Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Premonition 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Premonition 

Post Premonition
Premonition

Quote:
Premonition is a 2007 American drama film directed by Mennan Yapo and starring Sandra Bullock and Julian McMahon. Principal photography took place in Louisiana.

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

It keeps you guessing and is actually less predictable than I thought it might be, but there are some logic problems and certain glaring plot holes. However, I still did like the movie. Sandra Bullock is actually really quite good here, and is responsible for elevating the movie's quality. In the end, it gets a lot of things right, but it leaves the viewer with some nagging questions unanswered. B-

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:19 am
Star Trek XI

Bullock saves the film. I'm trying not to think so much into the plot holes(like the daughter's scars), but the rest is merely an ok thriller. C+

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I didn't really see it coming, but I don't know, I didn't really like it.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:21 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

A decent movie, but there are obvious plot holes and the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if it fit exactly and I didn't like the big event that happened before that. Sandra Bullock was great and it was an enjoyable thriller regardless of the drawbacks.

B

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
Orphan

Mostly dull attempt at a thriller that goes far too long in circles before reaching a downer of a conclusion with a lame tacked-on effort at making it upbeat. The film really gets slow in the middle, much moreso than necessary.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:52 pm
Team Kris

Average movie before the horrible ending. I couldn't think of a worse ending than what was put on screen.

D

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Zodiac is the best film of the year.
Because I Said So is the worst film of the year.
Premonition is the dumbest film of the year.

I really don't know where to begin with this mess. I might as well start by saying that the film isn't awful thanks to Sandra Bullock. With anyone else this is a laughable mess. With her, it's barely watchable. She's the only decent thing about the film.

Okay, let's start with what this film is supposed to be. A drama? A poor one. A thriller? Not really thrilling? A comedy? Close. There too many unintentional laughs in this thing to really take the film seriously. I mean, when you have a scene outside of a church where only two guys are trying to carry the casket - while the lady who works for the funeral home is saying that Bullock can't see the body - only to have the casket fling open to only have the head pop out and roll around on the ground for as long as PG-13 film can allow, that's just stupid. You can't pass that off as traumatic because it's just too funny.

Bullock's character is committed? Why? Because the mother saw the scars on the child and immediately assumed that she did it? Nice parental benefit of the doubt. Because she said that her husband would die the next day? Okay, like the psych said himself, we all say, dream and imagine things, so that can't be it? Did she do something on Thursday and Friday that I'm forgetting about? Did she take out a clock tower?

How about Supergirl running through a glass door? It doesn't help that the door was clearly a CGI cartoon when the girl ran through, but how about just the simple idea of it? Why is it in the film? To make a beautiful small little girl look like Leatherface? Because I didn't see any reason why that had to be in the film, except to mark which day Bullock was in, which could've just been answered with a simple title card? She also kept that calendar up didn't she? We saw it what, twice?

Now let's move onto the things that weren't funny, but still puzzled the shit out me.

What about that psychiatrist (Spelling) who just hands out Lithium? I know you have to condense some scenes to keep the film moving, but she met with him for all of five minutes? Talk about a drug addicts wet dream.

The affair. Boy did you like how that was played up? It's basically handled as an afterthought, but it's a big key to the film. It's the key to when Bullock realizes that she can pretty much control her husband's death. She ponders it for chrissake! But what, it's played up with a phone call at the end, and a scene with the mistress at the cementary and at her front door? What's also a mystery is why the husband wanted the affair. So, I'll ask. Why? All I could gather it was a silent distance between the two. But in anything except a silent film, that's not enough. He's just interested for the sake of the plot. Plot? HA!

And then we come down to the all important question - why was she having these premonitions? Did anyone find it kind of odd that it's almost written off? If you take that scene out of the film where she goes to church, you've got no other evidence as to why she has them. That saying, they almost would've been better off. She has premonitions because she has a loss of faith? Or was it the other way around? Either way...........whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Finally we come upon the ending. I would've been very leniant on the things I mentioned above, if it weren't for one of the worst endings I have ever seen in a film.

