Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Being John Malkovich 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Being John Malkovich 
College Boy Z

Post Being John Malkovich
Being John Malkovich

Quote:
Being John Malkovich is a 1999 American black comedy-fantasy film written by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Spike Jonze. It stars John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener, and John Malkovich, who plays a fictionalized version of himself. The film depicts Craig Schwartz (Cusack), a puppeteer who finds a small portal that leads into the mind of actor John Malkovich.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:29 am
We had our time together

Weird movie. I really liked it but it's a bit overrated. I liked Adaptation more. B+

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Oh man this is a confusing movie. I started watching this right when I woke up, not too good of an experience... Hah. It's still a fantastic movie, I may have to watch it again though. Cusack, Diaz, Keener and of course, Mr. John Malkovich himself all give excellent performances. - A

Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:20 pm
Sbil

One of my all-time favorite movies. The sheer genius of this film cannot be accurately described, I think.

The cast is uniformly excellent. Although the superb Catherine Keener did get nominated for an Oscar, John Malkovich and Cameron Diaz also deserved nominations for their performances here.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:14 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I thought it was cool in an indie sort of way right up until John Malkovich went into himself.

Then it went to pot. :mad:

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

It was just a little too bizarre for me, and I really liked Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I did really like John Malkovich's 'performance' and thought it was the highlight of the movie. I rate it a C+.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Great movie, acting was great, Spike Jonez did a great job and Kaufman is a genius (I did like Adaptation more though)

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

One of the most bizarre movies to ever come along my way, but I liked it. A lot. Kaufman is a genious screenwriter. While I consider Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind superior to this film, it is still great. The performances by Keener, Diaz, Cusack and Malkovich himself are some of their career best. The story is weird, but I enjoyed that aspect, even though it got a bit too messy in the end.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Overrated. I found not a single character in Malcovich to have a redeeming quality. While the actual premesis is funny in theory, it just didn't pan out. Especially the twist ending with the baby. It was actually quite tasteless. I couldn't really engage with anyone, and its easy to see all the kinks in direction and writing that Kaufman and Jonze cleaned up beautifully for their next outing. Still, more ambitious because of its willingness to embrace :more talk," and for Jonze early attempts at making the fantastic play out in real life. Watching how people respond to a fantasy made real.

B-

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:28 am
Award Winning Bastard

I'll be seeing this tonight, if I can ever muster up the courage. I want to like it, but it's one of those movies that either appeals or doesn't, so it's 50/50 for me.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:09 pm
Extraordinary

It was just a little too bizarre for me, and I really liked Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I did really like John Malkovich's 'performance' and thought it was the highlight of the movie. I rate it a C+.

Exactly my sentiment. I enjoyed Adaption and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a lot, but the plot here is just way too weird and didn't work out well.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I laughed and laughed from beginning to end. Well, that's not exactly true. When it started off, I was really struggling, as it seemed like I was going to be in for 2 hours of a low budget arthouse film that was going to bore me to death. That lasted for all of 5 minutes, as it kicked into gear as soon as Craig gets his new job, and then the laughs never stopped. I even had a goofy grin on my face enough that I noticed that I had a goofy grin on my face. Not sure if that's ever happened to anybody else, but it happened to me. Those low ceilings...lol I never would have guessed that was John Cusack. Catherine Keener was hysterically funny as Maxine, and I've only been recently introduced to her through S1mone and The Interpreter, but she's definitely an actress who should be getting a lot of work.

I just found the whole concept to be brilliantly conceived and written. It would be pretty bizarre to find a portal that led to a famous actor's (or anyone's) brain and eyes, and I guess that the temptation of trying to control him/her would be there, especially if I was a puppeteer.(or ever if I was a puppeteer wannabe like Sean Penn...hehe)

I was worried about this being something that I wouldn't enjoy for nothing, and it hit me (I think) why I'm enjoying these recommendations from Libs so much. I've always maintained that I find her to be extrememly smart, as well as extremely funny (that's not just recently, I've said that since the early BOM days), so it only stands to reason that I would probably connect with the comedies that she likes. I'm still trying to figure out why I like the non comedies she's recommended so much, but I think it's just because she has really good taste in movies all around.

A

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:37 am
Where will you be?

