Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 We Own the Night 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

We Own the Night 

Post We Own the Night
We Own the Night

Quote:
We Own the Night is a 2007 American crime drama film written and directed by James Gray and starring Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Wahlberg, Eva Mendes and Robert Duvall. It is the third film directed by Gray, and the second film to feature Phoenix and Wahlberg together, the first being The Yards. The film's title comes from the motto of the NYPD's Street Crimes Unit, which disbanded in 2002.

The film premiered May 25, at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival. It was released October 12, 2007 in the United States and Canada. It was released in the United Kingdom on December 14, 2007 and was released in Australia on February 28, 2008.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Post Re: We Own the Night
Meh. Not terrible, but not really the action flick I expected. Too slow and overly predictable, and the performances weren't anything note-worthy.

C

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:05 pm
Forum General

I wasn't expecting an action movie... :huh: I was always under the impression that it was a drama.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

movies35 wrote:
I wasn't expecting an action movie... :huh: I was always under the impression that it was a drama.

I didn't expect like a straight action flick, but more of a Departed kinda flick. Action wasn't the right word, but yeah.. it didn't deliver anything.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:47 am
Stanley Cup

i really liked it. Phoenix kicks ass in any movie he's in

A-

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:04 pm
Forum General

It was really entertaining and fun. It also included two of the best scenes of the year. There are definitely better movies out there to see in the crowded month of October (Across the Universe, Michael Clayton, Rendition, Gone Baby Gone) but if you've seen all of those and you want to be in for a nice little treat, I'd definitely recommend to see this.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

Fantastic character study. I only wish there were a few more scenes between Wahlberg and Phoenix. I think even though the brother dynamic looms over the film, I think the only thing keeping this back from being a great film, is that their relationship seems underdeveloped. It still works, but barely.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I walked out after 20 minutes, Michael Clayton was playing across the way and I just felt like watching that again instead. What I saw was mostly bland and boring, none of the characters really came off as believable and the way the plot was set off was sloppy and uninspired.

But hey, at least one of my lifelong questions was answered, that being does Eva Mendes have pink or brown nipples. Turns out, they're brown.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 am

Shack wrote:
I walked out after 20 minutes, Michael Clayton was playing across the way and I just felt like watching that again instead. What I saw was mostly bland and boring, none of the characters really came off as believable and the way the plot was set off was sloppy and uninspired.

But hey, at least one of my lifelong questions was answered, that being does Eva Mendes have pink or brown nipples. Turns out, they're brown.

Which part did you walk out on?

Give it a chance on DVD. The second and third acts are very strong.

And come on, you haven't seen Training Day? :funny:

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It was a bit after the church scene, Phoenix was doing drugs and partying with some people

I'll probably give it a go on dvd sometime, it wasn't as much horrendous as just C level typical stuff, just wasn't in the mood for it tonight. At least not as much as I was for a MC rewatch anyways.

And no I haven't seen TD. My video store doesn't carry it! I have to add it to my internet order que, which means it could be months till it arrives or just days, but anyways.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:31 am

Shack wrote:
And no I haven't seen TD. My video store doesn't carry it! I have to add it to my internet order que, which means it could be months till it arrives or just days, but anyways.

If you have any other questions about Eva Mendes'....er, um, watch that film. :D

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:

The above post is simply not worthy of the mighty Shack.

Shack wrote:

This is patently false. There is absolutely no way a viewer can ascertain their color based solely on viewing this film. The director's style choices in lighting, filters, and film stock render true color calibration impossible.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:10 am
Teh Mexican

I really didnt want to see this movie so i got dragged into it. Well im pretty much glad i saw it. Its pretty awesome. Overall great performances specially by Joaquin Phoenix.

A-

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm
We had our time together

I kinda liked the first half but I lost interest very fast once Wahlberg was shot. C

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Very surprising! I enjoyed this one a lot. I loved the atmospheric direction and the moody score, and the performances were all quite good. Joaquin Phoenix in particular was excellent. Definitley not the standard actioner I was expecting, but instead a fascinating character study that is worth checking out. B+

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

I quite enjoyed it. It was a pleasant surprise and I felt it was quite tense throughout. A little predictable but the performances more than make up for it.

Grade : B+/A-

BTW - they did look brown to me. Brown > Pink ;)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 pm
Teenage Dream

Let's talk about how undeservedly ignored this mini-masterpiece was last year. I finally caught it on DVD over the weekend, and I was totally blown away. Not only is it a completely different film than the oft-compared to (and unjustly so) the Departed, but it's also leagues better than it.

I loved the dichotomy between the drug-addled nightclub life and the buzz kill, stringent police life. It's probably the first American crime film I've ever seen where the law-abiding citizens are painted throughout as morose joy kills, slowly draining the pleasure out of life with their one-note morality. James Gray accomplishes this powerful juxtaposition the way any great filmmaker does; with his camera. We get it from the very beginning - stark black & white stills of police set to the melancholy sax of "I'll Be Seeing You" gives way to a stunning display of sexuality, bathed in warm colors, deep shadows and set to Blondie's "Heart of Glass". Most of it is in the details, though. Gray's camera picks up on things like food, decor and clothing, and they all add to the overall impact.

The movie was more subjective than I could have ever anticipated. It's told mostly from the perspective of Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix), and this is never more apparent than during the car chase in the rain. The music cuts, and we are leveled with the same sensory experience Bobby is having. It's the standout moment in a movie that has several.