SPOILERS PEOPLE!!!

Her husband dies. Fair enough you might say? Not if you invested 90 minutes on someone who is kind of trying to prevent the whole thing from happening. I say kind of because she has that one scene on the bed when she's not sure. And then to top the whole thing off, she's pregnant! Which makes killing him even worse. There's a 10 minute seqence prior where the two of them fall in love again, and it almost seems that they maybe a complete family again. So they kill him off?

I guess here pregnancy is supposed to represent hope and gaining her faith back, but let's be honest here. She's a thrity-something partial wacko who is now in charge of three kids. She will have to raise them all by herself and from the looks of things, she didn't have a job. Sure they have the money from the policy the husband set in when he apparenly became suspicious of his wife's warning (We never see a scene to really confirm it), but how long will that last them? Should I care? And then how about the simple fact that even though he apparently paid attention to his wife's warnings, he still tried to go and see that woman, with that business meeting tacked on. Did I mention that the affair was hardly brought up? So we're pretty much lead to believe he's a fucking moron right?

There my rant is done.

As I was writing this, my original grade was going to be a C-. Now that I look at my rant, it's not really worthy of that grade. If Bullock wasn't in the film, it's a flat out F. With her...........

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Meh. It was alright. Sandra Bullock was really good, but it really dragged and wasn't all that interesting or compelling. I'd give it a C+. I was disappointed.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:40 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

I had one hope/expectation going into this movie -- that it wouldn't be another one of those movies dealing with the future where, in trying to prevent said event from happening, our hero/heroine causes said event to happen.

And that's what it was.

The movie tried too hard to be something it wasn't and it handled the whole situation poorly. The affair is huge for Linda's character, yet it is barely acknowledged. Nothing tells us why they fell apart or when it started happening -- we're just supposed to make our own assumptions based on the distance they keep from one another. And the whole days happening out of order thing just didn't work for me either because it caused to many plotholes and things that didn't make sense.

The only things I liked about this movie were Julian McMahon, who I wish had more screen time, and Sandra Bullock. I normally dislike her, but I really liked her in this role. Not only that, she looked beautiful. I normally find her unattractive and I don't know what changed, but she looked stunning. She was pretty much the only saving grace in this movie.

C-/D

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It's not awful (except for the ending), but it's a bit of a mess. As it's been said, the film's main problem is that it tries to be too smart. The days being told out of order could have been handled better since it caused a whole bunch of glaring plot holes. The cast is really what carried the film - both Sandra Bullock (except for that scene where she saw the severed head - I laughed at that...a lot) and Julian McMahon gave solid performances. There was a good film in there somewhere, and like I said, it's not awful. But the organization of the film, unanswered questions and that stupid ending brought it down a notch. It's just okay.

C

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

What a big fucking mess. Sandra Bullock is the only thing you should see the movie for, she's magnificent.

Sandra A+

The movie: D+

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:04 am
You must have big rats

What a jumbled mess! If not for Sandra Bullock I would have really really really hated this. Bullock shows off her acting chops here (as far as the screenplay allows her to do so) and the showing the day out of order concept is pretty interesting too....at first. But then, it leads to a lot of plot holes and things that just don't make much sense. I saw the ending coming a mile away, but I'm glad they didn't decide to go with a different kind of an ending because the one they have delivered was the only logical thing at this point of the film, preventing her husband from dying would have pretty much rendered the rest of the film even less logical than it already was (a hard feat, I know).

And then the end with her pregnant...puh-lease! I also agree with a lot of things in jamrt's post, but too lazy to type them all up again.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Premonition
i checked my watch about 50 times suffering through this piece of shit and i think bullock made the whole affair worse than it already was. she's easily one of the most annoying actresses working today.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:34 am
Profile ICQ
Gamaur's sex slave

Post Re: Premonition
Whatever happened to Nebs?

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]