Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Evening 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Evening 

Post Evening
Evening

Quote:
Evening is a 2007 American drama film directed by Lajos Koltai. The screenplay by Susan Minot and Michael Cunningham is based on the 1998 novel of the same name by Susan Minot.

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Considering the reviews, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Yeah, the screenplay doesn't dig deep enough and it's all been done before but the acting is incredible across the board as is to be expected and it's beautifully photographed.

B-

Best Actress 2008

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

* Terrific acting! The ensemble cast, which includes Meryl Streep, Vanessa Redgrave, Claire Danes, and Glenn Close, doesn't disappoint. There was a single flaw in the cast, though. See the Cons section for more.

* Jaw-dropping cinematography. You will want to phone your travel agent and arrange a trip to Newport, RI after seeing this movie.

* It was emotional. Sure, the heartstring-tugging was violent, but it was also effective. I won't deny tearing up near the end.

Cons:

- Patrick Wilson was miscast in a flawed role. The crux of the past storyline, which wraps up in the present storyline, is everyone loves Harris Arden in their own way. But Patrick Wilson just isn't charming, intelligent, sexy, and sharp enough to buy everyone would go head-over-heels for him. He's blandly charismastic in an aloof way; this role needed a Jude Law-type, who just oozes innate sexuality and sophistication.

- The structure is odd. Not surprising since the movie blends present, past, and hallucination together to form a whole, but disheartening nonetheless. It reminded me of Flags of Our Fathers as it raced to and fro around its chronological timeline. Except it's done with even less taste here.

All in all: B/B+ for Evening. Not perfect, but very satisfying and far, far superior than the vitriolic reviews would suggest!

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:14 am
Superfreak

ugh; why did i have to see this? my fiance dragged me to it and this was stupid' n thats coming from soneone who did enjoy the notebook n a walk to remember. That said; i wish claire danes was better looking cause shed be such agood lois lane.

F-

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Sue me. I liked it. My female companion said it was the most boring movie shes ever seen.

I agree with everything Gunslinger said. Patrick Wilson was totally miscast in this. I could stare at Claire Danes all day.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]