Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 MOD's Top 100. xiayun Pg. 27. 
Extraordinary

Post MOD's Top 100. xiayun Pg. 27.
::MOD Top 100 Lists::
dolcevita: Pg. 4
torrino: Pg. 6
Zinglaing: Pg. 12
Libs: Pg. 16
Pinkpanther: Pg. 19
Lovemerox: Pg. 22
MikeQ: Pg.23
makeshift: Pg. 25
xiayun: Pg. 27

Hey, this is a bit of a coupling of two threads. bABA's top ten avatar (cooler) and Appy's DVD collection (dvd). I'm not too too too inventice today. I'm going to post ten movies a time of my top 100 (recap at end) so that people can make fun of my crummy tastes. 8)

some of these movies suck, but I love and have watched over a dozen times. Some of these movies were superb, but I only watched once because the content was so heavy. Most of them, fall somewhere in the middle.

In no particular order the first ten are:

The Conversation (1974)
Black Cat, White Cat (1998/Serbo-Croatian)
Clue (1985)
Shanghai Triad (1995/China)
Dead Man (1995)
The Thin Blue Line (1988)
Batman Returns (1992)
The Nights of Cabiria (1957/Italy)
The Double Life of Veronique (1991/France-Poland)
Chicago (2002)

10 More to come a little later. :wink:

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon May 09, 2005 11:59 am, edited 14 times in total.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:54 pm
College Boy Z

Yay! The only one I heard of here was Batman! :lol:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:56 pm
Extraordinary

Best...Villainess...Ever.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:03 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

batman returns ... tsk tsk .. what a god awful movie

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Post Re: LDV's Top 100. Bash as you wish.
dolcevita wrote:
people can make fun of my crummy tastes. 8)

An INVITATION TO BE MEAN! WOOHOO!

Quote:
The Conversation (1974)

Good.

Quote:

Never seen nor heard of.

Quote:
Clue (1985)

An underrated masterpiece...

"...I hated her... sooo much it it it... it flames... flames... flames on the side of my face... breath... heaving breaths...."

Quote:
Dead Man (1995)

I loathe Dead Man, but so many people love it :?

Quote:

Excellent

Quote:
Batman Returns (1992)

The best of the Batmans, I love Michelle P. in this movie.

Quote:

Good good.

Quote:
Chicago (2002)

NO I DISAPPROVE!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Chicago is one of those fun times the first time at the theater then the following times you are trying to figure out how to crawl inside the TV and strangle everone ;)

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

So says the person who loves Big Fish, The Ladykillers, and the toilet paper that is the Batman Begins script ;) :)

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Zingy? You never heard of Chicago???? Hey Coaster, apparently you've heard of Clue. What did you think/ is it not the funniest? I know it word for word, I'm pretty sure its coming up in my sig very shortly.

bABA? WTF? I thought you loved Batman? What didn't you like about returns? i thought it was the best of the four so far? The villains were more ambiguous, there were more of them, and i still think Keaton is the best batman to date. I liked the first one alot, and there will never be a better villain than Joker, but in the second they flesh it out. instead of just having one good guy and one bad guy, there is an entire range of people with different motives including Walken (yep, i consider him one of the villains) Penguin (whose ultimate plan only comes through very late in the film) and Catwoman (who isn't a bad guy per se, but is operating, as she put it, on her own agenda). Great stuff.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:09 pm
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

So says the person who loves Big Fish, The Ladykillers, and the toilet paper that is the Batman Begins script ;) :)

yes .. at the end of the day, its all our own opinions ....

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingy? You never heard of Chicago???? Hey Coaster, apparently you've heard of Clue. What did you think/ is it not the funniest? I know it word for word, I'm pretty sure its coming up in my sig very shortly.

bABA? WTF? I thought you loved Batman? What didn't you like about returns? i thought it was the best of the four so far? The villains were more ambiguous, there were more of them, and i still think Keaton is the best batman to date. I liked the first one alot, and there will never be a better villain than Joker, but in the second they flesh it out. instead of just having one good guy and one bad guy, there is an entire range of people with different motives including Walken (yep, i consider him one of the villains) Penguin (whose ultimate plan only comes through very late in the film) and Catwoman (who isn't a bad guy per se, but is operating, as she put it, on her own agenda). Great stuff.

