Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cast Away 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Cast Away 

Post Cast Away
Cast Away

Quote:
Cast Away is a 2000 drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis and starring Tom Hanks as a FedEx employee stranded on an uninhabited island after his plane crashes in the South Pacific. The film depicts his successful attempts to survive on the island using remnants of his plane's cargo, as well as his eventual escape and return to society. Hanks was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role at the 73rd Academy Awards for his critically acclaimed performance.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Watched this on TNT the other day, still a very solid film that rests soley on Hanks for 2/3 of the movie and it definitely excels. My original gripe stands by though. After it goes "Four Years Later" everything that was stellar was not as good. I guess thats what happens when you take 8 months off of shooting and make a movie in between while your actor looses 50 lbs. Its still good, but no up there with the rest. The death of Wilson is suprisingly emotional, and the fact that his true love can never be with him again are great moments, but the film somewhat ends on a stalemate ending a film that goest from amazing to just very good.

A (Hanks was amazing though and definitely worthy of an Oscar nomination)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:46 pm
Stanley Cup

Great film. Hanks shows he is one of the best actors every

B+

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:51 pm
Extraordinary

(...and I love survival movies -- this is trash from beginning to end.)

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:27 pm
Teh Mexican

Great movie indeed but it get kind of boring at times. This was the second time i seen it, i downgraded the movie a bit from A to...

B+

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 pm
Begging Naked

When I saw this when it first came out, I thought it was the Greatest Movie Ever Made. I was 10 at the time.

I should probably rent it again.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

Does every film than ends with the lead standing at a crossroad must suck? This is a tad better than Broken Flowers, but it is still awful. Extremely boring and anti-climactic.

D.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:24 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Even after he gets home, when everyone else starts to hate it, I love.

A

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:38 am
---------

Every time I see it on TV, I'm hooked instantly. The movie's incredible, folks. The best survival movie out there. But WHAT was in the last package???

A

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 am
On autopilot for the summer

Every time I see it on TV, I'm hooked instantly. The movie's incredible, folks. The best survival movie out there. But WHAT was in the last package???

A

Zemeckis said in the commentary that its a Global positioning, sattelite phone with solar powered batteries.

The best Survival movie has to go to the Fugitive in my mind though. Sure its not the same, but its still survival.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
life begins now

Hanks is awesome, and I am with Libs that it is still just as good when he gets home.

B+

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

The film is just decent and I do think it loses steam once he gets home. Tom Hanks is tremendous, though. As much as I loved Gladiator and Crowe's performance in it, I do think that Hanks deserved that Oscar. Then again, Crowe got robbed next year for A Beautiful Mind.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

C-

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:24 am
Profile YIM
htm

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:01 pm
Sbil

Post Re: Cast Away
I am watching it on cable for the umpteenth time and the part where he loses Wilson in the ocean while making his escape?

Heartbreaking.

That damn volleyball.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Cream of the Crop

Still love this. Hanks deserved his 3rd Oscar.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:45 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Magnus wrote:
Extremely high replay value.

Absolutely. I've seen it countless times by now and it never gets boring but I have some big problems with the third act which keep it away from my all-time faves.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Frankly a wasted opportunity. A story like this has so much potential for a thought-provoking, deep film...but here it just feels childish and predictable. Where are the conflicts about sexual desire, about losing your sense of "civilization"? When he goes back to the "real world" it feels like no time has passed at all. Some parts are extremely boring as well.

B for Hanks' performance which is pretty memorable.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:59 pm
Mod Team Leader

I remember the day I was going to see this film what I was thinking to myself. I was driving to wherever, and I began to wonder how Hanks was going to get rescued. It would probably be by a plane going overhead or he was going to make an attempt to sail off the island in some crude contraption of a boat and then be rescued by some ocean tanker that transports cars from Tokyo to Nova Scotia. I then began to think of what expression I would have if I was the extra in the film that had the thankless non speaking role of the guy that sees Hanks first. Would my eyes bulge from their forehead? Would I look like I had just seen a ghost? Would I just stare in awe as the tiny boat floated by and was dwarfed by the tanker that I was on? Would I be smoking a cigarette and it would just stick to my bottom lip as my mouth became agape? These are all tough choices to make for an extra with such a vital role in the film. Which one of these reactions actually happened in the film? Well if you have seen the film, you know exactly what happened and if you haven't then you'll just have to read a little further to find out. But just saffice it to say that it is issues like this one that made the film a 7 for me and not the 9.5 that it should have been. And that is a shame.

