Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

College Boy Z

Post Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is a 2006 American comedy film, directed by Adam McKay and starring Will Ferrell. The film also features John C. Reilly, Michael Clarke Duncan, Leslie Bibb, Amy Adams, Gary Cole, Jane Lynch, and Sacha Baron Cohen. Various Saturday Night Live alumni also make appearances.

Racetrack scenes at Texas Motor Speedway were shot at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina, using a Porsche Cayenne outfitted with camera mounts on all four corners of the car.

Last edited by zingy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:59 am
Extraordinary

No grade yet, as I was distraught during the first hour due to a personal issue. Still very funny, and more plot-oriented than Anchorman. Leaning towards a B+.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:29 pm
Superfreak

A.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 am
Cream of the Crop

After last years' Wedding Crashers/40YOV combo, I had pretty much conceded that there was no way any of this summer's comedies could match them. I have been proven wrong on 3 counts: Clerks II, Little Miss Sunshine, and now Talladega Nights. On the whole, it was just as good as Anchorman. I can't decide if it because of Will Ferrell or because of how the characters were written, but Ricky Bobby was not as funny a character as Ron Burgundy. However, the excellent supporting cast (notably Sacha Baron Cohen and Gary Cole) more than made up for it, and were even more entertaining than Burgundy's newsteam.

The last couple of frat pack movies (Super-Ex, Dupree) were not up to par, but Talladega Nights ensures that there will still be many more to come.

A

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It was a good movie. I did not expect to take this movie to serious and thats what I did. I think everything clicked just fine, and it was just a solid movie overall. Will Farrel is amazing. The scene with the knife killed me.B+

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superfreak

yes i luaghed at "use this to pry it out!" for about 5 monites.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:45 am
Indiana Jones IV

yes i luaghed at "use this to pry it out!" for about 5 monites.

Hahahahahaha! "Ricky dont stick that in your leg"...Oh my gosh!! and then hes jumping around, and then hes like..hey i can walk...AHHHH!!! get another knife..pry it out. So funny.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
Kypade

talladega stupid, the ballad of ricky stupid is mre like it.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:18 am
je vois l'avenir

it was funny. But not as good as Anchorman. But many after more viewings it will get better.

still a B+

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:44 am
Devil's Advocate

Hilarious, it lived up to expectations. Will Ferrell was starting to lose my love in his last couple movies with Bewitched and Kicking and Screaming, but this makes up for it, I can safely say that the real Will Ferrell is finally back. Supporting cast was all great, John C. Reilly as always is a hoot, Amy Adams did a fine job in her little screen time, and everyone else I don't know the names of were all great as well. The movie was also upbeat for most of the time, endlessly entertaining, which is exactly what I wanted in it. And the slightly sentimental moments were handled very well, never hitting you over the head with it, never trending into sappiness, the main mission was to keep the laughs up the entire way through and that's exactly what it did.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:46 am
Killing With Kindness

A+

My 2nd favorite comedy of all time, only topped by the first Ace Ventura, this is pure classic had me floored the whole time.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:26 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This is a Fucking Hilarious Film!, It had me laughing the whole time, IMO Talledega was on Ace Ventura levels of Awsomeness. Will Ferrell's best film Hands Down.

A

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:29 am
Superfreak

big mike duncan is great, gary cole as "reese bobbeh" shines as does leslie bibb as carly.

"ive been salving for hours"-dominos and mcdonalds HAHAHAHA

iim threatened to move it down to b though do lack of cameos-wheres the wilsons? ben stiller? JACK BLACK! HE WAS THE FUNNIEST PART OF ANCHORMAN WTF! though nice to see a champ cameo though.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:34 am
Mod Team Leader

Quite terrible. Maybe not my kind of humour. But I found it to be quite boring, quite unfunny, quite silly and quite the disappointment. The last 15 minutes were pretty decent and ye, Gary Cole was good and so was the French dude. But still, I just don't think Ferrel is that funny.

5.5/10

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Not as good as the 40 Year Old Virgin but definately a whole lot better than Wedding Crasher(that was vastly overated) and a few degrees better than the Anchorman. Judd Apatow crafts a wonderful script full of laughs,wonderful characters and was nicely written. I really like John C Reilly's Cal Noughton character and his "Shake and Bake" line and Sascha Baron Cohen as the french driver, they do a better job than Will Ferrall. Theres alot of monster rock humor and hick humor so maybe a few people get it but I laughed at most of them. The best part of the film was Ricky Bobby's scene at the clinic having his knife pryed out with another knife and the commercial endorsements from Ricky and Cal but the most sentimental and charming scenes are with Ricky Bobby and his parents after he fell from grace

B+

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:02 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

big mike duncan is great, gary cole as "reese bobbeh" shines as does leslie bibb as carly.

