Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Hairspray (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 24 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39

Hairspray (2007) 
Extraordinary

Post Hairspray (2007)
Hairspray

Quote:
Hairspray is a 2007 American comedy produced by Kolaja Productions and distributed by New Line Cinema. It was released in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom on July 20, 2007. The film is an adaptation of the 2002 Broadway musical of the same name, which in turn was based on John Waters's 1988 comedy film of the same name. Set in 1962 Baltimore, Maryland, the film follows the "pleasantly plump" teenager Tracy Turnblad as she simultaneously pursues stardom as a dancer on a local TV show and rallies against racial segregation.

Adapted from both Waters' 1988 script and Thomas Meehan and Mark O'Donnell's book for the stage musical by screenwriter Leslie Dixon, the 2007 film version of Hairspray is directed and choreographed by Adam Shankman. Hairspray features songs from the Broadway musical written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, as well as four new Shaiman/Wittman compositions not present in the original Broadway version.

Opening to positive reviews, Hairspray met with financial success, breaking the record for biggest sales at opening weekend for a movie musical, which the film held until July 2008 when it was surpassed by Mamma Mia! and later High School Musical 3: Senior Year in October. Hairspray went on to become the fourth highest grossing musical film in US cinema history, behind the film adaptations of Grease, Chicago, and Mamma Mia!. Available in a variety of formats, Hairspray's Region 1 home video release took place on November 20, 2007. USA Network purchased the broadcast rights to Hairspray and was scheduled to debut the film on cable television in February 2010, but in the end it did not broadcast that month, instead the film was pushed back and premiered on USA on July 24, 2010, with sister channel Bravo also showing it multiple times, and in February 2011 aired on ABC for over-the-air broadcasts.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

An instant classic. A joyous, uplifting musical with excellent performances and an irresistible feel-good spirit. One of the year's best films, and one of the most enjoyable films I've seen all summer. Do not miss it. It's one of the best Broadway adaptations ever and the best musical since Moulin Rouge!

A/A+

Last edited by thompsoncory on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This was brilliant. :biggrin:

The songs were excellent, the humour always spot on and somebody needs to hand an Oscar to Travolta at once. :1st:

Its a Musical injected with Horse Steroids, and I don't even like Musicals that much!!!

A+

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

OMFG!!!

The songs were excellent, the humour always spot on and somebody needs to hand an Oscar to Travolta at once. :1st:

Its a Musical injected with Horse Steroids, and I don't even like Musicals that much!!!

A+

You're SO gay.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:32 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

You're SO gay.

Sorry Chip couldn't give a toss I'm on a Musical high right now.

So glad the little sister begged me to bring her to this otherwise I'd never have seen it. :happy:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:34 pm
Where will you be?

Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

You're SO gay.

You shouldn't be talking with that pic of you trying to rock the wife beater.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

ChipMunk-Y wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

You're SO gay.

Under shirt people! UNDER SHIRT!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:36 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
ChipMunk-Y wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

You're SO gay.

Then please keep it under a shirt.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:38 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

OMFG!!!

A+

I came SO close to seeing this tonight. Went to the pics with my dad, initially to see Die Hard 4 (which I'd already seen twice) just to see the guy again. He mentioned an interest in Hairspray, I popped a load and convinced him to see that instead, but the blasted thing was showing far too late.

Cue a third viewing of Die Hard 4.

Your glowing recommendation has only piqued my interest further. I wait for this to turn up on torrent sites with bated breath.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

I came SO close to seeing this tonight. Went to the pics with my dad, initially to see Die Hard 4 (which I'd already seen twice) just to see the guy again. He mentioned an interest in Hairspray, I popped a load and convinced him to see that instead, but the blasted thing was showing far too late.

Your glowing recommendation has only piqued my interest further. I wait for this to turn up on torrent sites with bated breath.

I promise no shaky cam's in this one. :smile:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:53 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Snrub wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
OMFG!!!

A+

I promise no shaky cam's in this one. :smile:

You remembered! :wub:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

I don't know what I find more amusing, Gulli's surprise adoration of this movie or MovieDude's pwnage of Chip. :hahaha:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:35 pm
College Boy Z

ChipMunk-Y wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
ChipMunk-Y wrote:

You're SO gay.

Then please keep it under a shirt.

:lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:04 pm
Forum General

As a fan of many musicals, I wasn't pumped to see Hairspray until the extremely positive reviews started pouring in. The final product is everything you'd expect, a nice, funny, entertaining and catchy musical. Though really, it isn't much else. All of the performances are nice, though nobody really stands out. All the songs for the most part are catchy, even the ones I wasn't a fan of like "The New Girl in Town." I'm not at all a fan of that song but I'd by lying if it wasn't stuck in my head after watching the movie. It was filled with wonderful sequences, the two best performances were "Without Love" and the final song "You Can't Stop the Beat." This will be the crowd pleasing film of the summer for sure. I can't see why anybody could dislike it. Definitely see it and you won't be disappointed!

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Team Kris

I still laugh at one of Corny Collins' lyrics about the girls being so nice, they deserve a good, stiff one. :lol:

Though I got so annoyed that the crowd was mostly drama students from 2 local high schools who swooned and cat-called whenever Zac Efron came on the screen. :|

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:13 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I still laugh at one of Corny Collins' lyrics about the girls being so nice, they deserve a good, stiff one. :lol:

:lol: Indeed that was great, his cheesy grin just completed the joke.

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30609

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:07 am
I'm Batman

It's fun, catchy, and has hilarious bits, but it's nothing over the top great. If you hate musicals definitley avoid it, but if you're into the poppiness of the early 60's it's a definite must see.

-B

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:17 am
I'm Batman

The crowd I was with was insane over Zac Efron. All I can think of is...what's his appeal?

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:18 am
The Lubitsch Touch

It's a good Broadway adaptation in that Shankman does a great job of opening up the material for the screen. It doesn't feel hopelessly stagebound like certain other adaptations that need not be named.

But it's a bad Broadway adaptation in that most of the characters simply have no room to breathe. It's fine on stage, but a bit more intimate approach is needed for the film. Take (the miscast) Amanda Bynes. I felt really awkward near the end when she finally started having dialogue; she may have said 4-5 sentences in the first three quarters of the film. The movie needed to slow down, just a bit. It also, as the stage show before it, begins to drag a bit around protest time.

Shankman the director-choreographer disappoints. The editing of the major dance sequences was just too hectic. I was expecting more of a Fred Astaire, show-all-the-moves approach, but MTV editing and bizarre, unnecessary cutaways to other characters mid-dance was the modus operandi. As a result, most of the choreography was lost in translation.

And it looks like once again I've focused on the negatives, and ingored the fact that Hairspray was mostly charming and likable.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:29 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

The crowd I was with was insane over Zac Efron. All I can think of is...what's his appeal?

he's yummy

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:53 pm
Superman: The Movie

Yoshue pretty much covered what I thought was wrong with the film. The film just never stops. And although all of the songs are good, hearing the characters talk once and awhile wouldn't have been so bad. The characters are fun to watch, but they're hollow and I ended up not caring very much for them, with the exception of Tracy. Nikki Blonsky gives the most impressive performance out of everyone. She's the reason why the film works. Her, the songs, and the overall feel good atmosphere of the film that is.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I did also feel like there was no room to breath and it doesnt stop, its song after song with little dialogue, but thats the fun of the film, just going along with all its cornyness and bursting into songs randomly, it was a lot of fun. I loved Bynes, thought she was perfect, crowd loved her. Blonsky was fantastic. Travolta surprised the hell out of me, I was apprehensive(sp?) at first but then you just go with him and he was really, really good, so was the rest of the cast. The most fun I have had at the movies in a long time, it just geniunly keeps a smile on your face.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 pm
Extraordinary

His first role was on Firefly. Duh.

:tongue:

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:27 pm
Extraordinary

What a blessedly wacky retro musical fun bus of a movie Hairspray is!

This is a solid new addition to the pantheon of classic new millennia film musicals -- Moulin Rouge ('01), Hedwig and the Angry Inch ('01), Chicago ('02), Rent ('05), Idlewild ('06), Dreamgirls ('06), and now Hairspray ('07)!!!

I disagree with grumblings I heard that the "racial integration" story has little substance -- by placing it in a time warp like this movie, it brings the glacial rate of true change into perspective! And the characters and how the actors played 'em were totally groovy!! And the songs and dance numbers were a hoot and a scream all rolled into one!!! Wooooohooooo!!!! Olé/Olay!!!!!

This is a movie that I can easily imagine watching a dozen dozen times before I die...

12 out of 5.

[Edit: As of July 30th, 2007, rating has officially been upgraded to 17 out of 5...]

[Edit: As of December 30th, 2007, rating has officially been upgraded to 28 out of 5...]

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:06 am
Extraordinary

I liked it, but didn't love it. It had neither the performances, voices, and memorable songs of Dreamgirls, nor the style or plot of Chicago, but it was happy. Musicals are back.

B

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next