Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and... 

What grade would you give this film?
A 89%  89%  [ 24 ]
B 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and... 
College Boy Z

Post Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and...
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Quote:
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (commonly known as Dr. Strangelove) is a 1964 black comedy film directed by Stanley Kubrick, starring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott, and featuring Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens and Tracy Reed. Loosely based on Peter George's Cold War thriller novel Red Alert (aka Two Hours to Doom), Dr. Strangelove satirized the nuclear scare.

The story concerns an unhinged US Air Force general who orders a first strike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, and follows the President of the United States, his advisors, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Royal Air Force (RAF) officer as they try to recall the bombers to prevent a nuclear apocalypse, as well as the crew of one B-52 as they attempt to deliver their payload.

In 1989, the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry. It was listed as number three on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:01 pm
Extraordinary

Read as little as possible about it and just watch Kubrick's must-see black, black, cold war comedy...

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:12 pm
Squee

And I love it.

:glare:

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22 pm
Sbil

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 pm
Superfreak

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 pm
Extraordinary

A classic. Kubrick's best. If the Academy wasn't so biased against comedians, Peter Sellers should have gotten the Oscar for it.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Madoshi

Major Bat Guano.
I told you never to call me here
Gentleman, stop fighting! This is the war room.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

(Approximate)-..one colt .45, four hundred american dollars, two bars chocolate, one pair stockings,.. whew boys, a guy could have a mighty fine time with that on a Saturday night... ( upon checking his survival pack )...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
slim p............

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Heh, I just watched this on my ipod today. I love this movie. I agree that Sellers should have won an Oscar for this. Three different roles and all the three different in style and tone.

Hail, Mein Fuhrer!

Gen. Jack Ripper

You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola Corporation.

He'll see the Big Board!

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:44 am
Forum General

Well there are a lot of dry point but Sellers many performances especially the ending were fall of your chair funny, especially the quote.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Pretty much perfect on almost every level. NEVER grows old. A definite fave.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

A

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:12 am
Extraordinary

General Jack D. Ripper: I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
President Merkin Muffley: General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons.
General "Buck" Turgidson: That's right, sir, you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
President Merkin Muffley: General Turgidson! When you instituted the human reliability tests, you *assured* me there was *no* possibility of such a thing *ever* occurring!
General "Buck" Turgidson: Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

[after learning of the Doomsday Machine]
President Merkin Muffley: This is preposterous. I've never approved of anything like that.
Ambassador de Sadesky: Our source was the New York Times.

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I do deny them my essence.

Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

Dr. Strangelove: Sir! I have a plan!
[standing up from his wheelchair]
Dr. Strangelove: Mein Führer! I can walk!

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:48 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

First great Kubrick movie

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:29 am
Extraordinary

Omni wrote:

Paths of Glory was very good, but I'd agree with Omni that Dr. Strangelove is the first of Kubrik's "Big 3" great movies (Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange). I say Paths goes in with the next tier of Kubrick quality, with The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut...

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:15 pm
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
Omni wrote:

Paths of Glory was very good, but I'd agree with Omni that Dr. Strangelove is the first of Kubrik's "Big 3" great movies (Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange). I say Paths goes in with the next tier of Kubrick quality, with The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut...

The Killing was the first great Kubrick movie for me.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

bradley witherberry wrote:
yoshue wrote:
Omni wrote:

The Killing was the first great Kubrick movie for me.
I liked it, but I don't think it's one of his masterpieces. :smile: I watched it only once, and it was years ago so I don't remember it well, but I remember the ending disappointed me, I didn't find it plausible. Except that, the whole movie looked solid to me, but nothing more (I gave it a B+).

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:16 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Dr. Strangelove
Peter Sellers' incredible comedic talents combined with Stanley Kubrick's fantastic vision. Could there be a better combination for a black comedy? Sellers is a tour de force in his triple performance and definitely deserved the Oscar; George C. Scott is just as hilarious with his crazed general that's one of the few impressive overacting performances. The unscripted part where he falls down and keeps on going... brilliant. The satire is razor sharp and the straight comedy is just as good. Simply one of the greatest comedies ever made.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:36 am
Devil's Advocate

A+

Dunno why I haven't graded this yet

It's one of the best. It's clear that Kubrick was on top of every millisecond and every shot of this film, there isn't a scene in the entire film that isn't perfectly shot and constructed.

The screenplay is among the best ever, Sellers and Scott are perfect.

It's creeping on my top 20

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 pm
ha ha, charade you are

I saw this for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I definitely liked it after the 1st viewing. However, after thinking more about the movie and after watching it a 2nd time I liked it even more. I watched it with someone who lived through the cold war and told me experiences he had and what he knew that was going on at the time. I thought it was interesting that the government investigated Kubrick and the film company about possible leaks they may have received for their incredible portrayal of what the insides of the airplane bomber looked like and how they would receive/operate within the potential nuclear attack scenario.

Obviously Peter Sellers was great. I liked how George C. Scott acted as well. The multiple sexual metaphors and innuendos were great. Perfect ending.

I still think this movie is very applicable today because of the potential for nuclear attacks. We generally aren't as concerned as we once were because of the fall of the USSR, but the weapons still exist. And if they were ever used, the joke would be on us.

A

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Amazing movie, nothing else has to or should be said.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri May 01, 2009 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Anybody who dislikes this film needs to be...................told they are wrong.

One of the best repudiations of M.A.D. you will ever see.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:22 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Amazing film. Peter Sellers gives one of the great performances of all time. My favorite Kubrick film.

I used to be shawman.

Mon May 18, 2009 11:38 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

This is a wonderful piece from Kubrick. With such wacky comedy and strong acting, you can't help but not have fun with this joyride. It's thrilling from start to finish and its a shame that Kubrick didn't do more in the comedy department. It's one of the best examples of a satire out there and Peter Sellers really shines. One of the best comedies out there. **** (A)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

There is little point in adding to the chorus of supporters, but I suppose I shall nonetheless. The second best film by Stanley Kubrick of those I've seen, trailing only the masterful 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next