Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 This Film Is Not Yet Rated 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Post This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Quote:
This Film is Not Yet Rated is a 2006 independent documentary film about the Motion Picture Association of America's rating system and its effect on American culture, directed by Kirby Dick and produced by Eddie Schmidt. It premiered at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival and was released limited on September 1, 2006. The Independent Film Channel, the film's producer, aired the film later that year. It was rated TV-MA in the United States.

The MPAA gave the original cut of the film an NC-17 rating for "some graphic sexual content" – scenes that illustrated the content a film could include to garner an NC-17 rating. Kirby Dick appealed, and descriptions of the ratings deliberations and appeal were included in the documentary. The new version of the film is not rated.

The film discusses disparities the filmmaker sees in ratings and feedback: between Hollywood and independent films, between homosexual and heterosexual sexual situations, between male and female sexual depictions, and between violence and sexual content.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

A very polished, entertaining, and fairly illuminating (at least to me) indictment of what is so clearly a ridiculous entity that's now operating without a whole lot of purpose. It makes good points about the whole self-regulation thing.

It runs a little long, though, and I have problems with Dick's quest at the end to out each and every screener. He's trying to promote transparency in the MPAA, and thus it should be THEIR responsibility to disclose such information, not his; it becomes very sensational and a bit silly.

Liked it a lot, though. B+

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Fairly enjoyable and entertaining look at the MPAA, presented in a (mostly) well-organized manner with some pretty good arguments. Pretty much everything involving the history of the organization, including all the director interviews, is top-notch. I found the animations amusing and the film clips well-used, and the film puts together a pretty good case. Where the movie falters, however, is the entire section with the private eye, which doesn't fit well into the rest of the flick. It's a clear example of trying to inject a narrative into the film, which it really doesn't need at all. Still, the film is well-made and fun to watch.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:48 pm
Forum General

Post Re: This Film Is Not Yet Rated
I'm watching this right now. I saw it once when it came out but I forgot how entertaining it is. :P Love it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I enjoyed it. I'd probably give it a B/B+. Worth a watch for sure, but not something I'd watch again.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:04 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

This really is one of the better documentaries I've seen.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]