Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 30 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 32 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 85

Extraordinary

Post Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is a 2007 adventure fantasy film, the third film in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. The plot follows Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, and the crew of the Black Pearl rescuing Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), from Davy Jones's Locker, and then preparing to fight the East India Trading Company, led by Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) and Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), who plan to extinguish piracy. Gore Verbinski directed the film, as he did with the previous two. It was shot in two shoots during 2005 and 2006, the former simultaneously with the preceding film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

The film was released in English-speaking countries on May 25, 2007 after Disney decided to move the release date a day earlier than originally planned. Critical reviews were mixed, but At World's End was a box office hit, becoming the most successful film of 2007, grossing over $960 million worldwide, and making it the third most successful in the series, behind On Stranger Tides and Dead Man's Chest.

It was nominated for the Academy Award for Makeup and the Academy Award for Visual Effects, which it lost to La Vie en Rose and The Golden Compass, respectively. It remains the most expensive film ever made, with a budget of $300 million. A fourth installment, On Stranger Tides, was released in theaters on May 20, 2011.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

After first watch I'll give it a B. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. Might go up to B+ after I see it another time.

Thu May 24, 2007 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

It would help to say what you thought of the previous movies in the series. To give some context.

Thu May 24, 2007 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Oh man :ohmy: my fav local critic hated AWE.

Quote:
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 236bd.html
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End is a repetitive, boring, big-budget, clunker of a summer film, running just under three hours, but feeling like five. This messy, convoluted sequel to the sequel features more pirates, more shouting and much more confusion.

In fact, after sitting through Pirates Part Three, I'm still not sure what happens other than Captain Jack Sparrow is trapped in Davey Jone's locker and it takes too much time to get him back. And once they do, no one in the audience cares.

Pirates Three does feature the same charming original cast and a new scarred pirate face in the great Chow Yun Fat. But director Gore Verbinski has literally drained any and all life force out of the original and replaced it with tedious, heavy-handed dialogue.

I walked into the overly-violent PG-13-rated new Pirates movie with a smile on my face, but I walked out feeling like I had been shackled for three hours. There is nothing charming, compelling or even entertaining about Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End. It's that bad, that boring, that disappointing.

Thu May 24, 2007 6:27 pm
Cream of the Crop

POTC: A
POTC2: B
POTC3: B ( for now, probably will go up with second viewing )

Thu May 24, 2007 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Well, the first act took some time to get into, because not everything made sense, but at the end, it was well planned out and well executed. I like it, it never got too boring at all, just a little silly at times, but still entertaining. And no, it didn't feel long to me, I thought it was just right because of all the different plots that needed to get resolved. All in all, it was a fun and exciting experience, and the execution of the ending was great, even better than the first two.

Also, don't forget to stay after the credits.

Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

Was the extra scene after worth it? I mean, I'm seeing it as midnight, so I don't want to stay afterwards for 20 minutes of credits just for a 20 second blurb.

Thu May 24, 2007 7:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

Just watch the last scene in the trailer forum when you get home

Thu May 24, 2007 7:21 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You could always take a nap after the movie ends, then wake up 15 minutes later to see the clip

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 24, 2007 7:26 pm
ef star star kay

I think I'd like to change my grade(s)..

No, AWE hold up very well. It's just, yesterday, I watched Pirates 1 & 2 again..

AWE stays the same at A-
while my grade for CotB is up to A- (from B+)
and DMC; B+ (from B)

definitely the most satisfied trilogy recently..

