Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Raging Bull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Raging Bull 
College Boy Z

Post Raging Bull
Raging Bull

Quote:
Raging Bull is a 1980 American biographical sports drama film directed by Martin Scorsese, and adapted by Paul Schrader and Mardik Martin from the Jake La Motta memoir Raging Bull: My Story. It stars Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta, a middleweight boxer whose sadomasochistic rage, sexual jealousy, and animalistic appetite exceeded the boundaries of the prizefight ring, and destroyed his relationship with his wife and family. Also featured in the film are Joe Pesci as Joey, La Motta's well intentioned brother and manager who tries to help Jake battle his inner demons; and Cathy Moriarty as his abused wife. The film features supporting roles from Nicholas Colasanto, Theresa Saldana, and Frank Vincent.

Scorsese was partially convinced by De Niro to develop the project, though he eventually came to relate to La Motta's story. Schrader re-wrote Martin's first screenplay, and Scorsese and De Niro together made uncredited contributions thereafter. Pesci was an unknown actor prior to the film, as was Moriarty, who was suggested for her role by Pesci. During principal photography, each of the boxing scenes was choreographed for a specific visual style and De Niro gained approximately 60 pounds (27 kg) to portray La Motta in his early post-boxing years. Scorsese was exacting in the process of editing and mixing the film, expecting it to be his last major feature.

After receiving mixed initial reviews (and criticism due to its violent content), it went on to garner a high critical reputation and is now widely regarded among the greatest films ever made, including by Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times, renowned British motion picture historian Leslie Halliwell, the American Film Institute, Time magazine, The New York Times, Variety, Entertainment Weekly, Empire magazine, Total Film, Film 4, BFI's Sight and Sound and AMC's FilmSite. It was listed in the National Film Registry in 1990, its first year of eligibility.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 pm
Squee

It wasn't bad, but one of the best movies of the 80s? Nah.

:glare:

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:12 pm
Extraordinary

Brilliant performance by De Niro makes this a truly great film.

A-

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 pm
You must have big rats

An extraordinary performance by De Niro paired with a very average film.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

One of the best performances ever. Deniro at his absolute best. That alone makes it worth an A.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Great movie. De Niro is of course spectacular, but I also thought just the beast feeling of the whole thing, from the boxing sceens to the interactions with Pesci, his wife, it's an animal of a film for sure. Transformation at the end has to be one of the most extreme ever, completley unrecognizable except for the mole, I'm guessing De Niro really put on that weight right?

After sleeping on Taxi Driver I've decided that is his best film and his masterpiece, but this is up there.

Taxi Driver - A+
The Departed - A
Raging Bull - A-
Goodfellas - B

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:28 pm
Extraordinary

IMO scorsese's best film and deniro's best performance, this is one of the best films of the 80s.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Just saw the film, and I'm in the overrated camp. Easy to admire, but hard to love. It doesn't help that I personally just hate it when a guy is so insecure and sensitive and could even suspect of his own brother. He is powerful outside but so little inside. I know that's the exact grim reality that Scorsese wanted to portray, but it made me unable to fall in love with the film emotionally and feel any sympathy at all toward the main character. Also I'm not too fond of how the boxing scenes are shot (thought Cinderella Man was more realistic in term of fighting) and the way they cut through each year/fight. DeNiro's performance is definitely first rate though. Overall a B.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I saw Ordinary People tonight, and that definitley deserved to beat this, though I did admire RB quite a lot.

I'm not really upset that Scorsese didn't win until this year. Taxi Driver is a masterpiece, but it never had a chance considering both him missing a director's nomination that year, and the overall subject matter being something the academy would never award. Both Raging Bull and Goodfellas deserved to lose to the movies that beat them. I think The Departed was the perfect choice to finally give it to him, the first that stood as BP type and worthy, though I have yet to see Gangs or Aviator.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:41 am
You must have big rats

Post Re: Raging Bull
I see your grade went down a notch, Shack :)

Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

hard to decide which movie is the greatest of the 80s, this or blue velvet.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:13 pm
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Yeah on second viewing, I got more and more disinterested in the home-life bits. Just kind of repetitive.

I think the direction, cinematography, and De Niro deserve all the credit in the world for this though, it's as finely crafted as any... but that's all I think I'll watch it for in the future, Scorsese and the technicals. In fact even though I gave Ordinary People an A and Raging Bull a B+, I would've given Scorsese the BD split that year, he was good enough.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:57 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Outside of the boxing scenes and DeNiro's acting, everything in this film is just "okay" to me. I was vastly dissapointed. How did AFI rank this at no. 4? This isn't even Marty's Top 5!

B

I agree. Very very overrated, this is. Except for De Niro's turn.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Not even in my top 100..

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Scorsese's best film. I can't remember the last time a film has let you get such a graphic view of a messed up person without relying on blood and gore to do so. This and There Will Be Blood and Taxi Driver are probably the three best movies ever made about anger. This is the best of the '80s as far as I'm concerned. Where other people here seemed to be bored with the family-life scenes, I was completely engaged. The way these characters interact is so real and intense at the same time that it explains to me why this has stayed in my memory for so long after watching it.

A+

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Scorsese's best that I've seen. Although I dont think he's one of the all-time great filmmakers like many think. He's great, but just not a favorite of mine.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:04 pm
loyalfromlondon

It impressed me, but didn't connect with me. Something felt off about the whole thing, and, as a result, it didn't feel nearly as brilliant as Taxi Driver. Whereas I loved the earlier film for its subtlety and ambiguities and general artfulness, this just felt blunt and flat and heavy-handed, as if La Motta himself was hammering home its message with all his anger and ferocity. I had the same problem I had with GoodFellas - characters that didn't interest or involve me, and thus I was disengaged with the film as a whole.

Still, the boxing scenes are impossibly brilliant, and the performances are good, if not great. De Niro was impressive, but when compared to his performance in Taxi Driver, there's no comparison. It's easy to see why he won the Oscar for this one, though.

I guess I'll join the overrated crowd, even if I still liked it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 pm