Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Straw Dogs (1971) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Straw Dogs (1971) 

Post Straw Dogs (1971)
Straw Dogs

Quote:
Straw Dogs is a 1971 domestic drama psychological thriller directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George. The screenplay by Peckinpah and David Zelag Goodman is based on the novel, The Siege of Trencher's Farm by Gordon Williams. The film's title derives from a discussion in the Tao Te Ching which likens the ancient Chinese ceremonial straw dog to forms without substance.

The film is noted for its violent concluding sequences and a complicated rape scene that critics point to as an example of Peckinpah's (and Hollywood's) debasement of women. Released theatrically the same year as A Clockwork Orange, The French Connection, and Dirty Harry, the film sparked heated controversy over the perceived increase of violence in cinema. Remaining controversial, it is nevertheless considered one of Peckinpah's greatest films. The film premiered in US cinemas on December 29, 1971.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Straw Dogs
Hmmm Peckinpah, this means.

Lots of violence
Funny looking blood
Lots of close ups and pregnant pauses.
Morally ambiguious characters

And of course always a great film.

Straw Dogs is one of his best, the examination of a weak willed man thrown into a rural malestrom that turns him into a ruthless creature of defense by the end is as hard hitting today as the first time I saw it.

It's one of Hoffman's best performance's, his dougey eye's gradually glazing over the further into the film we go, and the films infamous rape sequence still holds shock value, not nessessarilly because of its explicit nature but more the victims turn toward perverse pleasure by the end.

The final farmhouse attack is probably my favourite scene. Peckinpah extracts maximum tension from the cat and mouse situation, and I could swear the man amplified the shotgun in the editng room to heighten the violent impact.

Yup, a definite 70s classic, in fact I need to watch it again its been a while.

A+

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am
We had our time together

A truly disturbing movie. Hoffman and Susan George both give award worthy performances. The last act in the house is incredible intense. But the whole movie was brilliant filmmaking. I definately should check out more Peckinpah films. Straw Dogs gives you a lot to think about. A+

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:28 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I dunno, I found it troubling that the only way Hoffman's character can affirm his masculinity is by abusing his wife and killing off his romantic rivals. Is that all masculinity boils down to? I don't doubt Peckinpah intended Hoffman to be the true villain of the film, and for the violence to be abhorrent, not exciting, but he shouldn't have made it so... glorified then. For some reason, it's more of a problem here then in The Wild Bunch - perhaps because of the female presence. At least in Westerns, it's just men killing each other off (for the most part).

Still, it's hard to deny the raw, muscular filmmaking on display here. Peckinpah has a real way of building tension through his roaming camera and rapid-fire montage, and the culmination of that tension, the glorious, orgiastic violence, is almost breathtaking. I only wish it was in favour of less troublesome ideas.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I always saw it as a tale about morality rather than masculinity: Civilization, ironically, has to lower itself to bestiality in order to retain its status, as it were. But can it be the same again thereafter?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]