So yeah, I was really surprised by this. It's classical Hollywood storytelling, so a lot of people will probably be turned off by that, but I think it goes places aesthetically and thematically that a lot of films of its type don't. I think the final twenty minutes or so are important (sorry bradford) because the film hits serious existential crisis heights. I loved the moment where Joe Grusinsky's (Wahlberg) emotional damage catches up to him. The shot of Bobby consoling him in the police cruiser after the shootout is powerful, and the movie probably should have closed on that.

BTW, the long close-in on Bobby kneeling at Amanda's (Eva Mendes) feet is masterful. Gray makes Mendes positively angelic in this movie with the lighting and framing he uses. Interesting to note how the camera comes less infatuated with her as Bobby starts to clean his act up. Towards the end of their relationship, we only see her trapped in their dank, lifeless hotel room, looking just as prosaic as her surroundings. It's another example of Gray's command over his film.

Wed May 14, 2008 7:01 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

The movie is one step above mediocre, but damn, I thought the car chase was riveting. I was surprised to find on IMDB and RT that almost everyone agreed, as I wasn't sure if it was just me. Gray did a perfect job making the scene appear like one of those realistic nightmares that you just want to wake up from but can't. And shooting it from the perspective of Bobby only highlighted this point even more. It was fantastic. That scene= A+. The rest= B-

Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 pm
You must have big rats

C+

Well, I didn't get much out of this film. It plays out pretty much exactly the same way as your usual corruption/mob/police flick. Sure, the basic situation is somewhat changed here with the focus shifted to the twisted family dynamics, but in the big picture that angle didn't really provide anything new. The acting was fine with Phoenix and Duvall standing out, whereas Mendes is really given nothing to do and Wahlberg comes across as rather bland.

It starts off well (I love the way the night club scenes were shot...great composition of music, sound and cinematography), but then descends into the generic cop/mafia movie hell. There are still a few great moments inbetween, like the terrifically filmed car chase in heavy rain, but on the whole the movie just doesn't have enough memorable moments to make itself stand out among the crop of similar films.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's actually rather terrific.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm
Stanley Cup

trixster wrote:
It's actually rather terrific.

agreed.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
Let's talk about how undeservedly ignored this mini-masterpiece was last year. I finally caught it on DVD over the weekend, and I was totally blown away. Not only is it a completely different film than the oft-compared to (and unjustly so) the Departed, but it's also leagues better than it.

I loved the dichotomy between the drug-addled nightclub life and the buzz kill, stringent police life. It's probably the first American crime film I've ever seen where the law-abiding citizens are painted throughout as morose joy kills, slowly draining the pleasure out of life with their one-note morality. James Gray accomplishes this powerful juxtaposition the way any great filmmaker does; with his camera. We get it from the very beginning - stark black & white stills of police set to the melancholy sax of "I'll Be Seeing You" gives way to a stunning display of sexuality, bathed in warm colors, deep shadows and set to Blondie's "Heart of Glass". Most of it is in the details, though. Gray's camera picks up on things like food, decor and clothing, and they all add to the overall impact.

The movie was more subjective than I could have ever anticipated. It's told mostly from the perspective of Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix), and this is never more apparent than during the car chase in the rain. The music cuts, and we are leveled with the same sensory experience Bobby is having. It's the standout moment in a movie that has several.

So yeah, I was really surprised by this. It's classical Hollywood storytelling, so a lot of people will probably be turned off by that, but I think it goes places aesthetically and thematically that a lot of films of its type don't. I think the final twenty minutes or so are important (sorry bradford) because the film hits serious existential crisis heights. I loved the moment where Joe Grusinsky's (Wahlberg) emotional damage catches up to him. The shot of Bobby consoling him in the police cruiser after the shootout is powerful, and the movie probably should have closed on that.

BTW, the long close-in on Bobby kneeling at Amanda's (Eva Mendes) feet is masterful. Gray makes Mendes positively angelic in this movie with the lighting and framing he uses. Interesting to note how the camera comes less infatuated with her as Bobby starts to clean his act up. Towards the end of their relationship, we only see her trapped in their dank, lifeless hotel room, looking just as prosaic as her surroundings. It's another example of Gray's command over his film.

still one of the best films of its year. coupled with two lovers, it becomes startlingly clear that james gray is a modern auteur to be reckoned with.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:15 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Indeed, its better than The Departed.

And I'd place it in the top 15 of 2007 (the best year of the last decade) so indeed very good.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 am
Forum General

I've been wanting to revisit this lately. I really enjoyed it in theaters and I think I would like it even more now.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Awesome! I finally got around to watching this after having it recommended to me on many occasions. With a good soundtrack (including some great 80s tunes, most notably Bowie's "Let's Dance" and the seductively used "Heart of Glass" by Blondie) a powerfully simple score, unexpected plot turns, a competent cast, and a relatable story, We Own the Night becomes one of only a handful of truly decent, mature cop dramas of the last 20 years.

Joaquin Phoenix performed brilliantly in a film that showcased the true nature of the narcotics scene. The unpredictability of the life of a cop in these circles is really given its time in this film; first with the biggest star getting a bullet through the face, then with the second biggest star being caught with a wire on his first informant mission, then to top it all off, their father gets shotgunned to death. It's a masterpiece of the trust game with a brotherly agenda thrown in for good measure.

I thoroughly enjoyed We Own The Night. I really had a sense of worry and panic in the scenes where characters were in danger of being caught. I'd have wished for the film to go on longer and really explore more of the fear of being "taken out" at any time, but that didn't deter from the strength of the film as is.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next