Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Awake (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Awake (2007) 

Post Awake (2007)

Quote:
Awake is a 2007 American crime/supernatural/conspiracy thriller written and directed by Joby Harold. It stars Hayden Christensen, Jessica Alba, Terrence Howard and Lena Olin. The film was released in the United States and Canada on November 30, 2007.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Awake
A complete surprise.

http://worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31121

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Entertaining, crackling little thriller that gets the job done.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:17 am
Extraordinary

Errrr... sorry guys, I know we're not supposed to like Awake, ya know RottenTomatoes 'n' Metacritic an' all that, but danged if it this gem of a flick just t'weren't a great little thrilla'...

But as the age old tale goes: The studio hires a visionary whose vision doesn't end up matching their own, and therefore merits a conspicuously unceremonious burial by public opinion (or at least the best "public opinion" money can buy)...

Of course, I got no beef (like some) with Hayden Christensen, I've liked him right from The Virgin Suicides; and I, for one, have no trouble imagining that Jessica Alba
Spoiler: show
can be a very, very bad girl;
and finally, Terrence Howard and Lena Olin add the requisite weight that this type of melodrama demands as ballast for it's heavily listing heeling into the wind...

The premise is rock solid in it's fluidity, and the hand that the writer/director guides this ship through the dream state of aenesthesia is masterful in it's scalpel-like precision...

This is a very good movie, don't let the car horns distract you, and whatever ya do, don't forget the name... Joby Harold. That's a guy you're going to be hearing a lot more from in the future...

{ BTW: After clamorous requests for the return of the original Bradley Witherberry Patented Grading System® , I have decided to acquiesce, and resume my classic grading system. (Your welcome.) }

7 out of 5.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 am
Where will you be?

First off, thank you bradley. Secondly, this film's plot and now it's reception on here vs. with critics is reminding me of Stay... Anyone whose seen both think they're at all comparable?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:50 am
Extraordinary

MovieDude wrote:
First off, thank you bradley.

Good God Man - - don't be going and reading a review on a movie like this! Anyone else who is in here without having seen it - - STOP READING NOW!!!

MovieDude wrote:
Secondly, this film's plot and now it's reception on here vs. with critics is reminding me of Stay... Anyone whose seen both think they're at all comparable?

Stay was much more ethereal/philosophical, while Awake is more of a down and dirty practical thriller, though both use some similar dream-style mechanics to advance the plot.

Actually, it would make for a cool double bill:

Be sure to STAY AWAKE for Stay & Awake!!!

:shock:

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:48 am
Stanley Cup

an average film until the last 20 awful minutes

D+

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:23 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I'm going to have to give this a strong B.

This was definitely entertaining and a surprise. Does not deserve the harsh treatment it got from the critics. I have a newfound respect for Roger Ebert too, as he is one of the only few people to give it a decent review.

I think this has to be Jessica Alba's best performance, same with Christensen. both believable. In fact the entire cast is. Lena Olin though, she's amazing.

Loved the flashback scenes. I really recommend this.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:08 am
Extraordinary

With Awake being released on DVD this week, this thread should see an influx of new viewers wondering how this great little film could have been so sabotaged by it's marketing (and of course, by marketing I naturally include the negative corporate media reviews)...

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:57 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
With Awake being released on DVD this week, this thread should see an influx of new viewers wondering how this great little film could have been so sabotaged by it's marketing (and of course, by marketing I naturally include the negative corporate media reviews)...

I pity the fool who buys the DVD.

This film wasn't sabotaged by the corporate media, it was sabotaged by it sheer awfullness. It went after the tween audience and failed to capture them plain and simple.

And as far as the movie go's it sucked. Bad acting from all involved and an ending that is literally shown to you in the opening credit sequence. Not that this film was overly complex and recquired a whole lot of brain power to figure out anyway.

And after back to back terrible performances last year (Awake, Perfect Holiday) Terrence Howard should start hoping they don't rescind his Oscar.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:38 am
Stanley Cup

The Mr Pink wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:

I pity the fool who buys the DVD.

This film wasn't sabotaged by the corporate media, it was sabotaged by it sheer awfullness. It went after the tween audience and failed to capture them plain and simple.

And as far as the movie go's it sucked. Bad acting from all involved and an ending that is literally shown to you in the opening credit sequence. Not that this film was overly complex and recquired a whole lot of brain power to figure out anyway.

And after back to back terrible performances last year (Awake, Perfect Holiday) Terrence Howard should start hoping they don't rescind his Oscar.

agree with everything u just said

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

Howard didn't actually win the Oscar

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm
Extraordinary

This has an "average of raters like you" score of 1.2/5 for me on Netflix. That's potentially one of the lowest I've ever seen.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Shack wrote:

My Bad :oops:

I think we can agree that he's doing everything he can to ensure that he's never nominated for another one again.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:03 am
He didn't look busy?!

