Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Meet Joe Black 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Meet Joe Black 
College Boy Z

Post Meet Joe Black
Meet Joe Black

Quote:
Meet Joe Black is a 1998 American romantic drama/fantasy film produced by Universal Studios, directed by Martin Brest and starring Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins and Claire Forlani, loosely based on the 1934 film Death Takes a Holiday (originally by Paramount Pictures, but now owned by Universal through EMKA, Ltd.). It was the second pairing of Hopkins and Pitt after their 1994 film Legends Of The Fall.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:53 pm
Squee

One of my most guiltiest of pleasures. I don't usually take to romance dramas, but this one really struck me. I just found the entire premise intriguing. Very good moviel. It definitely surprised me when I, for some reason, started watching it while flipping through the channels.

***1/2

:glare:

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:12 am
We had our time together

One of my biggest guilty pleasures too. It's one of the few 3 hours movie where I really don't feel the time. I'll always try to catch it when it's on TV. Strong A-

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Some nice moments but boy does it draaaaaaaaag...

C

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I love this film. Just like with Riggs and Squee above, it just hit all the right notes with me. Despite its running time of full three hours, it always goes by very fast, in my opinion. Brad Pitt delivers a great, mostly subdued performance and Anthony Hopkins can be seen in one of his best non-Lecter performances here. Something just felt very much on spot in this one. I'm not sure why there are so many people who dislike this film. I thought it was a very well-told story, not too fast, not too slow. It was moving, well-acted and the final scenes always close to tears (as one of the very very few films). An all-around successful film. It deserved much more box-office and overall attention it got.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:24 am
Profile WWW
Squee

A

I love this film. Just like with Riggs and Squee above, it just hit all the right notes with me. Despite its running time of full three hours, it always goes by very fast, in my opinion. Brad Pitt delivers a great, mostly subdued performance and Anthony Hopkins can be seen in one of his best non-Lecter performances here. Something just felt very much on spot in this one. I'm not sure why there are so many people who dislike this film. I thought it was a very well-told story, not too fast, not too slow. It was moving, well-acted and the final scenes always close to tears (as one of the very very few films). An all-around successful film. It deserved much more box-office and overall attention it got.

My favorite scene would probably be when Death was talking to the old dying jamaican woman. It was touching to see Death's human side. If I were to go on a DVD buying spree, I'd get this movie.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:29 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A

My favorite scene would probably be when Death was talking to the old dying jamaican woman. It was touching to see Death's human side. If I were to go on a DVD buying spree, I'd get this movie.

Great scene. Another one of course is the bridge scene at the end with

"William Parrish: Should I be afraid?
Joe Black: Not a man like you. "

A completely different kind of a scene, but still greatly enjoyable is Black presenting himself as the IRS agent at the end of the film, hehe.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:34 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Fuck it, Im going to have to buy this. I've put it off far too long!!

If I buy it... that would be Brad Pitt movie #6. (Snatch, Interview With a Vampire, Seven, Kalifornia, Fight Club, Meet Joe Black)

If Im not careful, people are going to think that I have a thing for Brad Pitt. :unsure:

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 am
You must have big rats

Now that you say it...I think I should purchase it as well. Haven't seen it for at least two years now.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:38 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I think its a pretty good, yet slow movie. I actually like the slowness. It also has a beautiful Thomas Newman score. The "Someone Else" track is possibly one of my favorite pieces from a movie in the last 10-15 years.

Last edited by Caius on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

The peanut butter scene is one of my faves. I love this film.

9.5/10

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Wow, I just watched this again today on dvd and this thread is conveniently here. Great movie that felt more like an hour and a half than three hours. B+.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Just watched it last night, and I watched it again today. Its such a good movie. I love it so much. Brad Pitt does such a great job and Hopkins is great also. A without a doubt.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: Meet Joe Black
This has become quietly one of my all-time favorites. It's just such a wonderful movie. From the amazing scene in the dinner to the perfect finale. Pitt nails both parts, Forlani is beautiful and makes it easy to believe death could fall in love with her, the chemistry between those too is something I haven't seen very often in other movies. The entire cast works just really well. Oh and I love the score. Just can't find anything I disliked about Joe Black.

A+

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Riggs wrote:
This has become quietly one of my all-time favorites. It's just such a wonderful movie. From the amazing scene in the dinner to the perfect finale. Pitt nails both parts, Forlani is beautiful and makes it easy to believe death could fall in love with her, the chemistry between those too is something I haven't seen very often in other movies. The entire cast works just really well. Oh and I love the score. Just can't find anything I disliked about Joe Black.

A+

Though I wouldn't go that high, I defiitely love it too and I don't understand why so many people despise this film (I know a lot who hate it).

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I love films that are so bad, they're good, and this may be the best bad movie I've ever seen. Because there is a ton of it that is awful, but yet it all works. Meet Joe Black runs at an absurd three hours. There is no reason whatsoever for it to be that long, but yet... it works. I don't know how this one slipped past the studio and didn't get cut down to two hours at the most. Then again, if it was two hours, it would likely just be awful. Instead it goes an hour beyond that and maybe is saved because of it. I can't explain that at all.

And one can argue that the film shouldn't be edited anywhere, but certain scenes and moments linger far too long. The scene that went viral a few months ago where Brad Pitt and Claire Forlani's characters walk their separate ways and look back at each other about 36 times is a prime example. The scene where Anthony Hopkins tries to explain who "Joe Black" is goes way too long. The ending could have been half as long.

And yet... it works.

The story is fairly intriguing and developed well at least, however it's typically Hollywood that Death would look like Brad Pitt. Or that Death would assume the body of the person that just so happened to strike up an enchanting conversation with the main character's daughter.

And yet...

I'm anxious to watch it again down the road. I couldn't imagine being that captivated by a film clocking in at three hours but here it is, a perfectly enjoyable yet overripe movie, bolstered by a few solid (though never award-worthy*) performances.

*I say this because I have to imagine Meet Joe Black was made with the intent of being an Oscar movie

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]