The film before the mega action sequence at the end was well, solid. While it's (refering to the film before the climax) not much of action, it's still highly entertaining. It's uneven, yes. It's weird sometime, yes. But those are really just minor problems. For me, the bigger issue is, how the story is too complicated for its own good with all those plot-twists. But then again, to be honest, this is still really just a minor problem that can be overlooked. Why? I tell you why; the battle scene at the end. It was really really truly awesome!
The casts is another this movie's improvement. And I'm glad, this one is not all about Capt. Jack.
If there's something I dislike the most; it'd be Chow Yun-Fat. He's great, actually. But... I better shut my mouth up.
Oh! did I mention the running time? I didn't, did I? Well, because throughout 168 minutes of this movie, I never felt bored. It actually didn't really feel that long.
I'm really satisfied. :D
**** out of ***** (A-)

The first one is a lot more charming. But this one feels a lot more 'Epic'. And I loved 'Epic'. :mrgreen:

Thu May 24, 2007 7:32 pm
Extraordinary

The end battle is a bit of a letdown because all these ships are lined up and you expect a huge battle between two fleets but in the end it amounts to a simple one on one fight. Like i said the other day, nothing all that different from the battles seen before, just with a maelstrom added.

Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Review soon!

Thu May 24, 2007 11:21 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

Perfect end to my all time favorite trilogy.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A+

Perfect end to my all time favorite trilogy.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:41 pm
Profile YIM
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Pirates 1: B
Pirates 2: A
Pirates 3: B-

This one was funnier than 1 and 2 combined, which is good. The entire success of the trilogy rests with Johnny Depp, he is hilarious. The last 30-45 minutes was very blah. Bad CGI and a boring end battle didn't leave me wowed. I was surprised at a few scenes and how violent they were, especially the scene where Davey Jones kills the captain towards the end. Also, poor use of Chow Yun-Fat.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:46 pm
College Boy Z

So, it's great, great fun. More fun than Dead Man's Chest (though, without the last hour, it has nothing on Black Pearl). And it's definitely hilarious (Jack's hallucinations = GOLD). It didn't feel long at all, to be honest. Had it not been for such a confusing plot, I think it would have been perfect. Seriously, during the second hour of this film, it's hard to keep up with what's happening, who's on which side, what's the new goal, etc. I mean, in the end, it all came together and it was fine, but there were points where I felt lost. This might be improved on a second viewing, I guess. But, yeah, the final hour and final fight was spectacular. The best hour of the entire Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. And the first hour is quite good, too, so it weights out the middle. I had a blast, overall. The series ended on a high note.

A-

Pirates 1: A
Pirates 2: A-
Pirates 3: A-

Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

Absolutely worthless.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 pm
The Kramer

Well I thought it was great. The end battle was amazing and it was better that it was only The Black Pearl vs The Dutchmen. If it was the entire armada vs the entire pirate fleet the critics would have complained that their was too much going on. So it was a lose-lose situation with the critics but the fans will eat it up.
Every single character came back in this movie. Even the dog and the two guys from the first movie that Jack encountered in Port Royal. Was nice to see them back, I was wondering where they were in the last movie.
Is it the best in the trilogy? Too hard to tell after one viewing.

Dark spot: Not enough Keith Richards.

I gave 300 an A and I thought this was better so an A it is. Bring on Transformers to beat it.

Also, Keira is the hottest Pirate King ever. True Story.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:18 am
Indiana Jones IV

Good Movie, my favorite of the three big May movies. Johnny Depp is still a badass. There were times when I would say I was lost and did not know exactly what was going on such as in the beginning or mostly in the middle with the pirate lords and others, but in the end it worked out. Also I liked the end, it could end the trilogy, but also open up to a 4th and 5th one.

A-

Fri May 25, 2007 12:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Romosexual!

Better then P2. A fitting end.
Every character did an awsome job. Even Will Turner.

I can't wait for more.......in 3 or so years from now.

Last edited by Rev on Fri May 25, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:31 am
Kypade

It's fantastic...probably better than the first. Way better than the second.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 25, 2007 12:34 am
Profile YIM
The Kramer

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

Sorry, just had to say it because....seriously. WHAT THE FUCK!

Granted, the film wasn't bad, but it just wasn't really good .
Well that's nice.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 25, 2007 12:37 am
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Really reminds me of that Family Guy episode where everyone loved Peter's play but then Louis stands up and tells everybody that they're fucking morons.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 417 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next