Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Lions for Lambs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Lions for Lambs 

Post Lions for Lambs
Lions for Lambs

Quote:
Lions for Lambs is a 2007 American drama film about the connection between a platoon of United States soldiers in Afghanistan, a U.S. senator, a reporter, and a California college professor. It stars Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep, and Robert Redford. It was the first Cruise/Wagner Productions film since the company joined with United Artists subsequent to Cruise's falling out with Paramount Pictures in 2006.

With a title that alludes to incompetent leaders sending brave soldiers into the slaughter of battle, the film takes aim at the U.S. government's prosecution of the wars in the Middle East, showing three different simultaneous stories: a senator who launches a new military strategy and details it to a journalist on the edge of a mental breakdown, two soldiers involved in said operation, and their college professor trying to re-engage a promising student. The film was written by Matthew Michael Carnahan, and directed by Redford. It was released in North America on Friday, November 9, 2007, to negative reviews and disappointing box office receipts.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Post Re: Lions for Lambs
Featuring solid performances, raising many interesting questions. Yet, I was never engaged. It hits its message right to my head, but failed to do so effectively.
Most of the time, 'Lions for Lambs' featured two people in a room discussing over the politic issues. The lacking in depth, overtly preachy dialogue are what followed as the result. And those are some of what made this movie felt like a straight propaganda, a political statement disguised as a movie that spends its time screaming 'war is bad' but left no effective on me. And to be honest, it's boring.
This is a thinking man's movie, indeed. So, the balance is something I wouldn't bother to focus at the first place. After all, I'm on the same side with him.
The problem is not what he wanted to say, but the way he did that. You have a message but you don't know how to deliver it, no matter how loud your voice is or how great the message is (or how much I agree with you), the result is just like as if you say nothing.

**1/2 out of ***** (C+)

EDIT; back to C+, production speaking (cinematography, score etc.); nothing is memorable

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:54 pm
Stanley Cup

F.

Awful Awful Awful film. 90 minutes of just pure liberal bullshit. fucking awful

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:08 pm
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
F.

Awful Awful Awful film. 90 minutes of just pure liberal bullshit. fucking awful

Hmm... your review almost makes me want to see it now...

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:22 pm
He didn't look busy?!

all the hate surrounding this film is pretty lame. Sure, it's definitely got some problems, but it's as close to an even-handed political film as you're going to see from Hollywood, it features some very good performances, and it has a really nice message attached, that being not to go out and support Democrats, or support Republicans...it justs tells you to support SOMETHING. Being in high school, I can very surely say that most people my age don't care at all about politics, and it's a pity this film flopped, because it's really a film people should see. My personal favorite of the three stories was the Cruise/Streep debate, for it featured two great performances and the best-handled argument about the Middle-East. The nice short 90 minute runtime keeps things compact and never lets it drag, something political films often do. Sure, some of the humor didn't click, and the lines were sometimes cheesy, but this film has its heart in the right place, and for the most part succeeds in making its point, so I give it the thumbs-up, and really don't get why it got such a horrid reaction from basically everyone.

B

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

An incredibly underrated film that is equally compelling and thought-provoking. I thought the direction by Redford could have been better, but the fantastic performances made up for the bulk of the film's flaws. Both Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise were phenomenal and delivered two of the year's strongest supporting performances. All of the storylines were fascinating to watch, and one has to admire the message the film is trying to send. Anyways, I'd definitely recommend it. B+/A-

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:45 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Yeah, this is not good at all. Not a single memorable performance, poor direction, and it's overly preachy. Oh, and it's too long and boring, which is sad for an 88-minute flick.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Like it was written by a 10-year old boy who watches a whole lot of Hannity & Colmes. An epic piece of shit.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:25 pm
Speed Racer

I dont know what it is that amkes me like it so much, It could be that Im a hugh Tom Cruise fan, but i really liked the film

A-

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:35 pm
now we know

Lions for Lambs

This is probably one of the most important films to be made regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan invasions. There are so many interesting arguments in this film. Robert Redford, who I usually dislike and think is boring, has made a compelling and thought-provoking film that should stand the test of time as an example of the psyche in America during the last decade. This should be studied at universities. All of the performances are excellent; Cruise, Streep, Garfield and Redford. The music too, that one main title music track, is amazing.

If you're interested in this topic and have an opinion, watch this film as soon as possible, it's a must-see. I'm actually angry at myself for not seeing it sooner. The film doesn't really take sides, well, it kind of does, but it also offers counter-opinion too; it simply offers up questions and criticises inept political leadership, which I found to be perfectly in-line with my layered views. This is the #1 film to see if you're at all interested in the last 10 years of American military action abroad.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Pretty good film, it does little wrong, but it also isn't able to reach that higher level with me to be considered really memorable. Greatly cast without a doubt, everyone delivers, yet doesn't get a true moment to shine either. It's the lower profile role of Garfield, as well as the 2 soldiers which I probably appreciated more to make this a really good ensemble effort. Still it's just a joy seeing Redford, Streep and Cruise on screen, powerhouses of acting, they just unfortunately get too little to do, none of the angles (professors' office, military op, senator's office) get explored thoroughly enough for me to really get in to. Each are well staged though, and the fact the resounding anti-war message of the film speaks to me helps as well. With a good score going on as well, it ends up to be a nice addition to the leads' careers, just short to be ranked among their best. After The Legend of Bagger Vance, which I also liked, this is only the second Redford directed film I've seen and now it does make me want to see more.

B+

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]