Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Snakes on a Plane 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 21 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 15 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Snakes on a Plane 
Sbil

Post Snakes on a Plane
Snakes on a Plane

Quote:
Snakes on a Plane is a 2006 American action and horror film directed by David R. Ellis and starring Samuel L. Jackson. It was released by New Line Cinema on August 18, 2006 in North America. The film was written by David Dalessandro, John Heffernan, and Sheldon Turner and follows the events of hundreds of snakes being released on a passenger plane in an attempt to kill a trial witness.

The film gained a considerable amount of attention before its release, forming large fanbases online and becoming an Internet phenomenon, due to the film's title, casting, and premise. In response to the Internet fan base, New Line Cinema incorporated feedback from online users into its production, and added five days of reshooting. Before and after the film was released, it was parodied and alluded to on television shows and films, fan-made videos, video games, and various forms of literature.

Released in the United States and United Kingdom on August 18, 2006, the film received mixed to positive reviews with 69% of reviews positive and an average normalized score of 58%, according to the review aggregator websites Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, respectively. Despite the immense Internet buzz, the film's gross revenue did not live up to expectations, earning US$15.25 million in its opening weekend. The film grossed US$62 million worldwide before its release on home video on January 2, 2007.

Last edited by Libs on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I'm so not sure what grade to give this film. Easily lived up to all of my anticipation and more. Hillarious, cheesy, and actually not a bad thriller either. Well made, great entertainment. Definately very re-watchable as well.

It is definately an A-, could be even a bit higher.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 am
College Boy Z

Spoiler: show
...the snake biting the chick's breast and the guy's penis...

...makes the film worthy of an A, even without the rest of the film. The whole film's just a blast. IT NEVER STOPS. All scenes with Samuel L. Jackson and Kenan Thompson are GOLD. I've been anticipating this one for quite a while, and it lived up to all expectations I had, and then some. It'll have you rolling in the aisles half the time and just ready to jump in the air and say "KILL DAT MUTHA FUCKIN' SNAKE." It's crazy. Loved it.

A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:59 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I've settled on an A...and I walked in expecting to give it a D

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 am
Orphan

Very fun movie (the best "fun" movie of the year) and surprisingly well-acted for what it was. The kills are priceless and the wry humor is well-placed, making it evident that David R. Ellis directed the film as both Cellular and FD2 had similar dark humor.

Grade - A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:33 am
College Boy Z

BTW, since I mentioned it, who was the girl in that scene? Looked familiar, but I'm not sure.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:47 am
Orphan

BTW, since I mentioned it, who was the girl in that scene? Looked familiar, but I'm not sure.

She looked like one of the girls from Final Destination 3 who got burned in the tanning bed.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:49 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I'm curious to know, but is there a chance that some of you will be afraid to say this movie sucks for as hyped as you made yourselves out over this and are sort of predisposed into saying you actually enjoyed this out of denial?? You know what I'm saying?? In other words, now that you've seen this and the whole Jackson trademark line has been said and hyped from months on, will your view of this change a week from now when the fanboy internet hype dies over this??? :-k

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:38 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

"I might just be the greatest motion picture ever made. It's that good!"

Well, that may be a hyperbole, but it is damn worth the time out of your day to see it. The movie is unrelentless. You see something happening before it happens and think "they can't possibly do that on film". And they do. It is a pretty gratuitous film, but were you expecting anything else? Surprisingly well-made. The CGI snakes weren't bad at all. Ellis does a very good job of building the tension and atmosphere in every scene throughout the entire movie. I was worried that the idea would get stale after the first 20 minutes on the plane, but in hindsight I can see that the screenwriter and the director could have taken it farther than they did, if they wanted/needed to.

I figured I'd enjoy it but not actually like it. Boy was I wrong. I'd definitely like to see it again, and recmmend everyone else to do so (unless you know for sure this isn't your type of movie).

B+

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:47 am
Teenage Dream

I'd give the experience of seeing it with one of the most excited crowds I've ever seen for a film **** stars.

The actual film, though... it's great for about an hour, and then it just kind of starts to drag. ** stars.

