all is bad or disappointing in the film though. The much-discussed gynecologist scene was worth the hype in its disturbingness and hilarity, with a memorable bit role played by John Pias as the unfortunate gynecologist. Weixler turns in a fine breakout performance, and I would love to see her more often now. Also, the above problems about plotting could probably be corrected if there was ever a sequel made (Which might be hard, since it was such a blip at the box office). In the end, a disappointing spin on a promising idea.

I would also love to hear makeshift's thoughts on this.

Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I thought it was brill.

Viciously funny and hilariously gross, it very clearly defines its tone in the opening moments and sticks to that throughout. There's this air of ridiculousness lying just below the surface, but the script and actors play it so straight that the film becomes clever instead of silly. The naïve young love story morphing into (essentially) a rape revenge tale is a brilliant mix of styles and it's pulled off remarkably well.

Of course, it's due in no small part to the terrific performance of Weixler, who manages to move her character from wide-eyed innocence to malicious evil in a completely natural and progressive path, even with the bare minimum of dialogue. She never overacts or resorts to ridiculous facial expressions to create her performance, and yet it's still impressive. A real breakout turn.

Though the narrative seems light or underdeveloped, I think it works perfectly because it provides a satisfying arc while never taking away from the overall mood of the movie. You know exactly where the film will end up before it does, but it's not disappointingly predictable, it's refreshingly simple. By the time Dawn smiles at the end, the film has told its story and it ends right on cue. It's an effectively efficient screenplay, and it works perfectly.

Definitely one of the highlights of the year thus far.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]