Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Ten 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

The Ten 

Post The Ten
The Ten

Quote:
The Ten is a 2007 American comedy film, directed by David Wain and cowritten by Wain and Ken Marino, released through ThinkFilm. The film was released on August 3, 2007. The DVD was released on January 15, 2008.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Ten
This was one of the most laugh-out-loud hilarious films I've seen in quite a long time. I was laughing so hard that I was crying at some points. It's a well-made, strange and absolutely hysterical comedy that deserves to find a wider audience. It's just a complete blast and every short story vignette is memorable in its own unique way. Each one may be ridiculous, but that doesn't stop them from being a blast. Every actor in the strong ensemble cast is great here, especially Paul Rudd, Winona Ryder, Famke Janssen and Adam Brody. The linking of the segments could have been handled a bit better, but one has to forgive the faults of such an entertaining movie. One of the year's best comedies and something that really has to be seen to be believed. HIGHLY recommended! You'll be laughing from beginning to end.

A-

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:18 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

It's an odd film. When the film hits, it's extremely funny. But when it misses, it misses very badly. Here's how I'd rank each story.

Man in the Ground - *
Mexico/Jesus Christ - ***1/2
A Goof - **
The Jaffey Brothers - **
Catscan Neighbors - ***1/2
Ass Rape - 1/2*
Sex Puppet - ****
The Lying Rhino - No Stars
Adultery - **
Naked Sunday's - **
Finale - **

Man in the Ground, Ass Rape and The Lying Rhino are virtually unwatchable (with the exception of the Michael Ian Black cameo in Ass Rape). Then there are a bunch of others that are passable but highly forgettable. The last three though are very good simply because of the performances given by the leads - Gretchen Mol, Liev Schreiber and Winona Ryder respectively. Those three are the reason to see The Ten if you're going to check it out. It's a little ironic that the best comedic performances in the film are given by non comedians.

As for the product as a whole, it's an interesting concept but it doesn't really work to the extent it should've, especially considering the comedic talent.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Bought this one on DVD the other day. The Winona Ryder segment is one of the funniest scenes of 2007 :funny:

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 am
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

If not up to the standards of Wet Hot American Summer, it's still very, very funny.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:05 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was awful! How anyone could find it funny is beyond me. I really enjoyed WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER but this was just bad.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:18 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

"More like Hannah and Her Dollars!"

A wonderfully cheesy line, delivered perfectly by Paul Rudd. That whole adultery segment/Woody Allen parody (filled with the Dianne Wiest references just in case we didn't get the joke) was riotous.

I really thought this movie was funny from beginning to end, with no dull stretches. Well, except the Jaffrey brothers, or whatever their name was. I want to show this to folks now.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:21 pm
I tried.

I really did try to get through the movie, but I have seriously never watched any comedy this not funny.

I got through the first 4 segments before I had to turn it off. The Mexico/Jesus one wasn't as bad as the 1st,3rd, or 4th but it sure as hell wasn't good. I'd say the Mexico/Jesus ranks as a C, and that's being way too generous as it is. C- is more accurate.

I love Paul Rudd but this whole thing was not doing it for me. I wanted to laugh, I did, and I kept waiting for it to happen...but then it didn't.

Once I finished the 4th segment and it was still sucking horribly I couldn't torture myself for the rest of the running time.

I honestly don't belive this gets A's from people.

I mean, it started with the man in the ground thing. That's what it started with. I should've taken that as a bad sign.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

A very weird yet funny film.

B+

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

I stopped midway through the 2nd story.

I'm not sure if I'll finish it ever.

:glare:

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:24 pm
Kypade

you're not missing much. this was a huge disappointment. very few true laughs.

the trailer was great, too.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Now that I think about it, this gets a B- from me.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:05 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

yoshue wrote:
If not up to the standards of Wet Hot American Summer, it's still very, very funny.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]