Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Knocked Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 42 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59

Knocked Up 

Post Knocked Up
Knocked Up

Quote:
Knocked Up is a 2007 American comedy film, co-produced, written and directed by Judd Apatow. Starring Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd, and Leslie Mann, the film follows the repercussions of a drunken one-night stand between Rogen's slacker character and Heigl's just-promoted media personality that results in an unintended pregnancy.

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

my mini review available in cinemania. But best of the frat pack films

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

After the smashing success of his first feature film The 40-Year-Old Virgin, many were wondering what director Judd Apatow would do next. He certainly had quite the reputation to live up to, as his first film quickly became one of the most popular and celebrated comedies of 2005 and made a bona-fide star out of Steve Carell. Apatow finally returns after a two year absence with Knocked Up, starring Seth Rogen (who co-starred with Carell in Virgin) and Katherine Heigl (a cast member on television's #1 show "Grey's Anatomy") - a film that could have easily gone disastrously wrong. But thanks to a sweet, hilarious screenplay and strong performances across the board, Knocked Up is another winner destined to become a new comedy classic.

The film begins by introducing us to two very different individuals. Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl) is an ambitious young career woman who works at the E! Entertainment News Channel - working her way up to becoming an on-camera anchor. Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) is a man with no ambition whatsoever - living off nothing and spending the day getting high with his friends. When the two meet at a club while Alison celebrates her promotion, they end up getting drunk and eventually sleeping together. It was supposed to be just a one-night stand. But eight weeks later, Alison realizes something that she never thought was possible. She is pregnant. Now the two must work together to form an unlikely family unit, and eventually they realize that they have deeper feelings for each other than they could have ever imagined. A subplot of the film also involves Alison's controlling sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and her distant husband Pete (Paul Rudd), both of whom are drawn into the relationship that is quickly developing between our two protagonists.

The performances here are all great, and each actor displays their winning comedic timing as well as their subtle dramatic skills. Seth Rogen is an absolute delight here, finally taking center stage after a supporting role in Virgin. His character is lovable yet unmistakably flawed, and Rogen gives the role a boyish charm that really makes it work. He is laugh-out-loud hilarious in many scenes and this should undoubtably be a breakout role for him. Katherine Heigl is fantastic as Alison. Anyone who has seen a single episode of "Grey's Anatomy" realizes how talented this individual is, and she steals many scenes with her adorable, funny performance. Heigl is really the heart and soul of this film, and really proves herself as a winning leading lady. Leslie Mann is simply hysterical here, provoking laughs almost every time she is on screen. Paul Rudd is also hilarious as well, and the two work off each other flawlessly. While both of these roles could have been simple supporting roles, both Mann and Rudd are actually given quite a lot to work with and there are even times when their relationship takes front and center as opposed to the two main characters. Also worth noting is the strong comedic chemistry that both Rudd and Rogen have. Fans of their banter in The 40-Year-Old Virgin will not be disappointed, for there is a lot more of this on display in this film.

Apatow writes and directs the project and does an excellent job on all counts. The screenplay for this film is one of the funniest I have seen in years. There are too many memorable moments to remember and he crafts some sequences that everyone will be talking about once the film ends. He also develops each and every one of his characters so you come to feel for and identify with them. One of his strengths as a screenwriter is that he knows how to balance a mix of raunchy comedic sequences with moments that are tender and undeniably sweet. This film is no exception, and it seems evident that this is going to be yet another crowd-pleaser that audiences will fall in love with.

Overall, Knocked Up is an absolute delight from beginning to end. Thanks to the fantastic screenplay, lovable characters and great performances, it is a real treat that any comedy fan should not miss. This is sure to be the comedy of the summer and it should not be missed. It is destined to become a classic of the romantic comedy genre.

9/10 (A-)

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:11 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile YIM
Commander and Chef

Is the film homophobic?

for some reason, i can't remember any gay jokes in the film, bar one scene but even that wouldn't really classify as typical "lets make fun of gay" humour but more of a "you 2 relate to each other so much, you should just fuck together"

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

GAYb Ruth!

It was pret hilarious, but that one "wtf moment" someone posted about in the other forum was way wtf and sorta ruined the film. But sorta not too.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:39 pm
Commander and Chef

You look like Babe Ruth's gay brother.

GAYb Ruth!

It was pret hilarious, but that one "wtf moment" someone posted about in the other forum was way wtf and sorta ruined the film. But sorta not too.

honestly

the crowd didn't know whether to laugh or to be shocked or to be disgusted. most people just looked around with a hybrid expression on their face.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:50 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'll assume its a graphic birth scene.

Your assumption would be correct ;)

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:52 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The movie executives that decided to delay releasing this in the British Isles till August will be getting their own zipper scene if I have anything to do with it. :rant:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:57 pm
Extraordinary

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

oooooh, the crowning?