Overrated. I found not a single character in Malcovich to have a redeeming quality. While the actual premesis is funny in theory, it just didn't pan out. Especially the twist ending with the baby. It was actually quite tasteless. I couldn't really engage with anyone, and its easy to see all the kinks in direction and writing that Kaufman and Jonze cleaned up beautifully for their next outing. Still, more ambitious because of its willingness to embrace :more talk," and for Jonze early attempts at making the fantastic play out in real life. Watching how people respond to a fantasy made real.

B-

Amen. While Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine had many things throughout I felt like I could heavily identify with dealing with life and love respectably, there was little to identify with (or that you'd want to) in Malkovich. It's quirky and odd, but it all seemed more pointless and more style then substance. B-

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:04 am
Sbil

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:31 pm
College Boy Z

Yes, it was great, I admit it. I had no clue what it was about beforehand, and just saw it because it was recommended. For the first half of the film, I was totally confused. The low ceilings, the portal, the puppeteering...it just seemed to weird to be good. Not until the end of the film did I realize how brilliant everything was. I did feel what Maverikk felt. Starting it off, it just seemed like a film that would put me to sleep instantly. But, that was hard to do when it had me laughing the whole time. The cast was pretty much perfect. Didn't feel much for Cameron Diaz, although she did great, but John Cusack and Catherine Keener (need to see more of her work...she's soooo good) were fantastic, in my opinion.

I don't know. It was incredibly strange, yet pretty freakin' brilliant. Either way, loved it.

A

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:59 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Zingy, rent Arsenic and Old Lace. I guarantee you'll like it better. :biggrin:

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:13 pm
College Boy Z

Doubtful. To be honest, I'm honestly not interested in it one bit. Not because it's from 1940, not because it's black and white, but it just looked like a film I could never enjoy, based on a trailer.

I'll have to pass. :sad:

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:32 pm
You must have big rats

Maverikk wrote:

Doubtful. To be honest, I'm honestly not interested in it one bit. Not because it's from 1940, not because it's black and white, but it just looked like a film I could never enjoy, based on a trailer.

You'll laugh a whole lot, I promise.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Zingaling wrote:
Maverikk wrote:

You'll laugh a whole lot, I promise.

No question about it. You should take a chance, and I guarantee you'll be glad that you did. It's frickin' excellent!

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:38 pm
Iron Man

I don't know what to say exactly. Watching this film was a very weird experience for me. Heh. The premise was original and very funny. I was laughing quite a bit. The actors are great in their parts, especially John Cusack and Catherine Keener. It's a clever and sarcastic movie with some very skillful directing from Spike Jonze. A-

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:03 pm
Extraordinary

Well... a little more than a year later, and I watched it again this morning.

Definatly appreciate it even more, what a wonderful movie. (and its my least favorite Kaufman film... from what I've seen :happy: ) Can't wait for his next project.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:37 am
htm

I thought I would share.

It's so refreshing every time I watch it.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:27 pm
Hooray for Jensen Button

One of my all-time favorite movies. The sheer genius of this film cannot be accurately described, I think.

Amen to that :) I love this film! Not as good as Eternal Sunshine, but bloody brilliant anyway. Kauffman is a genius, partly because he's just so out there. He treds that line between originality and contrivance, and just about manages to stay on the right side. Except for Adaptation. That sucked ass.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

A weird movie, definently, but a weirdly great one. Catherine Keener and Cameron Diaz are brilliant, and the later should have been nominated for an Oscar.

A

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:03 pm
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

A rather ingenious concept that unfortunately goes a bit off the rails at the end and turns a masterpiece into a near-miss. Everything up to the "eight months later" message is fantastic: it's funny, it's smart, it's dark, it's quirky. John Malkovich's performance as himself is inspired. Cusack is a bit stale, but the two women more than make up for it with a pair of terrific performances. The story is bizarre without being over-the-top or silly. The scene where Malkovich goes into his own head is comic brilliance (even moreso when he gets beaned by a beer can as soon as he comes out). But, once Malkovich is taken over and becomes the puppeteer, it just becomes far too strange even for me and the film suffers as a result. Still, it's one of the most unique films ever made and definitely worth a look, at least.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next