Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Notes on a Scandal 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Notes on a Scandal 

Post Notes on a Scandal
Notes on a Scandal

Quote:
Notes on a Scandal is a 2006 psychological thriller film, adapted from the 2003 novel of the same name by Zoë Heller. The screenplay was written by Patrick Marber and the film was directed by Richard Eyre. Many parts of the film were shot in Islington Arts and Media School. The soundtrack was composed by Philip Glass.

It was nominated for four Academy Awards – Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I really enjoyed it. It's not exactly deep-thinking, but it was very entertaining and compelling. Dench probably gave the best performance by a lead female that I've seen this year (Haven't seen The Queen, Volver or Little Children). It was fun watching her get deeper into her relationship with Sheba and slowly come to the realization of just how crazy/pathetic/lonely she really is (The scene where she confronts Sheba after her cat dies was intense without falling into the campy-funny). It really did walk a fine line between a film with dignity and an all-out bitchfest like sa, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, and pulled it off nicely.

***.5/****

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Entertaining film with excellent performances from Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, as well as Bill Nighy. The only flaw was that it was surprisngly too short with less depth than I would've liked. B.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Right, I agree with alex that it was short and pretty hollow, but very entertaining and a great psychological thriller (the score when Barbara discovers the dirty doings of Sheba and Steven? Fantastic!). Great performances from Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, and Bill Nighy. This movie has one of my favorite phrases... "YOU'RE NOT YOUNG!!!!" (And the constant insults of Barbara towards the "fatty" teacher).

Though my friend and I felt like taking a really, really cold shower after. Judi Dench was that smarmy, creepy, and desperate. (Not to mention Cate and Andrew Simpson's fun sex romps and dirty text messages).

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:15 am
Sbil

This was very entertaining, surprisingly humorous thriller-lite. It reminded me a lot of The Talented Mr. Ripley, except it was more darkly funny. Judi Dench is just awesome playing a relatively unbalanced woman (witness her total meltdown after Sheba refuses to accompany her to go visit her dying cat). Cate Blanchett is just as strong as Sheba, who manages to be sympathetic despite her less-than-sympathetic actions in the picture. It could've been longer, but I had a good time. A-

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:59 am
Team Kris

I liked the part where Bill Nighy told her off when she forces Cate Blanchett to accompany her in seeing her cat die instead. :biggrin:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I'm seeing this the week after next. Cannot wait.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

What a fantastic film.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:04 am
Profile YIM
Team Kris

Anyone else liked Philip Glass' score? It's probably one of his superior works.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:05 pm
htm

Phillip Glass :blush:

I melt at the sound of his name. He can drive me to see anything.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:28 pm
Begging Naked

Best score I've heard so far this year.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:52 am
Profile YIM

Entertaining film with excellent performances from Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, as well as Bill Nighy. The only flaw was that it was surprisngly too short with less depth than I would've liked. B.

My thoughts exactly, I liked it, and the film was surprisingly funny at points, but more depth was needed. I do think they did a good job showing Blanchett's relationship with her student and how such a thing would develop.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:30 pm
Extraordinary

A very well done remake of Fatal Attraction...

Now -- with added creepiness!!!

5 out of 5.

(I'm glad to see that once again they went with exceptional actors to play the leads -- it's so important to sell the characterizations for this story to come off well...)

((On a sadder note, the standard female-male double standard is on display -- bit 'o the ol' slap on the wrist, is it?))

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 am
Cream of the Crop

What an extremely fun, quotable and engrossing movie with 2 of the best performances of the year (plus Bill Nighy, who also has his small share of juicy bits, lol).

You kinda feel dirty afterwards for loving it so much, but in a good way and it was meant to make us feel dirty, I think, so... :biggrin: Another deliciously intrusive score by Philip Glass and its short running time are other bonuses to keep the audiences on the edge of their seats. (I actually enjoyed the fact that it was only an hour and a half long). It should crack my final top 10 of the year. Woot!

I'm leaning towards an A-...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I really liked it. I thought the script did a great job in exloring the motivations of Sheba to engage in such an affair and she became a more sympathetic character as a result. It starts slow and really builds to a crackling conclusion, with Dench and Blanchett at their very best. Cate raises her goddess status with this film (oh, how I longed to be Steven). Beyond her beauty and sexuality there is quite a nicely drawn character there, caught in the midst of a marriage and family which she is very grateful for having, yet she yearns for carnal pleasures which have long since elluded her. Dench goes through a range of emotions and is absolutely convincing in every moment. The score felt a little overbearing once or twice early on, but I felt it suited the grand drama that came later on.

A-

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

What a delicious little thriller this is. It was so darkly funny too, even the fights were funny. Too funny in fact. "He's 16 in May!" LOL!

Oh Cate you blew me away. I don't know where to stop. I thought Bill Nighy was flat up until the end of the film. But doesn't Dench own the screen.

I thought the short running time worked for this movie.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:37 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I had to see this again. I brought more people this time and of course, I was the only one laughing again. This time I focused on Sheba. She gets me every time. Her naivety is played so strong.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:53 am
Teh Mexican

great movie, it keeps you interested from start to finish. Awesome performances!

A-

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 am
life begins now

A little short, but great nonetheless. Dench gives probably her best performance and her most unique one at that. Blanchette is equally awesome in her role. The score was great and it was surprisingly funny at times.

A-

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:49 am
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

A little bit... odd. And actually too long, if you ask me (felt like three hours). But it manages to be an effective and suspenseful little film with great performances. A mixed bag, I guess.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:17 pm
Stanley Cup

B+. Solid film, story a little boring but Judi and Cate give fanatastic performance and the score was pitch perfect.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:01 pm
Extraordinary

A-.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:24 pm
htm

(Almost) Flawlessly executed, though I do understand the concerns some of you may have - it is a bit transparent at times. Nonetheless, it was a rapturous experience.... the skill with which Dench and Blanchett execute their characters ought to be studied, and Glass's score ranged from haunting to thrilling. It's a film with nearly all the trappings of a masterpiece: delicious characters, superiorly executed technical aspects, and authentic drama.

A

Mon May 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

"YOU'RE NOT YOUNG! I say this to help you"

I so want to see this again... :happy:

Tue May 29, 2007 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next