Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Inland Empire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

Inland Empire 

Post Inland Empire
Inland Empire

Quote:
Inland Empire is a 2006 psychological thriller film with elements of horror written and directed by David Lynch. It was his first feature-length film since 2001's Mulholland Drive, and shares many similarities with that film. It premiered in Italy at the Venice Film Festival on September 6, 2006. The feature took two and a half years to complete, and was Lynch's first film to have been shot entirely in standard definition digital video.

The cast includes such Lynch regulars as Laura Dern, Justin Theroux, Harry Dean Stanton, and Grace Zabriskie, as well as Jeremy Irons and Diane Ladd. There are also very brief appearances by Nastassja Kinski, William H. Macy, Laura Harring, Terry Crews, Mary Steenburgen, and Ben Harper. The voices of Harring, Naomi Watts, and Scott Coffey are included in excerpts from Lynch's Rabbits website project.

It was named the second-best film of 2007 (tied with two others) by Cahiers du cinéma, and listed among Sight & Sound's "thirty best films of the 2000s", as well as The Guardian's "ten most underrated films of the 2000s".

Sun May 06, 2007 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is the graduate studies level David Lynch film -- it's simply not for anyone who hasn't even been to Lynch High yet.

Inland Empire is, perhaps not surprisingly, very inside...

Laura Dern herself, turns herself inside out in the role of her (later self) lifetime.

David Lynch pulls out all the stops in this full-on runaway trip into the wormholes of the psyche-eeeee!

It's terrific.

10 out of 5. (Automatic best of 2007.)

Mon May 07, 2007 1:52 am
Extraordinary

I forgot to mention that this movie is seriously freakin' creepy -- way scarier than any of the current crop of purported horror movies...

Also, my favorite IE review quote: "Lynch's most impenetrable film yet."

Mon May 07, 2007 9:33 am
Extraordinary

Here's a thoughtful review of Inland Empire for those of you waiting for the August 14th DVD release...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:38 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Post oh fine
To recap, while it is not a film for everyone and it might seem a bit self indulgent at times (as if David Lynch had pretty much created the film for himself) those willing to get lost in his world/vision will find the movie to be some kind of miracle. And it gets better as it goes along with the last hour being absolutely brilliant (it also makes less sense as it goes along, so those that require that their movies make sense might feel the complete opposite.)

But it is Laura Dern who really stands out. I really have no words to describe how good she is. Not only is it the best performance of 2006 but one of the best so far this decade. Laura Dern as a hooker on Hollywood Blvd with Beck music playing in the background is one of my all time favorite moments in film history.

So yeah. I really think this movie will develop some kind of rabid cult following. If/When, you know, more than the 5 people that have seen it so far seek it out. Which is why I've been pushing you guys to see it. :P So get to it already lol

A

More discussion on the film in the foreign and independent films forum. Ok, slight discussion and a few more people trying to get their hands on the film.

Best Actress 2008

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Post Re: Inland Empire
Tentatively, I give it a B+, but I should watch it a few more times before giving it a permanent rating.

Dern was robbed. Lynch deserves a special achievement award for creating such a bizarre, deft world out of realistic parts (it feels as lived-in as Middle Earth in LOTR). Only problem is that for a film as long and requiring as investment as it is and does, I didn't feel very moved towards the end, like I did with Mulholland Drive, so it was a bit unsatisfying when it ended. Maybe I need to watch it again. But the world it portrays, oh fuck...even his previous works had euphoria at the surface.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 pm
Kypade

So I bought this today. Can't wait to find a free afternoon where I can dedicate 179 minutes to it. :o :O

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:03 pm
Kypade

kypade wrote:
So I bought this today. Can't wait to find a free afternoon where I can dedicate 179 minutes to it. :o :O

It took until January 27th, but I did end up seeing this. After one viewing, I would have said its top 5 of the decade. I'm watching it now, and I might call it top 1 of the decade. Why does this thread have like, 3 posts?

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:17 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Wooohooo!!!

Can we all dedicate a moment to ponder on the amazing-ness of Laura Dern and especially Laura Dern as a hooker on Hollywood Blvd?

Best Actress 2008

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

At first, I was left to decide whether it was an absolute masterpiece or Lynch being as weird as he can(which is saying a lot) for 3 hours straight. I'm going with the former. It's truly unlike any movie I've ever seen. If nothing else, it deserves to be praised for that alone.

It's a 3 hour trip into insanity, and a stimulating unsolveable puzzle that makes Mulholland look like straight forward narrative. Throw that in with a spectacular performance from Dern and Lynch's perfect craft with the camera and lighting, and you can foresee its success.

Is it is best film? It's hard to say. But if there was ever any doubt that Lynch is cinema's true master of madness, this confirms it. I still have a few films of his to get to (Dune, Lost Highway, Elephant Man), but with each passing film I put him higher and higher on my favorite directors list.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:11 pm
Extraordinary

the end credits are rockin'

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Extraordinary

KJ's best reviewed, least seen movie!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm
Grill

I am a pretty big fan of David Lynch.

I am not a fan of this film. At all.

Was expecting so much more. Maybe I have to watch it again.

For now though.....

F

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:05 pm
loyalfromlondon

If you can get over the fact that it looks ugly as hell (I'll take celluloid over low-grade digital any day of the week), it's a terrifying descent into madness. A nightmare that only Lynch can create.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 pm
Extraordinary

Five long years since Inland Empire and another five years since Mulholland Dr. - - come back David, this planet needs more Lynch!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 am
New Server, Same X

What a genuinely scary, surreal, deep, twisted movie. Every time I think I've figured it out, the rug is pulled out from underneath my feet. It's like one long, bad dream (in a good way). Seriously, the best thing I've seen thus far depicting dreams is the Buffy episode, but this tops it. I don't know if Lynch intended it (don't know if he knows) but that's how I took Dern's descent into insanity.

And the scares! Never mind the terrifying visuals towards the end, just the waiting for what's coming around the corner gave me the creeps.

I didn't expect to like it, at all, but I ended up really, genuinely enjoying it. I'd love to watch it all again, but three hours is taxing.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm
New Server, Same X

Even scarier? Bradley and I agree on something. A movie, no less.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:55 pm
The Incredible Hulk

i like the vote split for this one.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 am
Kypade

where are you? the right side, or F?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 am
Pure Phase

This is a powerful experience, but, honestly, I slightly prefer Lynch ever so slightly restrained/tempered (Wild at Heart, Lost Highway) to Lynch full blown with a digital camera.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:55 am
The Incredible Hulk

kypade wrote:
where are you? the right side, or F?

the right side, duh. ;)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 am
Extraordinary

David wrote:
This is a powerful experience, but, honestly, I slightly prefer Lynch ever so slightly restrained/tempered (Wild at Heart, Lost Highway) to Lynch full blown with a digital camera.

Personally, I would prefer it if Lynch would make another feature film, any kind of film he desires.

...and it does appear there's faint hope that the drought will end...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]