"ive been salving for hours"-dominos and mcdonalds HAHAHAHA

iim threatened to move it down to b though do lack of cameos-wheres the wilsons? ben stiller? JACK BLACK! HE WAS THE FUNNIEST PART OF ANCHORMAN WTF! though nice to see a champ cameo though.

Cal Noughtons comment about picturing Jesus in a white tux and the whole saying grace thing on the table was one of the best highlights

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Not as good as the 40 Year Old Virgin but definately a whole lot better than Wedding Crasher(that was vastly overated) and a few degrees better than the Anchorman. Judd Apatow crafts a wonderful script full of laughs,wonderful characters and was nicely written. I really like John C Reilly's Cal Noughton character and his "Shake and Bake" line and Sascha Baron Cohen as the french driver, they do a better job than Will Ferrall. Theres alot of monster rock humor and hick humor so maybe a few people get it but I laughed at most of them. The best part of the film was Ricky Bobby's scene at the clinic having his knife pryed out with another knife and the commercial endorsements from Ricky and Cal but the most sentimental and charming scenes are with Ricky Bobby and his parents after he fell from grace

B+

Ohhhhh, so that's who that was. Great job by him by the way, considering he isn't a french man or anything near it, he made it seem believable.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:12 pm
Cream of the Crop

One thing I loved about this movie that I didn't mention earlier was how well it used "anti-cliche" jokes: Those dramatic cliche moments that are then turned around to be the opposite of what is expected. Those types of jokes are now used so often that most of them are stale and predictable, so I was pleasantly surprised at how many of them actually worked for me. To name a few: The 26 mph test lap, Ricky's dad scalping the tickets, and the "longest car crash in NASCAR history". I'm glad they were able to freshen up a classic comedy formula.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, surprise! I laughed so hard through most of this movie that tears were streaming down my face on a couple of occasions.

Admittedly, the last third could have been tightened up a hair, but nonetheless, an honorable addition to the Will Ferrell oeuvre...

5 out of 5.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:37 pm
Superfreak

what puts this ahead of anchorman is it isnt just feril doing th laughs. in anchorman it was all ferril with CHAMP and brick having some good jokes and Fantana just kinda playing off them to make it funnier, and obvi jack black but the rest was just will ferrill cause that movie has SO many qouteable lines. in this one you have the gay glenn guy is always a riot, the french driver, john c reilly, the kids, reese bobby, big mike duncan, the owners wife, susan, and then you get to will ferrill who is hilarious as always.

that said i wish it had more qoutable lines. anchorman had 100's, but i cant think of too many form talladega.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:34 pm
College Boy Z

Really funny, but not as funny as Anchorman, so I was a tad disappointed. Will Ferrell's a blast as always, though, and John C. Reilly and Sascha Baron Cohen make it even better.

B+

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:20 pm
I'm Batman

If you come in looking for any bit of a story, good acting, or good directing you will obviously leave disappointed. It is a stupid comedy with little substance. However, I'm a huge Will Ferrell fan. The knife scene had me in stitches. As did the baby Jesus scene. It gets some good laughs while also having a couple of bombs. Nowhere near Anchorman but it's still a movie for some decent laughs.

-B

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Quite terrible. Maybe not my kind of humour. But I found it to be quite boring, quite unfunny, quite silly and quite the disappointment. The last 15 minutes were pretty decent and ye, Gary Cole was good and so was the French dude. But still, I just don't think Ferrel is that funny.

5.5/10

Yeah, I guess I was wrong.. I don't get the humor in this either but apparently over 40 Million this weekend says otherwise I suppose..

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Really funny! Does not top Anchorman, but I can't say I expected it to. Will Ferrell is at his A-game here, but he is supported by a strong supporting cast, with fun turns from John C. Reilly, Sascha Baron Cohen, Michael Clarke Duncan, Gary Cole and (despite being horribly underused) Amy Adams. Fun times. B+

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:02 am
Team Kris

Oftentimes I found myself laughing at some jokes for an extended period of time. Shining example is the Applebee's commercial that cut during the "longest crash ever." Oh, and the Baby Jesus bit, with the "mischeevious" thing. :hahaha: The film just slightly loses its stride when Ricky was actually in shambles, after the hospital scenes. Nontheless, I enjoyed this film! No Anchorman but still lots of memorable, random lines ("I thank Baby Jesus that my sons don't talk like retarded gangbangers anymore").

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next