Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Nines 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Nines 

Post The Nines
The Nines

Quote:
The Nines is a 2007 psychological thriller / drama film, written, and directed by John August, and starring Ryan Reynolds, Hope Davis, Melissa McCarthy, and Elle Fanning. The film debuted at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, and made $63,165 in the U.S. box office through October 11, 2007.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Nines
Wow! This was surprisingly fantastic! I knew very little about it going in aside from the cast and general premise (that it told three different yet connected stories with the same actors). But it just blew me away. The screenplay and direction by John August was just fantastic - it was so interesting and I loved the way that everything played out, not to mention the whole thing was incredibly thought-provoking. And the performances were fantastic. Ryan Reynolds delivers a revelatory performance here that shows a whole new side to him as an actor - one that hasn't ever been seen before. He's fantastic in each of the three roles he plays and really delves deep into creating believable characters. Hope Davis is appropriately mysterious in several small roles, and Melissa McCarthy is adorable and funny as well. This film is strange and can be confusing at times, but if you really pay attention throughout it's one of the most enjoyable filmgoing experiences of the year. A must-see!

A-

BTW, Ryan Reynolds and a producer of the film attended the screening I went to and I got the chance to meet them. Reynolds is probably the nicest celebrity I've ever met :)

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:03 am
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

i've been wanting to see this film for a long time and I was not disappointed. I really liked the last story and the last 20 minutes were great.

B+

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:35 pm
Wallflower

THE NINES - 9/10 (A)

Wow! Just wow! This film was brilliant! I'm hit and miss when it comes to movies that are really odd and out there, and this one couldn't be more bizarre. But it's an entirely fascinating, unique vision that is so well-made and performed; with an impeccable visual style to boot. Ryan Reynolds and Melissa McCarthy (Gilmore Girls) are really exceptional in their roles. I loved the ending too, which was very satisfying and made me love the film even more. This film deserves the same legendary status as Donnie Darko. Any fan of that must see The Nines. I personally found this to be a highly superior film.

This is one of the year's best films, and easily the most original. It's a must see for anyone who likes to have their head messed with.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:46 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

I'm a sucker for weird movies. This one good, but alas there's only one Charlie Kaufman and one David Lynch... John August did a very solid job, both as a writer and director, but he still has some tricks to learn if he wants to play with the big guys of the WTF? genre.

Ryan Reynolds (if I ever decided to be gay, this would be the guy I'd do it for :funny: ) was great as usual (too bad his movies don't fall into the category of the more high profile ones), and Melissa McCarthy was cute and sweet as usual (though I'm afraid she pretty much kept 80% of Sookie in, but I'm not sure if this was a typcasting, or she plays every role similar - her Dena in Samantha Who? is also 80% Sookie).

The movie is confusing and all three stories are very intriguing. But the pay off was a bit underwhelming for me. It wasn't bad, but my reaction was just - Oh, cool....

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

A for me as well.

I had no idea what this movie was about. Having studied different religions in college, I was pleasantly surprised to find this to be a very existential movie, touching on the questions of who we are, who god is, etc..

What's really briallinat and touching is that the stories are auotbiorgraphical in some ways.

And yeah, amazing acting by Ryan Renolds, especially in part II. Need to watch again to grasp it.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:34 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Bizarre but very good once it got started. I felt the middle storyline was the weakest and didn't really make sense at some points, but the first and third were great. Reynolds did a fantastic job.

Knowing nothing about it going in made it even better I think. B+

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]