Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Persepolis 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Persepolis 

Post Persepolis
Persepolis

Quote:
Persepolis is a 2007 French animated film based on Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel of the same name. The film was written and directed by Satrapi with Vincent Paronnaud. The story follows a young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian Revolution. The story ends with Marjane as a 24-year-old expatriate. The title is a reference to the historic city of Persepolis.

The film won the Jury Prize at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival and was released in France and Belgium on June 27. In her acceptance speech, Satrapi said "Although this film is universal, I wish to dedicate the prize to all Iranians." The film was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, but lost to Ratatouille.

The film was released in the United States on December 25, 2007 and in the United Kingdom on 24 April 2008.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Post Re: Persepolis
Copy & paste from the awards forum...

Quote:
I've never seen a movie so personal deal with issues that are so huge and ultimately universal. And it does so in an almost entirely visual manner. The aesthetics of Persepolis are so inventive and so finely tuned and sharpened that you could watch it on mute and still get most of the impact. This is a shining example of the power expressionistic movie making is capable of. What we have here is essentially your basic coming of age story, with a very smooth and simple narrative that is crafted like a flashback and broken up into specific time frames, that is jam-packed with worldly themes and concepts - religion, war, oppression, feminism, puberty, love - that are viewed from an entirely subjective perspective in an aesthetically consistent and beautiful manner. Things that have become drilled into our collective subconscious to look and feel a certain way become entirely new and fresh in Persepolis. The war scenes, for example, look like something out of Fritz Lang's M, as opposed to the Private Ryan "YOU ARE THERE" aesthetic we have been spooned by filmmakers lately. And it is all because of the bold and striking animation. This completely reinvents the wheel when it comes to the potential power of animated filmmaking.

I told myself a couple of weeks ago that it would take a miracle for a movie to enter the heights of my two designated masterpieces this year (No Country and Jesse James). Persepolis is a miracle. It is simultaneously hilarious, heartbreaking, heart warming, informative, beautiful, stirring... any arbitray adjective you wanna throw at this movie is going to stick like fucking glue.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:38 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

This is a remarkable achievement. This is what animation can do when you utilize it for reasons other than letting the animals talk and dance. I'm not soon going to forget Persepolis.

Makeshift, you said it beautifully. Movies can occasionally give me chills, but I think I got them every 5 minutes for the entire duration of this thing.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The thing I loved most about this film was its ability to turn the visuals into a strong leg of dialogue itself. like the judgemental women looking like serpents or that terrific snippet of the waste of the Iran-Iraq war Persepolis takes full advantage fot its medium and delivered a nuanced tale that deserves recogniton at awards time.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:54 am
Kypade

Ok, I lied, I am going to watch this before the deadlines for awards and top 10s and stuff.
That's three opinions in a row I can't ignore.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:58 pm
Extraordinary

What is it with these abrupt endings lately?
But yeah...I really liked it, but I ultimately felt something was missing. It was beautiful, moving, funny and smart, but it never had me 100% engaged. Maybe it just bordered a little bit to on bio-pic for me.
That said, it was still a very good, very well made film. Almost makes my top 10 of the year. It just didn't give me enough to think about, I suppose...not really the talking-piece I thought it would be.
Eh...my review's coming off more negative than it's meant to be. This really is nearly excellent, and is a nice cap-off to a great year for animation (Paprika, Ratatouille, The Simpsons, and now this).
B+

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:23 pm
Extraordinary

Religion's age old story of preaching love and practising hate, rears it's ugly head in this coming of age tale set in Iran. A good reminder to not mix up faith and religion and to never let religion gain power in our society.

The animation was striking and beautifully expressive in it's simplicity. What a great translation of the graphic novel to the screen! Marjane's story, while an interesting one that is seldom told in the western world for obvious political reasons, seemed almost too typically listless and ordinary on a personal level. I suppose that is illuminating, in that her life could be so boring amidst the tumultuous backdrop, but as the screenplay for a movie, it lacked oomph. I guess I just would have liked to see a more interesting person's life story. Still, the characters that made up the rest of her family, all had interesting stories to tell, and her grandmother was especially memorable.

Definitely worth seeing.

4 out of 5.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:32 am
loyalfromlondon

I pretty much agree with Bradley.

Though the external events that the story is set during are pretty fascinating and handled well, I was never really invested or even interested in Marji's story. I found her to be a rather unlikeable protagonist, and thus I was either annoyed or bored by most of her coming-of-age development. Aside from this, though, the film is astonishing. There are really no words for how unbelievably expressive and vivid the animation is, and the wonderfully composed images are a testament to this. With a stronger story, this could have been something really special, but I'll settle for something refreshingly different in a genre that's in pretty poor shape these days.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

yoshue wrote:
This is a remarkable achievement. This is what animation can do when you utilize it for reasons other than letting the animals talk and dance. I'm not soon going to forget Persepolis.

I couldn't agree more.
Persepolis is a breath of fresh air in the ever stagnating world of modern film animation that is dominated by Hollywood.

Grade A

I'm just sad that this film is being released domestically by Sony pictures classics, the studio were great films go to die, instead of another distributor who would put the proper promotion behind this film to help it find the audience it so richly deserves.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:40 am
Cream of the Crop

Such a captivating animation - the images here are more meaningful than dozens of CGI films in the past, with a witty sense of humour and a well handled political (and not so political) message. And not a single talking animal in sight for once! The closest we have here is that hilarious dog prefering the action to the talking. :lol: Wonderful stuff. I'm officially rooting for it to take the Animated Oscar next Sunday.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I thought it lost its footing a little near the end, keeping it from being truly excellent, but this is definitely the rare film that mixes sheer beauty and a smart, tight (Somewhat) screenplay, making for an excellent experience. I could see it improving on repeat viewings. P.S. I love Grandma.

***1/2

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Has anyone seen the redubbed version of Persepolis, now in English?

Catherine Deneuve returns as the voice of Marjane's mother, but now added to the cast are the voices of Sean Penn, Gena Rowlands, Iggy Pop among others...

Quote:
Link...

While some of the cast remains the same - Catherine Deneuve is the English voice of the mother, and the adult Marjane is played by Chiara Mastroianni (Deneuve's daughter) - there are a few interesting variations. Sean Penn lends his voice to Marji's father, Ebi, and Uncle Anouche sounds suspiciously like Iggy Pop. Gena Rowlands even pops up as the grandmother, taking the place of Danielle Darrieux.

Of course, a few choice lines in the movie were already in English; most notably Marji's strangely accented, delightfully mangled rendition of Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger," accompanied by her best Rocky imitation as she vaults out of bed and out of her depression. Then there are the muttered voices of fences, who peddle bootleg "Jichael Mackson" and Iron Maiden cassettes, along with black-market cosmetics and Nike sneakers, on the streets near her school.

The slogan on Marji's jacket, "Punk Is Not Ded," will stay misspelled [ aside from the language, the film is unchanged, according to a representative from the Sony Pictures Classic press office. This time around, Marji's Viennese roommate, hairy armpits and all, will be flummoxed by her English rather than her French. The lederhosen and yodeling will remain lost in translation.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 am
invading your spaces

Yadda yadda yadda...

A+

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I gave it an 8/10 (B+).

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Wonderfully animated film that really takes a very troubling subject and puts it on the screen beautifully. A-

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]