So, I'll give it ***, but a lot of the enjoyment this film has to offer depends on the audience you see it with.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Interesting...

I'd give the experience of seeing it with one of the most excited crowds I've ever seen for a film **** stars.

The actual film, though... it's great for about an hour, and then it just kind of starts to drag. ** stars.

So, I'll give it ***, but a lot of the enjoyment this film has to offer depends on the audience you see it with.

So in other words, if you go and the theatre happens to be 1/2 empty, you'll probably be disappointed, Unless your drunk I guess.. It's a shame that in order to really enjoy this movie, you have to be intoxicated or with a bunch of people.. I'll pass..

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
Interesting...

So in other words, if you go and the theatre happens to be 1/2 empty, you'll probably be disappointed, Unless your drunk I guess.. It's a shame that in order to really enjoy this movie, you have to be intoxicated or with a bunch of people.. I'll pass..

Not necessarily. Granted, having a super excited audience will definitely enhance the experience tenfold, but the film is genuine fun for about the first hour or so. It just loses a lot of steam really quickly.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:39 pm
College Boy Z

BKB, it is possible that people, like myself, just loved it a lot more than we expected to. Did I hope to like it? Yeah, but I didn't think I'd be giving it an A.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:08 pm
Orphan

BKB, it is possible that people, like myself, just loved it a lot more than we expected to. Did I hope to like it? Yeah, but I didn't think I'd be giving it an A.

BKB has already decided he's going to hate it. Nothing we say will change that. Don't worry though. He liked AvP after all and that was a watered-down PG-13 affair.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:07 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Actually BKB I went in, already having planned the opening lines to my review to trash the film. I was expecting to give it a D to be honest. Sure, it looked fun but I still expected to hate it. And I left loving it. I'm going to see it again this weekend.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:22 pm
Sbil

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:49 pm
Orphan

Question. Is the movie very gory?

Not really, no. Some yes, but not nearly as much as you might expect, likely because it was originally planned as a PG-13 film.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:04 pm
Extraordinary

I have a question for y'all. Are you guys all on crack?

Where's Kremmy? I'm not going to trust anyone else on this one. :nonono:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:43 pm
Superfreak

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:47 pm
Teenage Dream

It's not gory, but it's gross. If that makes sense.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:48 pm
Teenage Dream

I have a question for y'all. Are you guys all on crack?

No, but the snakes were.

Seriously.

:hahaha:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:49 pm
College Boy Z

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

It's got it's share of disgusting images, but the gore doesn't overrun the dramatic tension at all.

Finally, after several disappointments this year (Superman Returns, Dead Man's Chest, etc...), a movie finally delivers an intense packed hour and a half of chills and thrills galore!

From the minute that I saw the german shepherd on the plane, I tensed up. My mind started racing toward the dogs destiny, and I couldn't help but think about my baby at home. :sad:

The movie does a great job of introducing the various passengers, who are developed enough to make them matter. A few familar faces, like a SNL cast member and that Jazz lovin' guy from Jerry MaGuire, but there was only one real "star" of note. Samuel L. Jackson (the bad motherf***er himself!), carries the screen with a presence, and I think he may have a future in movies. The rest of the cast is capable, though, and the male flight attendant reminded me a great deal of Jim Carrey.

The snakes are creepy and scary. Some of you that have known me for a long time probably know that movies don't make me jump. It is so rare for me to get that kind of reaction that I can't even recall what movie last did that to me. There were TWO times in Snakes that startled me. TWO!!!

It had a satisfying resolution, and a killer tenseness and pace throughout. This is what summer movies are all about, a great ride!

A-

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:53 pm
Teenage Dream

"Oh, great... Snakes on crack."

That line induced maybe fourty five seconds of straight applause and cheering at my theater.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 pm
Mod Team Leader

The most fun I've had at the movies in ages. This movie is muthafuckin awesome and I will be seeing it again. SLJ is in peak form and there is a great mix of humour and gore and scares. Loved it.

Snakes on crack...brilliant. :hahaha:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next