Whoops, sorry. Yeah, I've heard of Chicago. :lol:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:11 pm
Lord of filth

I've decided your opinions don't matter anymore, sorry :oops: :( :cry:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

andaroo wrote:
dolcevita wrote:
people can make fun of my crummy tastes. 8)

An INVITATION TO BE MEAN! WOOHOO!

Quote:
The Conversation (1974)

Good.

Quote:

Never seen nor heard of.

Quote:
Clue (1985)

An underrated masterpiece...

"...I hated her... sooo much it it it... it flames... flames... flames on the side of my face... breath... heaving breaths...."

Quote:
Dead Man (1995)

I loathe Dead Man, but so many people love it :?

Quote:

Excellent

Quote:
Batman Returns (1992)

The best of the Batmans, I love Michelle P. in this movie.

Quote:

Good good.

Quote:
Chicago (2002)

NO I DISAPPROVE!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Chicago is one of those fun times the first time at the theater then the following times you are trying to figure out how to crawl inside the TV and strangle everone ;)

andaroo, I would love it if you were mean to me, but something tells me our tastes are pretty similar judging by your replies to my first ten. :wink:

Since we agreed on about 8 of them, I recommend you check out black cat white cat, you'll love it i guarantee it. I've recommended it to so many people, and not once has someone been dissappointed.

Dead Man is tricky. i am going to do an official review of it, but part of why I like it is because of its Blake sources. alot of the visual and language style is actually double layered. The one part I still don't get is the campers and the Philistine part. it very beautiful to look at, and very cerebral a movie. so, I can enjoy it viscerally and mentally, and that's why I like it so much.

Chicago ruled. :x I know i stand alone in this one. but i thought it was great all the way around. nice translation from stage to the screen. Great acting, dancing, fast paced style, nice weaving. second best musical ever. My fave I will post later.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:14 pm
Lord of filth

You and I have had the Jarmucsh (sp?) conversation before, I'm comfortable with your reasons.

I dunno... no amount of symbolism and double meaning will ever get me to sit through those 2+ hours again, it was agony :cry:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

i highly suggest you never try to sit through a Derek Jarmen film. :wink:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm
Commander and Chef

At the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy ...

actually, i do not wish to ... so I'll start with something else.

To be quite honest, people go around raving about Burton's 1989 Batman. I saw it. I thought it was terrible. No, the content itself was great .. i thought the storyline was also good. I just thought (**waits for bashing**) that Burton did an absolutely horrible job directing it!! The movie had no proper flow, characterized by uncomfortable silent moments, the joker was horribly played (hes suppose to be grim yet lively!!) .. filled with cheesy moments (Bat-Wing against the moon somebody?) .. I also thought Kim Bassenger was horrible!

**Fanboy kiks in**
What frustrated me was adaptation too. Some parts of it, spot on .. ery well adapted and then sometimes, horrible, just horrible)

Then we come to batman returns.

A much improved version but here is where I thought the downfall for the abtman movies would start. The focus switched to villains ... less on batman himself. Penguin was terrible and the only saving grace in terms of performance (even though shes not really suppose to be like this) was Catwoman.

I mainly dont like batman returns because it created the whole over the top situations, more along the line of the adam west versions ....

I'm almost ashamed to say it but i enjoyed kilmer as batman .... while i thought he played the character well (and I even thought he looked it), Schumacher destroyed everything by completely focussing on the villains) Jim Carrey was great but that aint no riddler.