Despite the mainstream reviews being godawful, the great response elsewhere is making me bite. I'm gonna give this a rent.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

The movie has an intriguing plot but I knew not to expect this movie to do the concept justice. That doesn't mean the movie isn't entertaining enough. I enjoyed it and the time flew by. But Hayden Christensen's voice-over during the surgery is completely unconvincing. Thinking about your girlfriend is not going to be enough to block out the pain and he seems so nonchalant when they're cutting him open. Basically, he just says stuff like, "Oh no," "What's happening?," "Come on guys, I'm awake," etc... And besides one part he does so with no real emotion behind it. It was just really unrealistic. Where's the Hayden who gave such a great performance in Shattered Glass? It must have been a fluke because other than in that film he's just not a very good actor. Luckily for him he's not bad looking, and besides in the surgery scenes his casual approach (or just call it his limited acting range) works fine. Jessica Alba, one of the most untalented actresses working today, gives the same wooden performance as usual, and I'd expect nothing else. Also giving a poor performance is Terrence Howard, who is such an overrated one-note actor. I think he's probably worse than Alba in this. This is some cast they lined up for this movie. They all need to go back to acting school.

Despite its flaws, and there are many (you can see every single twist coming before you even watch it), the movie is an entertaining one that I did like.

7/10 (B-)

I'm sorry but some people's thoughts on this movie are ridiculous (just read reviews on IMDB). This is not a brilliant movie by any means, the performances aren't great, and anyone who doesn't see the twists coming has never watched a movie with twists before. It's not even just my opinion, it's a fact :P.

And STAY is better than this. They have nothing in common.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 am
Wallflower

The Mr Pink wrote:

I agree. He sucks and he is so horrible here!

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 am
Veteran

D+. Well this is what you deserve when you cast both Alba and Hayden in the same movie. My God this was awful. And Terrance Howard, wtf was going on?

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:09 pm
Superman: The Movie

The Mr Pink wrote:
Shack wrote:

My Bad :oops:

I think we can agree that he's doing everything he can to ensure that he's never nominated for another one again.

He hasn't gone the Cuba Gooding Jr. route quite yet.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A decent thriller that ends up being quite entertaining. The twist is quite obvious from the getgo, but it's continuously interesting and stylish - and parts of it are quite chilling. The ending is a bit ridiculous though, and the performances are average at best. Still, I enjoyed it. B-

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Surprisingly good. Completely predictable, yeah, but a slick, entertaining thriller.

B

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 pm
Speed Racer

Um I liked it at first, but notso much anymore

C-

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 am
Extraordinary

Was in a rush to rent something tonight and there was nothing screaming "rent me" so I ended up with this.

I actually ended liking this film. I thought the actors did a decent job and the story was interesting. The "twist" if you wanna call it that was pleasant. I probably would have liked the film less had they gotten away with it. They didn't delve into the anesthesia awareness phenomenon but just thinking about that possibility is freaky anyway.

grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:13 am
You must have big rats

C+

Most critics hated this movie whereas a lot of people on this site actually liked it a lot. I fall somewhere in between. Awake is certainly not a bad movie, but it rarely rises above average. The problem is that while the film's premise is intriguing, it's pretty hard to spin a whole storyline out of it. I mean, alright, some people wake up during the surgery, but they are paralyzed. So, it's terribly painful and all.....and what exactly shall a movie do with a premise like this? Obviously they had to put a twist into the story. Now I'll admit, I was spoiled about the twist prior to seeing the film and I assume that knowing how the whole thing turns out just spoils a lot of fun. Even then, though, half of the twist is pretty predictable anyway (you know something's gonna happen aside from him waking up), the other part of the twist not so much, though...

I think I mainly had two issues with this film. First of all, it simply doesn't have enough of a good story to fill even its short 84-minutes running time. It would be probably good for some episode of a TV series, but not for a feature-length film. So a lot of scenes in the film seem unnecessary and act as fillers. My second issue is the very mediocre acting by Alba and Christensen and given that they are the film's main characters, it just detracts from the experience.

On the other hand, Lena Olin's turn was pretty great and Terrence Howard....well, he's Terrence Howard, meaning that he turns in good performances even in very average movies. He wasn't given much to work with here, but he does best out of it.

So, on the whole, the movie's a mixed bag. The performances range from very good to very mediocre. It's based on an intriguing concept that just doesn't work well enough in feature length and the added stuff is as generic as it gets, but at 80 minutes running time (without the credits) it doesn't get to the point where it starts to bore the audiences.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]