Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Simpsons Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 52%  52%  [ 32 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 19 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 62

The Simpsons Movie 

Post The Simpsons Movie
The Simpsons Movie

Quote:
The Simpsons Movie is a 2007 American animated comedy film based on the animated television series The Simpsons. The film was directed by David Silverman, and stars the regular television cast of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Tress MacNeille, and Pamela Hayden. It features Albert Brooks as Russ Cargill, the evil head of the Environmental Protection Agency who intends to destroy Springfield after Homer pollutes the lake. As the townspeople exile him and eventually his family abandon him, Homer works to redeem his folly by stopping Cargill's scheme.

Previous attempts to create a film version of The Simpsons failed due to the lack of a script of appropriate length and production crew members. Eventually, producers James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Scully, and Richard Sakai began development of the film in 2001. A writing team consisting of Scully, Jean, Brooks, Groening, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, John Swartzwelder, Jon Vitti, Ian Maxtone-Graham, and Matt Selman was assembled. They conceived numerous plot ideas, with Groening's being the one developed into a film. The script was re-written over a hundred times, and this creativity continued after animation had begun in 2006. This meant hours of finished material was cut, which included cameo roles from Erin Brockovich, Minnie Driver, Isla Fisher, Kelsey Grammer, and Edward Norton. Tom Hanks and Green Day appeared in the final cut as themselves.

Tie-in promotions were made with several companies, including Burger King and 7-Eleven, which transformed selected stores into Kwik-E-Marts. The film premiered in Springfield, Vermont, which had won the right to hold it through a competition organized by Fox. The film was a box office success, as it grossed over $527 million and received positive reviews.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:37 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30621

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 am
The 5th B-Sharp

I respect your reviews Gulli, but I'm still seeing alot of positive ones, so I'm going to probably massively disappoint myself and hold out hope.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:04 am
Stanley Cup

Gullimont wrote:

I respect your reviews Gulli, but I'm still seeing alot of positive ones, so I'm going to probably massively disappoint myself and hold out hope.

the last couple of reviews from gulli have made me lose what little respect i had for him. It all started to go downhill once he saw DOA

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:48 pm
The Original

I was fun good entertaining. In fact its like watching a very good Episode of the Simpsons! A lot ( and I mean alot) of the jokes worked very fine for me. Maybe it was a bit short and some of the plots beside the main story werent that great.
Animations etc were excellent!
I would say
As normal movie goer 8/10
As Simpson fan 9/10

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:09 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

Timayd wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

the last couple of reviews from gulli have made me lose what little respect i had for him. It all started to go downhill once he saw DOA

I think the lack of drag was the problem.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Absolutely hilarious from start to finish. One of the year's best comedies thus far.

A-

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:49 am
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

I can't believe this lived up to expectations. As a fan, I loved it.

A-

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:36 am
I'm Batman

It was extremely funny. There were some parts where I felt the new Homer coming out (like not taking the rap for Bart), but I don't think that really ruins the movie even for fans. Fans can complain all they want about it not being like the older Simpsons, but I don't think anyone can say that the material isn't funny.

- A-

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:16 am
I'm Batman

BTW, was The Dark Knight teaser in front of everyone else's screening. I was pissed when there was none in front of mine.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:19 am
Teh Mexican

Man, im sooo glad you guys liked it. Ill be seeing it next week. The release date got delayed :glare:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:20 am
College Boy Z

I think only major, major theaters are gonna get the Batman teaser. I didn't get it either.

Best part: "I like men now."

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:43 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its odd how blaise I feel about this film, I'm finding it hard to get up enough bile to talk about it.

Nobody else watched this and thought the whole thing screamed "cruise and collect"? Or nobody was bothered by now much of a caricature Homer was?

And I really need to know was there constant laugher at the screenings you were at? This is a serious question because there was nothing more then the odd chuckle at mine, and most of the audience was easy to please teenagers.

I mean its not a "bad" film just an insanely Grey one.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 am
I'm Batman

I think you have to learn to live with what The Simpsons have become. If you continue to compare against the older episodes of course its going to look bad, but if you take it for what it was you can leave knowing it had extremely funny material. My theatre was absolutely roaring. The first 20 minutes of the movie was non-stop laughter in my theatre.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 am
Star Trek XI

Don't really watch the show at all, but I loved it. B

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Did Spider-Pig die? That was the only thing I didn't catch.

Oh, A btw. Funniest movie of the year (though not the best comedy).

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:35 pm
College Boy Z

Yeah, the first 20 minutes of the film received nothing but non-stop laughter. And everyone clapped when Homer says, "why would anyone pay for a movie they can watch on TV for free?"

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:03 pm
Superman: The Movie

Was it just my theater, or did the film have no end credits? Right after the last gag from Tom Hanks, the projector just stopped and the lights turned on. I was expecting there to be some stuff during the credits - and hell, how about showing who worked on the film, but the lights just turned on and that was it. And apparently after reading on IMDB, there is some stuff during the credits (Like Maggie's first words and the nervous guy), so I'm actually pissed off now.

Everything else before that was mostly spot on though. The film is consistently funny thoughout minus a couple of duds - Arnold as president is everything you've seen on the TV spots. It's slightly underwhleming, but that was to be expected.

I have to see the film again though. I feel like I missed a couple of things. For now.....

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

the protectionist most likely misplaced a cue on the print so the projector thought it was time to shut off?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:14 pm
Superman: The Movie

the protectionist most likely misplaced a cue on the print so the projector thought it was time to shut off?

That makes sense. It was abrupt in the sense that you would expect the film to have end credits, but it seemed planned for there to be something wrong, because it happened immediately after the Hanks line.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

ValleyGuyChristian wrote:

That makes sense. It was abrupt in the sense that you would expect the film to have end credits, but it seemed planned for there to be something wrong, because it happened immediately after the Hanks line.

There's two cues that projectionists put at the end of a film; one to turn the lights in the theatre off, and one to shut the projector down. As Christian said, the projectionist probably just did the wrong one. Amateurs.... :disgust:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:52 pm
Where will you be?

It all starts out just as immensely enjoyable and witty as one would hope, and although the film does drag on slightly past it's welcome much like the TV show has, one walks out feeling thoroughly satisfied. It's too bad Lisa got short shafted plotwise, but overall I'd say the joke to laugh ratio was much higher than the show has been since it's glory days, especially in the wonderful first 20 minutes.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:11 pm
Veteran

Real breathe of fresh air into the dead show, which I barely watch anymore.. It was light, funny, good hearted and fast.. B+

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25 pm
htm

I don't know, I chuckled often. But I do that just as much, if not more, when I watch it at home. Homer DID nail it during the opening sequence - why bother with the big screen update? It's a fun time out, delivering just about what you'd expect from watching the show at home. Nothing more, nothing less. It hits the mark, never hitting higher than one expects nor lower. I don't feel that it's quite intelligent enough nor is it memorable enough to give it a high score, though... but that's just me. Doubt this one will hold up - seems like a one trick pony.

**/****

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:27 pm

While it certainly doesn't capture the subtle satire of the earlier seasons, and it has lost its shock value, it is still a hilarious film. On a story angle, I am glad they pushed Lisa's story to the side, it reeked with being like the recent seasons, very fake and cheesy, while the father son angle actually reminded me of the early years. Bart's reactions were actually believable for once in a Simpsons show in years, and I actually cared for Bart for once in years. Now the Marge and Homer angle had its moments, but at times it was cheesy and unbelievable. I think a more subtle story would have worked better with the raw emotions, but it was still a great comedy.

A-

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next