Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Dead Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

The Dead Girl 

Post The Dead Girl
The Dead Girl

Quote:
The Dead Girl is a 2006 American mystery drama film written and directed by Karen Moncrieff, starring Brittany Murphy, Toni Collette, Rose Byrne and Marcia Gay Harden. The film was nominated for several 2007 Independent Spirit Awards awards including Best Feature and Best Director. It is the story of a young woman's death and the people linked to her murder. It also features Mary Beth Hurt, Kerry Washington, James Franco, Giovanni Ribisi, Josh Brolin, Mary Steenburgen and Piper Laurie. The film was premiered at the AFI Film Festival (7 November 2006), and was given a limited US theatrical release on 29 December 2006. It was generally well-received. It only ran for two weeks in US first-run theaters, and earned nearly all its revenue from overseas release.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:40 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Wasn't a bad film per se, but left a lot wanting. All of the performances were good, especially Collette's. The movie was very short, which is always a favorite for me. The major problem with the film was that most of the loose ends were never tied and there was little character development as the movie was made of 5 15 minute or so vignettes that were never revisited. Anyway, I gave it a C purely for the acting.

Sun May 20, 2007 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

The last segment is by far the best and the first was by far the worst. A lot of people won't care much for this movie though. It's too short and should have been longer, and I think the ending will leave something to be desired for most people. Overall I liked it though, and Brittany Murphy gives a great performance in such a limited amount of screentime.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Tue May 22, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 22, 2007 8:58 am
Iron Man

I'd give this about a B-. I thought it lacked a much needed punch. But I liked it overall. It was a solid drama with fine performances especially from Mary Beth Hurt and Brittany Murphy, while my favorite segment was the second one if I remember correctly.

Tue May 22, 2007 5:36 pm
La Bella Vito

I thought it was pretty good. A little slow at times, but I love the way the story was put together, and it kind of went backwards which was interesting to see. The ensemble was really great, and I thought the last segment was the best. Brittany Murphy can sure play white trash so brilliantly. She's such a talented actress. The rest of the cast is great too. I really think they compliment each other. The ending sucked ass. I wanted to see what happened, and it was kind of an anti-climax. I still recommend it though. It's a good drama with some fine performances.

B

Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Finally watched this after recieving the disk from BB a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed the film and liked all the stories regardless of how loosely related they were to the victim. My favorite parts were Murphy's and Harden's even though Harden's is more of the uplifting liberal part of the story. I wasn't a fan of the wife who even after discovering her husband is a freaking KILLER still ends up saving his ass. What people will do for companionship is crazy sometimes. I think the lack of a resolution to the killer's story is what would bother regular viewers most because people like to have a conclusion to the film and like bad guys caught but this film is a good almost documentary view of how one person's death can affect the lives of others and how a murder can happen so swiftly without reason. It's quite chilling to me. Lastly, we didn't need to see what happened to Brittany after it faded to black because we already know by the shots in the beginning when she was found. No need to put that useless torture to screen since this wasn't a Saw type film.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I didn't like this one. It was well-acted, especially from Brittany Murphy, Marcia Gay Harden and Toni Collette, but the final two segments were the only really interesting ones. The rest were very dull and uninteresting, and had very little to do with the actual plotline. The ending also leaves something to be desired. The movie's biggest flaw is that it never really goes anywhere despite the great concept, which makes it a very disappointing endeavor.

C

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:46 am
Profile YIM
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: The Dead Girl
B-

Brittany Murphy is amazing. I agree, the last two segments are the best. Well acted throughout. Rose Byrne's story touched me a lot though.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:45 am
New Server, Same X

Post Re: The Dead Girl
Really? I came here expecting some great reviews but nothing.

I don't know why, but I loved it. Depressing, yes. Dark, yeah. Simple? Indeed. But the acting is great. I enjoyed the whole thing for some reason.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]