Cast Away is a very good film, it's just that it could have been one of the best if only they would have put a little more care into it. Even though the film is a good 2 and half hours, it deserved to be three. When you go to great pains to have a story of this magnitude then why can you not close the deal and make the last act just as good as the middle one?

What is good about the film is the first act and what is even better is the second one. We are introduced to Hanks as a guy that lives and dies by his watch. He is always timing everything and he is so busy that he has to schedule in his girlfriend for New Year's. It is a promise, he guarantees her that he will be home for this festive time of year. So far Hanks's character, while a little intricate and obsessive, seems like many of us. We all live by the clock in one way or another. It's just that he is a little more serious about it. But in these times that we live in, we are all bound by deadlines, we are all aware of the time and we are all a little obsessive about our jobs at one time or another. So again, we can relate to his character quite well. Of course that all changes when the plane that he is on crashes in the middle of the ocean somewhere. Hanks uses a raft to drift for days and he comes up on a deserted, almost uncharted island in the middle of nowhere. It is here that the strength of the film is presented. And this is the most amazing thing about the film. We are not only entertained with Hanks on an island by himself, but we want more. We are captivated. At least I was. The film moves slowly at times when he is here but it also captures the feeling of isolation, loneliness, despair, hope and a plethora of other feelings in between. Hanks does an incredible job of conveying these emotions inspite of the fact that he is the only thing on screen. He has no one to talk to so he finds an inanimate object and gives it life. It's name is Wilson, a volleyball that has washed up on shore that Hanks breathes life into. Wilson becomes a great character and when it is in danger at times, it frightened me and saddened me that it was. I have not experienced an array of emotions the way I did when he was on the island. And as much as I wanted to see Hanks get off the island, I was completely engulfed in his time there. When he eventually did get off, I craved for him to be back on that tiny island, with Wilson, his coconuts, his caves, his fire and all else that was there. Up until his rescue ( and you knew that was inevitable, from the trailers ), this was easily one of the five best films of the year. But what it did once he got rescued was very weak and very poor. There was so much more that they could have done. There never was that reaction shot of the guy on the ocean liner that first sees him. There was never really any reaction to him getting rescued. It just happened. I wanted to see everyone's faces and expressions when this man that has been lost for 4 years come home. But not once did we get that. And that is what I meant when I said that this films should have been 3 hours long, hell it could have been 3 and a half, that would have given us closure and maybe a little more honesty. As it stands, it is a good film, but with the combined talents of Zemekis and Hanks, it could have been so much more. And that makes it disappointing.

7 out of 10- Still a good film and a fantastic journey, but it lacked once he got off the island. However, Hanks should be nominated for best actor and if he wins, there should be no complaints. It is an incredible performance. This film is worth seeing but it also worth noting that there are quite a few better films out there so far this year

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I was expect an adult version of Lord of the Flies film (even though the ones with the kids is very disturbing), but this was a very good film...

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love it, too.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 am
Forum General

I haven't seen this movie in YEARS but I remember enjoying it as a kid.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

The sequences on the island are very good, but the rest of the film is underdeveloped. You care about him, but you really don't give a shit that he loses his wife or anything else. Awesome survival scenes. The banter between him and Wilson is easy to see why it has become so iconic.

B

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 am
now we know

I caught this on TV the other day. Obviously it's a great film, but it made me ponder movies nowadays against movies back then, and it was only 22 years ago. I suppose that's both a long time ago and not so long ago, particularly for a seismic shift in the the way movies are received. You just would not get a story-driven film starring a single movie star with minimal dialogue reaching over $230 million these days.

I also couldn't think who made it while I was watching. That's embarrassing to admit, but I had Ron Howard in mind for some reason, and I do not believe it's even too much of a stretch. It's totally the sort of film he could've made. But, alas, it was Robert Zemeckis. Both great directors.

I don't think I'd seen it since 2000/01, so it was lovely to revisit it, sparking nostalgia for turn-of-the-millennium cinema.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next