Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Red Dragon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Red Dragon 
College Boy Z

Post Red Dragon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Red Dragon is a 2002 thriller film based on Thomas Harris' novel of the same name and featuring psychiatrist and serial killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

The film was directed by Brett Ratner and written for the screen by Ted Tally, who also wrote the screenplay for the Oscar-winning The Silence of the Lambs. It stars Edward Norton as FBI agent Will Graham and Anthony Hopkins as Lecter, a role he had, by then, played twice before in The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.

Ralph Fiennes, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Mary-Louise Parker, Emily Watson and Harvey Keitel are also featured.

The film's story takes place before the events of The Silence of the Lambs, after Lecter's original capture and incarceration.

A great edition to the Hannibal Lecter series, though it was not better than Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal. It was still quite good, though. The story was very good. Anthony Hopkins and Edward Norton were both very good.

My Grade: A-

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:47 pm
Hot Fuss

Another very, very good film. It's my second favorite in the franchise, ahead of Manhunter and Hannibal. I loved the acting, and it's a good story. All around, a very good film.

A-/B+

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Below Average. Manhunter with William Petersen(CSI) and directed by Michael Mann was far superior.

C-

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Below Average. Manhunter with William Petersen(CSI) and directed by Michael Mann was far superior.

C-

wow. yech. i hated manhunter. what a crappy film. :P

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Weakest Hannibal Lecter movie. It was pretty good the first time but I was a bit bored the second time. Not really thrilling and too less Hopkins. B-

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The best film in the trilogy (or franchise if you count t'other one). B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

second favorite of the franchise, Great acting, great story, everything is great, but not "A" material

B+

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:04 am
You must have big rats

Well, obviously I'm quite a Lecter fan, heh, yet I tried my best to rate this movie from a very objective point of view. I read the novel not too long ago and I must say that this movie is a much better adaptation of it than Manhunter was and this movie is also significantly better than Manhunter. It is still by far not as good of an adaptation as Hannibal was (yes, I love that movie), but it is probably as good it coukd get. The roles are all well-cast, especially Ralph Fiennes as Francis Dollarhyde and Emily Watson as Reba. The only pick I prefered from Manhunter was William Petersen as Will Graham. Edward Norton did a great job, but he wasn't quite like the character written in the book.

The movie itself is quite suspenseful and faithfully follows the novel most of the time. Anthony Hopkins delivers yet another great performance as Hannibal Lecter, but it isn't any better than the ones he has delivered in The Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal. The entire ensemble is great and the movie is very well-acted. The twist at the end is nice (even though I saw it coming since I read the novel). I wish the movie went deeper into exploring the evil of Francis Dollarhyde. I feel the novel did a better job in that aspect. Overall, a slick and very well-made thriller which ranks as one of the best movies I have seen in 2002.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:50 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

It actually managed to get me sort of psyced out, compared to "grossed out" from Hanibal. Obviously, it doesn't compare to Silence of the Lambs, but it does come in distant second(Manhunter 4th, Hanibal 3rd). One of the best things of the film, in my opinion is the end. Not that I'm putting down the rest of the film, but it really does setup Silence of the Lambs quite well, despite making no mention of it in the rest of the film. Edward Norton did a brilliant job in the movie, as did Ralph Fiennes(?) and Anthony Hopkins. My favorite scene had to be where he was looking for the killer somewhere inside his house...talk about thrilling.

Grade: B

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A fantastic film with a great cast and a haunting premise. Ralph Fiennes was robbed of an Oscar nomination for this film.

9/10 (A-)

Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:37 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Whereas Hannibal the (brilliant) book is a mile better than Hannibal the movie, I thought the adaptation of Red Dragon was at least on par with its source material which was certainly pleasing. Really solid thriller even if somewhat unimaginatively directed at times. A B+ from me, puts it not far below 100 on my all-time favourites list.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

A pretty solid adaptation/remake, with good performances and a well-written story, but it's lacking something to put it on par with Silence. It's really got no style to it, and the direction is apt but unremarkable - much like all of Ratner's works. He's really got no distinctiveness to his direction, and the only reason why this is his best film is because of the script and the actors. The story is pretty verbatim from the book, which is pretty good, and there are no weak links among the impressive cast, but it's missing the horror and novelty of Silence. Hopkins is terrific, though. I really liked the score, too, though that's because I'm a big fan of Danny Elfman and this one is right in line with his style. Overall, a pretty good film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:22 pm
life begins now

Not as good as either The Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal, but it was a fine addition to the series. Too bad they didn't stop after this one.

B+

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:42 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

better than hannibal but is that really saying much

B-

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]