Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Pulse (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
D 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Pulse (2006) 
Sbil

Post Pulse (2006)
Pulse

Quote:
Pulse is an 2006 American horror film and remake of the Japanese horror film, Kairo; Pulse is written by Wes Craven and Ray Wright, and directed by Jim Sonzero. The film stars Kristen Bell, Ian Somerhalder, Christina Milian and a cameo by Oscar-nominee and veteran cult horror actor Brad Dourif.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:04 pm
Indiana Jones IV

C-...It had its moments, but I really hated the ending and basically the story just did not attract me.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Somewhat creepy at certain points (Christina Milian's laundry scene comes to mind), but the whole movie just falls sort of flat. Nothing makes any sense, the ending is horrible, and it's a rather unattractive film to watch because of the odd lighting and cinematography. Almost none of Kristen Bell's immense charm and charisma displayed on Veronica Mars shows in her part as Mattie, No one else from the cast, including Ian Somerhalder and Christina Milian, makes much of an impression. Overall, Pulse contains some decent shocks and jumps but just never catches fire. C-

Last edited by Libs on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:53 pm
Teenage Dream

An incomprehensible mess. It feels like it was edited together with a pair of rusty scissors and some scotch tape. Continuity issues abound (peoples outfits change without notice, Kristen Bell's hair length fluctuates throughout the film), probably due to the massive amounts of reshoots done on the project. It's terribly over-directed, with lots of hamfisted cuts, ugly lighting, and ridiculous camera angels.

Besides the fact that the film is a technical mess, it's also not scary in the slightest. The majority of the scares are given away in the trailers and TV spots, and those that aren't are marred by inept direction and shoddy CGI. I'm still waiting for Hollywood to realize that CGI ghosts just aren't scary.

The acting is uniformly abysmal, with some of it drawing unintentional laughs from the audience I saw the film with tonight.

Yeah, one of the worst films of the year so far....

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 am
htm

Wow, didn't think it was that bad. Actually, I rather enjoyed it in a guiltness pleasure sort of way. I do agree that the acting may be some of the worst ever and it certainly wasn't creepy, but I appreciated what they were going for... I guess... or I could have horrible taste.

I think ** out of **** is fair. I'd watch it again on TV.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:24 pm
problem?

Ihavenoideawhathappenedinthisfilm.Iwatchedit,Ipaidattention,butnothingwaseverexplained.Something aboutacomputervirusthatsomehowletsghostsdo..whatever.Ithink?ItwassomethinglikethatbutIthinktheyonly spentliketwolinestryingtoexplainhowthiswashappeningtothemandtherestoftheworld.

Therewasn'tascarypartinthisentiremovie,andtheactingwasjust..hahaha.It'sliketheworstmovieI'veseenall year.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:23 pm
Where will you be?

I actually thought the movie was really terrifying, but I was stoned out of my GOURD so I really don't want to use this viewing to give it a rating. By the way, did that one friend that found the Mexican dude live? Or did I miss him getting killed? It was kinda unclear to me whether or not the ghost outside his door with only a mouth for a face killed him or not...

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:45 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm seeing this tomorrow, and I'm scared out of my mind to like it. :fear: If I like it, I think I'll keep quiet about it.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:51 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I actually thought the movie was really terrifying, but I was stoned out of my GOURD so I really don't want to use this viewing to give it a rating. By the way, did that one friend that found the Mexican dude live? Or did I miss him getting killed? It was kinda unclear to me whether or not the ghost outside his door with only a mouth for a face killed him or not...

He's not Mexican and the guy who found him dies -- he runs out of red tape when he's taping up his door and when he looks through the peep hole, he sees the ghost. A new scene starts right after that if I remember correctly, but Mattie later on sees him on the computer screen in the "Do you want to see a ghost" link -- and all the people shown there are dead.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

"I don't know."

Exactly. What the hell happened? And more importantly... what the hell happened?

In all seriously, it's not a complete mess. Mainly, it's a mess. But there's a scare or two, and it's got Kristen Bell (minus the charm we know and love on "Veronica Mars"). That ain't so bad.

Grade: C-

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:46 pm
College Boy Z

Disappointing. A few decent scares, but nothing in the film is explained, really, just leaving you with a "meh" feeling as you walk out the door. It's not terrible, but nothing worthy of praise either.

C-

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 am
Teh Mexican

feel the same way as everyone but i enjoyade a bit more. Creepy at parts but meh. I really didnt have a big problem with the ending.

C+

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 pm
htm

It was bad... but not THAT bad... was it? Am I that out of touch?

This was no Wicker Man.

:tongue:

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm
We had our time together

Kristen Bell was really beautiful in this one, but the rest sucked. C-

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Bleh was a mess of a movie. Why does everything look like the hangout of a Heroin junkie? An some of the computer speech was painful to listen to. "He collects viruses, its a power trip" what idiot wrote that line. I know something is up when I don't like a movie with an end of the world theme to it.

D

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:21 am
loyalfromlondon

Pretty much a terrible movie. Really had no story, as nothing was explained or even brought up, and the acting was uniformly terrible. Not scary in the slightest, and constantly tries to come off as mix of The Ring and White Noise, so there's nothing new here. I'll give it points for some occasional cool cinematography (the tower suicide comes to mind) and because Kristen Bell is easy on the eyes. Other than that, an utter mess.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:22 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

The only scary thing about this film is that it stars Kristen Bell.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]