It's no worse than the nut zipper scene in There's Something About Mary.

i could see the nut zipper coming. it was appropriate too ...

can't see this one. didn't see the need. hence the WTF

not saying i'd like them to take it out. just syaing its more wtf.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

yeah, it's more a make believe WTF than an actual one.

Canadians are dumb.

my friend, in canada, this film is rated PG 13

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I wonder if it'll rank high on my freaky birth scene.

Demon Seed and Threads have had a comfy ride for to long.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:07 pm
Commander and Chef

Optimus Prime wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
yeah, it's more a make believe WTF than an actual one.

Canadians are dumb.

my friend, in canada, this film is rated PG 13

point being....

are you saying Knocked Up doesn't believe in its own message?

oh it knocks shit up

so it clearly believes in it.

Knocked up btw, = best movie of the year.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Optimus Prime wrote:

Knocked up btw, = best movie of the year.

It's the only film I've given an A+ to thus far.

The chick in it is good. She looks vaguely familiar.

i liked all the chicks in it.

even that random studio producer who didn't seem to like much and was surprised by everything. she was hilarious.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The lead? Katherine Heigl is one of the stars of "Grey's Anatomy."

The woman who plays her married sister, Leslie Mann, was in The 40-Year-Old Virgin as the drunk girl ;)

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

She'll always be the girl from Under Siege 2 to me :happy:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:21 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

thompsoncory wrote:

She'll always be the girl from Under Siege 2 to me :happy:

I'll always remember her from My Father The Hero :tongue:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
Team Kris

This film gets a B based solely on the uber-hotness of the lovely Katherine Heigl. But the film is hilarious as well. I'd say about 90% of the jokes hit the mark.

My personal favorite- "Do you guys ever get so bored you stare at your balls?"

The movies length was not an issue as the time flew by. It had a nice familly theme so all can enjoy this fun summer comedy.

B+

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The best comedy in years. This is not necessarily as instantly quotable as The 40-Year-Old Virgin, but Knocked Up is all around the more genuine, mature picture. In addition to being gut-bustingly hilarious, the movie is also wonderfully sweet and creates many memorable characters. Seth Rogen is a delight, while Katherine Heigl (getting a chance to have some fun away from the melodramatic world of Izzie Stevens on Grey's Anatomy) is perfect as Alison. Similarly, the reliable Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are fantastic. And Ben's various friends are all hilarious. This is the best movie released this year so far. A

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 pm
Forum General

Knocked Up is one of the most charming romantic comedies I've seen in years. I don't remember the last time I could relate to a romantic comedy so much. I saw myself many times in Katherine Heigl's character. Whether it were the things she said or the actions she took. She gives a wonderful performance and one of the best female performances of the year, thus far. Leslie Mann also is awesome in the movie! She steals the show in more scene than one and is overall hysterical and you really care about her character. Paul Rudd is also a scene stealer, though I didn't feel at all sympathetic for his character. Seth Rogen was good but far from great as the lead male. At times his acting was a bit iffy but other than that, he was solid for the most part. There were also random cameos that I thought were hysterical, as well as a few extremely small characters who really stick out. This movie is incredibly sweet but it also can be vulgar at times, though the vulgarity never falls on it's face like it does in many comedies these days. There were at least six moments where I and the audience nearly died laughing. I can't recommend this movie enough. Not only is it one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen but it's also one of the best of the year. In a what is seeming to be an extremely lackluster June for film, I definitely recommend you see Knocked Up, you won't be at all disappointed.

9/10 (A)

Waitress is still the better comedy of the year, though.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

Full theater report for the AMC at 10 and 401 in Mississauga:

Knocked Up at 7 pm:

Largest theater in place, 60% full.

Got there late, but i did see the trailer for The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller. Looks funny, crowd laughed.

Die Hard: Very little reaction.

That's all I saw.

As for the film, the funniest film since...well....40YOV. I loved it. I don't think this is going to be a film for a lot of really young people. There is a lot of humour in here aimed at them, but make no mistake about it, this is an adult comedy. Unless you have experience marriage and childbirth and relationship dilemmas and so on, a lot of the humour might be pver your head. I don't think this will open to more than 40 mill like I originally thought. I think it will be about 25 mill with very strong legs. The movie is 2 hours long and it is funny all throughout. This is my favourite movie so far this year, just surpassing Waitress and Seth Rogan, Katherine Heigel, Paull Rudd and Ms. Mann are simply awesome in here. Judd Apatow proves that he is more than just adept at comedy as he has some very touching moments in here. I think this will do more than 100 mill, but it might have a lot of people who haven't been through this stuff thinking it is fine, but not hysterical, and of course the complete oppostie for those of us that have been there.

9/10

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next