Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 For Your Consideration 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

For Your Consideration 
now we know

Post For Your Consideration
For Your Consideration

Quote:
For Your Consideration is a 2006 comedy film directed by Christopher Guest. It was co-written by Guest and Eugene Levy, both also starring in the film.

The title is a phrase used in trade advertisements to promote films for honors such as the Academy Awards. The plot revolves around three actors (played by Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, and Harry Shearer) who learn that their performances in the film they haven't even completed yet, Home for Purim, a drama set in the mid-1940s American South, are supposedly generating a great deal of award-season buzz.

Many of the cast return from This Is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind, including Levy, O'Hara, Posey, Shearer, Michael McKean, Fred Willard, Bob Balaban, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Lynch, Ed Begley, Jr., Michael Hitchcock, John Michael Higgins and Jim Piddock.

Ricky Gervais, the co-creator of the British television series The Office, also appears, while John Krasinski, Richard Kind, and Sandra Oh make brief cameos. While the dialogue is largely improvised by the actors as in Guest's earlier films, the format is a departure from the mockumentary style.

The film received its World Premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2006. It was produced by Warner Independent Pictures in association with Castle Rock Entertainment and Shangri-La Entertainment.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

After a slightly slow start, this film becomes a laugh riot with across-the-board terrific performances. And the last act is as affecting on an emotional level as it is hilarious. A-.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I'm going off to see this on Sunday, definately anticipating it now.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:44 am
Forum General

Started off funny, but fell flat about halfway through. And it just sorta faded out without a real ending. Guest should stick to mockumentaries.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:14 am
Sbil

Funny, but easily Christopher Guest's weakest movie.

Catherine O'Hara was brilliant.

B-

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:07 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Color me very disappointed. Wow this was a big misfire for Christopher Guest. There are some funny moments in the film, but their style of humor works less in the more scripted film.

Pose, Gervais, Guest, and O'Hara, Coolidge were very good,. That being said it took me about 10 minutes to start laughing, and then it worked for the most part, but the script is a mess. It's not completely thow away, as their are some moments that very well acted and actually have good depth to them. But I didnt like how the film just randomly ends. I'll give it a C+ for now. The trailers really hurted the film for me, as a lot of the best jokes are in there.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

Funny, but easily Christopher Guest's weakest movie.

Catherine O'Hara was brilliant.

B-

[font=century gothic]That's pretty much what I think, though Fred Willard steals the movie. He was great, especially during the final 20 minutes where he interviews the three of them.

It's a good film, but I was expecting a little bit more of a punch to it.

B[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Started off slow, then it became a laugh riot in the last act.

Grade: B.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A biting satire of the film industry's obsession with awards season, For Your Consideration marks a departure for Christopher Guest - with this film not fitting the mold of his expected "mockumentary" style. Surprisingly, however, it is one of his best films. Along with an incredibly talented ensemble, Guest makes many true observations over the subject matter and makes this an incredibly enjoyable experience. Catherine O'Hara is fantastic, delivering a spot-on comedic performance and one of the year's best supporting performances. Highly recommended.

A-

Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:18 am
Profile YIM
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I would also say that it was the weakest of Guest's movies, but it was still very entertaining. I just really enjoy this cast of characters with Willard being one of the most entertaining. However, I think the monkey weather girl stole the show.

My grade: B

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:20 pm
Top Poster

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Will Christopher Guest ever get his groove back? I'd love to see it, but I'm kind of doubting it. Waiting For Guffman was very good and funny, and Best in Show is absolutely HILARIOUS. It's all downhill from there though. A Mighty Wind was just poor and unfunny, and while this one is a tad better it's still one of Guest's weakest efforts. Hell, even though I liked A Mighty Wind less I would probably have to say this one is his weakest effort. They selected a few jokes for the movie and then overused them. There are way too many misses here and not enough hits. It does have some funny moments, I'll give it that, but not nearly enough to sustain its already short length. Guest has just lost his touch.

Grade: 5/10 ( C )

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm
invading your spaces

He hit the mark with O'Hara but some of the rest of the cast/concept is starting to wear a bit thin.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

A few solid chuckles, but otherwise very meandering and uneven. I actually think the mockumentary thing might have worked well here.

C+

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]