Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Venus 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Venus 

Post Venus
Venus

Quote:
Venus is a 2006 British comedy-drama film starring Peter O'Toole, Leslie Phillips, Vanessa Redgrave and Jodie Whittaker. It is directed by Roger Michell and written by Hanif Kureishi.

The film premiered at the Telluride Film Festival and was put on limited release in the United States on 21 December 2006.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Here's a copy of my review from over in the F&I ghetto:

bradley witherberry wrote:
Venus: Is It Secretly A Foreign & Independent Film?

I only ask, because I see there isn't a thread for it over in the mainstream "Everyone's A Critic" forum -- well that, and the fact that this film has a young woman's bare bosoms in it. That's always a warning sign of either foreign-ness and/or independence, in my experience.

The sad part about it is, this darn movie's another one of them "really good idea, not really well executed" kinda movies. Although there's quotable lines aplenty in the script, the overall story arc is clunkiness incarnate. And then you've got Peter O'Toole's trademark overacting. Yeah, yeah -- I see how it might be fun if you're in the mood, but how many times does one have to be quoted Shakespeare to be bludgeoned into appropriately worshipful submission? The girl was good, in acting, and especially in the aforementioned bosom department. Don't deny it, any older man wants to look, and in the case of Venus, "older" takes on a breathclenching breadth of meaning.

So, how can I rate this beautiful monstrosity? I suppose I gotta roll right down the middle with a:

3 out of 5.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:34 pm
life begins now

A flawed film by many counts, but Peter O'Toole gives the best male performance of last year. He gave the role everything he had and it turned out brilliantly. His scenes with Redgrave are particually great, but he was amazing in almost every scene of the movie. I don't see how the academy can pass him up for an 8th time, especially since he deserves it for this role, it wouldn't just be a pity vote.

B-

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:36 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Now I can't for the life of me understand why this isn't nominated for any other major award at the Oscars besides Best Actor. Venus is one of the most haunting, funny, depressing and bittersweet films of the whole year and it's a real treat to watch. Of course, Peter O'Toole gives a terrific performance here. He gives hands down the best male performance of the year and I really hope that he can somehow win the Oscar, though it's completely doubtful. Even with such a great performance, he's not the stand out. Giving one of the most underrated performances of all time is British beauty Jodie Whittaker. In an hour and a half, this girl made me laugh, made me angry and made me cry. I haven't seen a performance like hers all year and I can't understand why nobody is talking about it. It's just brilliant work and it's hard to believe it's her first film role. Simply amazing, breathtaking performance. The script is fantastic, starting at a funny, entertaining pace and ending on a sad, yet bittersweet note. I can't recommend Venus enough. It's one of the years best and if you have a chance, you really should give it a chance.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:59 am
Profile YIM WWW