Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Paths of Glory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Paths of Glory 

Post Paths of Glory
Paths of Glory

Quote:
Paths of Glory is a 1957 American anti-war film by Stanley Kubrick based on the novel of the same name by Humphrey Cobb. Set during World War I, the film stars Kirk Douglas as Colonel Dax, the commanding officer of French soldiers who refused to continue a suicidal attack. Dax attempts to defend them against a charge of cowardice in a court martial.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Paths of Glory
I requested the film to be added.

Many of you need to see this film.

Its quite depressing really but really well made and there is pretty neat battle scene as well.
However this film looks at the dark side of war and the dark side of human nature.

Kubrick does a great job...

A

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

yeah through some hard work I convinced my university prof to show this film in our War history film class. We saw it and it easily much better then the boring French films we kept on seeing about WW1.

No doubt the class liked it a lot and I saw really no one sleeping. Some people were talking about the subject matter of the film and people said the film was quite depressing. In the tutorials usually everyone is sleeping but this week, we all had a great discussion about controversial aspects of the film.

I am happy really I made the class way more interesting.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Slightly overrated IMO. The characterizations are fairly broad and slightly annoying, and the performances don't make up for it much. Thematically though the film is quite excellent, and the actual execution scene is heartwrenching. So, definitely worth checking out, but not quite a masterpiece.

***/****

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Quote:
There's something to be said for watching this after a few hours of Call of Duty (and also followed by Harold + Kumar and something called The Giant Gila Monster - but that's another story), but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Suffice to say, the great disconnect between these two forms of entertainment, both dealing with war, is stunning and affecting.

This is a sobering and infuriating piece of work. The characters and dialogue are a little too on-the-nose and obvious, but I'd be lying if I said that they didn't anger me anyway. I'm rapidly getting the sense that Kubrick likes to deal with the dichotomy between superficial 'high' society and passionate 'low' society, and he expands on it here to great effect. The carefully chosen vocabulary of the various generals and other higher-ups contrasts exceedingly well with the dialectic slang of the soldiers, with Dax being somewhat of a bridge between the two classes. With that in mind, it's the eloquence and articulation of the generals as they call for soldiers to be made an example of that truly angers me, as their silver-tongued calls for patriotism and loyalty while they hide behind their fortifications is utterly maddening, if a bit heavy-handed.

But it's also in the depiction of the battlefield where the film really gets me. The utterly alien landscape of the trenches at night, as the patrol scampers about, is a suitable reflection of the totally inhuman trial that will soon dominate the film. Combined with the claustrophobic tracking shots through the trenches, as well as that great pan during the actual attack, this is as well-directed a film as Kubrick ever made. And that final scene, when the soldiers realize what they have lost and what war has done to them, is heartbreaking.

Simply one of the finest anti-war films ever made.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

Positive* Jon wrote:
Slightly overrated IMO. The characterizations are fairly broad and slightly annoying, and the performances don't make up for it much. Thematically though the film is quite excellent, and the actual execution scene is heartwrenching. So, definitely worth checking out, but not quite a masterpiece.

***/****

I pretty much agree.

It's a very good and well shot anti-war film, but not up there with Kubrick's masterpieces. Macready's character is a bit too moustache twirling evil for me.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:25 pm
Waitress in LA

Kubrick's anacrusis to illuminate mankind with the wisdom of a lone spirit.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It takes a while to really get started but once the battle scene occurs it is aces to the finish. Douglas commands this film really well and it truly is a classic anti-war film.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]