Batman and Robin ... don't even talk about it

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

I've decided your opinions don't matter anymore, sorry :oops: :( :cry:

well that became evident a long time ago, didn't it : )

Its all good. In some ways, I do consider Batman Returns to be the best of the 4 (haven't seen the 1966 one). then again, I don't think much of any of them so its not really much of a compliment

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:46 pm
College Boy T

Clue
Dead Man
Batman Returns
Chicago
The Conversation

I wasn't wild about Batman Returns or Chicago

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:48 pm
Extraordinary

@ BTTF - Uh-huh. Why has the entire world not seen this movie? I mean, its gotta be good if it was based off a boardgame right? RIGHT? Whatever. "I'm going to go home now...and sleep with my wife." :lol:

@ Torrino - Wasn't The Conversation really unsettling?

Again, #s 11-20 in no particular order:

All the President's Men (1976)
Ran (1985/Japan)
Better off Dead (1985)
My Twentieth Century (1989/Hungary)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966/Italy)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
The Red Balloon (1956/France)
Dead Again (1991)
The Bad Seed (1956)

Fire Away - :arrow:

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:20 pm
College Boy Z

I hate your list.

*Bashing Mode Ends*

Anyways... from your second list, I've seen Star Wars. :wink:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:24 pm
Draughty

dolcevita wrote:
Hey, this is a bit of a coupling of two threads. bABA's top ten avatar (cooler) and Appy's DVD collection (dvd). I'm not too too too inventice today. I'm going to post ten movies a time of my top 100 (recap at end) so that people can make fun of my crummy tastes. 8)

some of these movies suck, but I love and have watched over a dozen times. Some of these movies were superb, but I only watched once because the content was so heavy. Most of them, fall somewhere in the middle.

In no particular order the first ten are:

The Conversation (1974)
Clue (1985)
Dead Man (1995)
Batman Returns (1992)
Chicago (2002)

10 More to come a little later. :wink:

Could you clarify...you say they are your top movies yet you think some of them suck?

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

*Bashing Mode*

I hate your list.

*Bashing Mode Ends*

Anyways... from your second list, I've seen Star Wars. :wink:

Do you like 80's teen movies? John Cusack at his finest in Better off Dead. Check it out.

I think you'll like Dead Again also. Its about this cop played by Branagh who takes on responsibility for a woman who has lost her memory and voice (Emma Thompson). Antways, a psychiatrist tries to help them by putting her under a trance to take her back to her childhood (in order to discover what incident made her lose her voice and memory, etc) and he accidentally takes her back to a previous life where she might have been the murdered wife of a famous pianist and composer. Only the twist is that the composer looks like Branagh, so they put him under too, and he remembers that past life also. Very good movie. I think you'll like it too.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:29 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I fell asleep in class when our french teacher made us watch this movie. Boring as hell and whats the big deal with the kids chasing the kid with the red balloon and popping it.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:30 pm
Extraordinary

Archie Gates wrote:
dolcevita wrote:

Could you clarify...you say they are your top movies yet you think some of them suck?

:lol: Heh. I meant that most people would think they suck, and even I can't defend them as far as quality of direction or necessarily plot, but I love them anyways. Others may not. Just a thought that came up in another thread when BJ gave Dude Where's My Car an F or D or something and I think its a great movie that I've seen three times already. lol.

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:31 pm
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

I fell asleep in class when our french teacher made us watch this movie. Boring as hell and whats the big deal with the kids chasing the kid with the red balloon and popping it.

You fell asleep in a 34 min. movie? Bwahahahaha!
I thought it was a great exploration of a little kids adventures one day in the streets of paris. I like that the balloon didn't talk, but hovered around him all day and waited for him until he got out of class. I liked when it fell in love with the blue balloon the girl was carrying. It was the most animate inanimate object in cinema history. I used to watch it when I was a little kid and convince myself the balloon was alive. Icried at the end a coulple times (so sue me...I was 8 ).

I think the kids try to get his balloon cause they're jealous. :x

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 736 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next