Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Dogville 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

Dogville 
College Boy Z

Post Dogville
Dogville

Quote:
Dogville is a 2003 drama written and directed by Lars von Trier, and starring Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, Chloë Sevigny, Paul Bettany, Stellan Skarsgård, Udo Kier, and James Caan. It is a parable that uses an extremely minimal, stage-like set to tell the story of Grace Mulligan (Kidman), a woman hiding from mobsters, who arrives in the small mountain town of Dogville and is provided refuge in return for physical labor. Because she has to win and keep the acceptance of every single one of the inhabitants of the town to be allowed to stay, any attempt by her to do things her own way or to put a limit on her service risks driving her back out into the arms of the criminals. Although she has no power in herself, her stay there ultimately changes the lives of the local people and the town in many ways.

The film is the first in Von Trier's projected USA - Land of Opportunities trilogy, followed by Manderlay (2005) and to be completed with Wasington. The film was in competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2003 Cannes Film Festival but Gus Van Sant's Elephant won the award. It was screened at various film festivals before receiving a limited release in the US on March 26, 2004.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:28 pm
Extraordinary

Such a crazy movie. I have to see it again as I don't think I absorbed everything in just 1 viewing but this is a great film. Nicole Kidman, while not her best role is fantastic in this. The whole supporting cast is great, especially Patricia Clarkson (even though she didn't have a very large role she manages to give a great performance) and Paul Bettany. If you can get past the first 30 minutes and the fact that the whole film takes place on a sound stage then I'm sure you'll at least find the film very well made and entertained, even at the leanth of 3 hours.

Oh yeah, the ending rocked. :razz: \:D/ I should see this again.

- A-/B+

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:18 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

I finally ended up watching this for a second time, and while it wasn't as...easy to sit through it (I don't want to say that since I wasn't bored, I mean just...obviously it's not gonna be as entertaining or whatever), it did increase my appreciation for the film and solidified its status as a masterpiece in my eyes.

Great perfomances from every single actor...Paul Bettany, Patricia Clarkson, and Nicole Kidman stand out because Bettany and Kidman have the most screen time and Clarkson has the most memorable character, but everyone else is equally good. I'm not sure if this is Kidman's best performance...I still think her range in Moulin Rouge is incredible, but it's one of this year's best performances, easily so it's a shame it's not getting the recognition it deserves.

The second time around, though, I surprisingly found the last 15 minutes even more disturbing, gut-wrenching at times, than the first time. Really powerful, and strange considering you don't really "see" anything.

And again, it's not criticism on America, or on one single thing for that matter, and because of that it works so well. And yes, it's a little exxagerated, and there's not a single light of hope in the movie, but despite that it often rings true to life which makes it eerily disturbing, but that's why it works in the first place.

A

Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Disturbing, but fascinating. While I still prefer Von Trier's earlier Dancer In The DArk, this is an interesting movie that will make you think and ponder for many days. I still don't know how to grade it. Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, and Patricia Clarkson are the standouts but the whole cast is very good. If I ever have time, I'll watch it again.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

B- It was interesting to watch but 3hrs is way to long! I thought the ending was great and very fitting.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

A compelling, disturbing and completely engrossing film. While the sparse sets can be a distraction at times, it also in many ways allows the movie to succeed beyond the visual aspects. The ending was easily the most disturbing part of the film. A bit overlong, and some areas could be cut to allow the pacing to flow a little better.

8.2/10 (A-) and #15 of all time

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:55 pm
College Boy Z

A compelling, disturbing and completely engrossing film. While the sparse sets can be a distraction at times, it also in many ways allows the movie to succeed beyond the visual aspects. The ending was easily the most disturbing part of the film. A bit overlong, and some areas could be cut to allow the pacing to flow a little better.

8.2/10 (A-) and #15 of all time

#15 of all time and it's only an A-? :razz: :wink:

What's Hotel Rwanda, then? #7? :D

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:00 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

My list is rather short, did you not know? Actually, Dogville is in my top 25, I haven't decided on its position yet.

And Hotel Rwanda is high on my list. That's all I shall say for now (no, its not #1).

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:40 pm
Forum General

I adore Dogville, it's disturbing and completely engrossing. I don't understand how anyone would be able to call this film "boring." I can't believe the bad reviews it got!! Dogville is completely, 100% underrated.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Last edited by movies35 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I agree, it was very engrossing. The lack of sets while in some ways didn't allow distraction were in themselves distracting. It was just an odd film, not what I expected but it was still quite good.

By the way, what is with the massive picture?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:22 pm
Forum General

Sorry, I was just seeing how big it would be on there :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Profile YIM
Kypade

First, I deleted my last post cuz it was incomprehensible/incoherent/incompetent. Basically, it just said that Dogville stands as the film whose non-filmic surrounding conditions and content are most clear in my mind. Er. I can picture the outside factors (where I was, what I was doing, etc) while watching the movie, and the stuff actually in the movie more clearly than the vast majority of films I watch.

Just FYI, in case anyone happened to have seen the post and now does not see it.

Now, I just rewatched this...dolce's thread + someone's post about wanting to rewatch it + seeing it at the library got me kinda hyped to see it again...this is only my second viewing ever, and it's probably been like a year or so since my first.

It really hit me a lot harder than the first viewing. And I really liked it a lot more.

Coupla things.

1. Kidman's performance is one of the very best of recent years. (Like, top 5 of the decade, probably.)

2. I have no idea what to think of the ending. I almost want to agree with PE1 up there, but then I realize if I did I would probably not be human. (No offense, to those who thought it "rocked.") I just can not decide about it.

3. I forgot my number three, but I'll respond to this instead:

Quote:
And again, it's not criticism on America, or on one single thing for that matter, and because of that it works so well. And yes, it's a little exxagerated, and there's not a single light of hope in the movie[.] [B]ut despite that it often rings true to life which makes it eerily disturbing, but that's why it works in the first place.
First of all, I pretty much disagree word for word. :up:

Sorry, Rod (?) I lost all my ambition to actually finish this post and had to delete everything else I typed. I do really disagree, though. :o

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:28 am
Extraordinary

Post Dogville: Ambitious Triumph!
Well this one restored my faith in the film medium - Wow! A twisted, allegorical, meditation on the true nature of Christianity in America's sordid underbelly exposed for all to see - it literally turns Our Town inside out. The overall visual concept of the film is ultra-audacious, and to my mind, entirely successful. The acting from the entire cast (which includes some marvellously unexpected choices like Ben Gazzara, Chloe Sevigny, and Lauren Bacall) was chillingly real. A masterpiece.

6 out of 5.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:37 am
We had our time together

Dogville is easily one of the biggest surprises I've ever seen. I rented it just because I was bored and wanted to see what's it about. And yeah it may starts a bit slow but once I was into it I couldn't stop watching at my screen. Also one of the shortest 3h movies ever. This is my favorite performance as Kidman. She was just great. But Bryce Dallas Howard from Manderlay is as good as Kidman as Grace. A

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

I did see this tonight the first time and I have to say wow......this may be the first "theater " play I liked. Actually I have sometimes problems when artists want to show us the bad things of life in an artistic way. I always feel it sometimes is just cheesy and I ask myself if serious stuff should really be done so. But I had absolutely no problem with Dogville. And you also absolutely forget how long the movie actually is.

Dogville is one of the rare artsy fartsy concept that deals with serious matters that really works for me. I also like the entire set idea.
well gives a
9/10

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:13 pm
All Star Poster

awsome Film, disturbing, twisted and flat out Jaw dropping. this did not seem like a 3 Hour film to me. and Kidman's performance is one of the best this Decade.

A-

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]