Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

What grade would you give this film?
A 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Post Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Quote:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (sometimes abbreviated to CE3K and often referred to as just Close Encounters) is a 1977 science fiction film written and directed by Steven Spielberg. The film stars Richard Dreyfuss, François Truffaut, Melinda Dillon, Teri Garr, Bob Balaban, and Cary Guffey. It tells the story of Roy Neary, a lineman in Indiana, whose life changes after he has an encounter with an unidentified flying object (UFO). In addition, the United States government is also aware of the UFOs, as is a team of international scientific researchers.

Close Encounters was a long-cherished project for Spielberg. In late 1973, he developed a deal with Columbia Pictures for a science fiction film. Though Spielberg receives sole credit for the script, he was assisted by Paul Schrader, John Hill, David Giler, Hal Barwood, Matthew Robbins, and Jerry Belson, all of whom contributed to the screenplay in varying degrees. The title is derived from ufologist J. Allen Hynek's classification of close encounters with aliens, in which the third kind denotes human observations of actual aliens or "animate beings".

Filming began in May 1976. Douglas Trumbull served as the visual effects supervisor, while Carlo Rambaldi designed the aliens. Close Encounters was released in November 1977 and was a critical and financial success. The film was reissued in 1980 as Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Special Edition, which featured additional scenes. A third cut of the film was released to home video (and later DVD) in 1998. The film received numerous awards and nominations at the 50th Academy Awards, 32nd British Academy Film Awards, the 35th Golden Globe Awards, the Saturn Awards and has been widely acclaimed by the American Film Institute. In December 2007, it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Wow, we seriously didn't have a thread for this?

An absolute classic. 'Tis a shame it had to come out the same year of Star Wars.

****/****

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The best science fiction movie ever made. Period. There are so many things to love about this film. First, it's the ultimate change in pace in terms of theme for alien movies with the fact that their intentions aren't to harm us, which Spielberg explored once again with E.T.. Then there are the performances. Dreyfuss's performance was and still is Oscar worthy. And although she is given the role of "nervous wife", Teri Garr did some great supporting work. And then there is the the music. If I wasn't such a fan of the Superman score, I would say that this is probably Williams' best work as a composer.

I've loved the film ever since I was a kid and it's one of my favorites.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yet another boring, over-rated Speilberg movie...

5 Yawns.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:34 pm
Squee

Yet another boring, over-rated Speilberg movie...

5 Yawns.

Going to agree with Bradley on this one.

Overrated movie, the best time I had in it was finally understanding all of those Simpsons/That 70's Show references.

:glare:

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:36 pm
loyalfromlondon

A true Spielbergian film, with the sense of magic and wonder that it develops. It's a curious thing, then, that this is one of his most overlooked films. I suppose because it was released so close to Star Wars, it just got ignored, but it's one of the great science fiction films of its time. The climatic scene, at Devil's Tower, is appropriately fantastic, but it's everything leading up to it that makes this film so great. The scenes of the scientists finding the missing planes + ship, Neary building replicas of Devil's Tower in everything, the terrifying abduction sequence - all are iconic moments in science fiction cinema. Richard Dreyfuss gives a superb performance - better than anything else I've seen him in - and he's aptly supported. The score is solid and the effects are superb. The paranoid government conspiracy scenes slow the film a bit, but everything else is terrific. Simply magical.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:33 pm
htm

Probably my favorite Spielberg film... love it.

He can be such a great director.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:43 pm
Begging Naked

WOKJ sometimes just disgusts me. :nonono:

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One C and one D?

WOKJ sometimes just disgusts me. :nonono:

Ya know what's even more disgusting about WOKJ?

That four people could give this pile of crap an A!?!?! :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:54 am
Veteran

I think this is underrated, not overrated. I watched it again a few months ago and thought it was so much better than I remembered it being. A+ from me.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Post Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Finally saw this, wow. A.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

The most enjoyment I got out of the movie was remembering all of the parodies it spawned.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:01 pm
Superman: The Movie

Squee wrote:

The most enjoyment I got out of the movie was remembering all of the parodies it spawned.

You don't say? ;)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Jmart007 wrote:
Squee wrote:

You don't say? ;)

What the hell???

I think I was drunk.

Not sure how I missed that other post...... I even remember looking for it. :zonks:

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:57 am
Extraordinary

boring boring boring boujrng objrnbrk bfinboklfdbnmo ifiboxfvc

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:32 am
now we know

I had never seen this before until last night, and now I know why. I have to admit that Spielberg is a master of the big movie. He knows what he's doing and what he wants to achieve, but here what he wanted to achieve and what is actually entertaining are completely different things. He's trying to create an alien movie that says 'if they did come, this is a more real version of what it might be like'. But my gripe here is that it's all fiction, so if it's all fiction, why not at least make it exciting? This is a pretty boring film for the most part. The initial arrival of the aliens is good. Then it has a strange and huge middle section before we see them again, and it's unneeded. The ending is interesting but strangely paced. Some of the special effects hold up even to this day, but a lot also do not. I liked much of Dreyfuss' character's dialogue, but he and Melinda Dillon's characters are TERRIBLE parents, especially Dillon. She basically lets her son go through the dog flap. She lets him wander off all by himself. And Dreyfuss fucks off to see a flying saucer without a care of what might happen to him. He might be leaving his kids without a father. He doesn't know. He already lost his job and doesn't give a shit.

Sadly, Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a Sunday afternoon snooze fest at best. That gangly alien thing at the end is embarrassing, and those little aliens are clearly children.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Interestingly, Carl Weathers is listed as appearing in this, but I never saw him.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Also, while I appreciate that it's a different alien movie in that they haven't come here to rule or kill us, what did they come here for? It's not really explained. They took some soldiers for 30 years then brought them back (having not aged a day). They took a boy for a few days then brought him back. I'm not the type of viewer that needs every detail explained, but it would have been nice to at least have some theories thrown around by the suits in charge. There are things to appreciate with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but also a lot that makes it not the classic it could've been.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]