Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Team America: World Police 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 18 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28

College Boy Z

Post Team America: World Police

Quote:
Team America: World Police, often referred to as simply Team America, is a 2004 action comedy film written by Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Pam Brady and directed by Parker, all of whom are also known for the popular animated series South Park. The film is a satire of big-budget action films and their associated clichés and stereotypes, with particular humorous emphasis on the global implications of US politics. The title of the film itself is derived from domestic and international political criticisms that the U.S. frequently and unilaterally tries to "police the world". The film features a cast composed of marionettes. Team America focuses on a fictional team of political paramilitary policemen known as "Team America: World Police", who attempt to save the world from a violent terrorist plot led by Kim Jong-il.

The film was primarily inspired by Thunderbirds, a popular British TV show created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson which also featured an all-marionette cast, though Stone and Parker were not fans of the show. The duo worked on the script with former South Park writer Pam Brady for nearly two years. The film had a troubled time in production, with various problems regarding the marionettes as well as the scheduling extremes of having the film come out in time. In addition, the filmmakers fought with the Motion Picture Association of America, who returned the film over nine times with an NC-17 rating. The film was recut by a few seconds and rated R. This was not unlike the ratings battles for South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

The film was released in the United States on October 15, 2004 and received generally positive reviews. Team America grossed over $51 million worldwide. The film was released on DVD in the United States on May 17, 2005, available in both R-rated and Unrated versions.

Last edited by zingy on Tue May 17, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:09 pm
Teenage Dream

Yeah, Team America surprised me... at how freakin' average it is. I saw it last night, and it is the definition of a one joke movie (we get it, puppets look awkward). There are also several moments in the film where it goes five minutes or so without a single laugh, and that just doesn't work in a movie like this. There are indeed some pretty funny bits (the sex scene brought the house down), but overall it's just not nearly as funny as it should have been. I'm not even going to get into the fact that the worst part of the movie is the message (who cares what happens in the world, just make fun of everything), as that doesn't really have anything to do with one's entertainment taken from it. One funny side effect of this movie (funnier than anything in the movie, actually) is watching both sides of the political spectrum trying to manipulate the films events so that they fit their sides. Um, guys... this a movie that feautres a puppet throwing up for three minutes, who gives a shit who's side it's on?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:20 pm
Squee

Im not one for long reviews. So Ill just say "Second Funniest movie of the year!" and be done with it.

***1/2

:glare:

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:29 pm
College Boy Z

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-TeamAmerica.php

Quote:
What a stupid concept. A movie starring puppets is supposed to sell to the public? The creators of South Park bring us a movie, criticizing the United States government, making fun of certain terrorist organizations and world leaders, and they want to do all this... with puppets. But, it turns out that I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard and so much. I was shocked that for the first time in a movie theater, I fell to the floor, laughing. I didn't feel stupid, for everyone was right down there with me. That is how funny this movie is. Does it stereotype? Yes, but in the funniest way. I never imagined it to be so funny, and it was even funnier that a lot of things in the movie are true.

There's really not much to explain on the plot. It's about a team of elite officers who take on the world's terrorists. But, the rest of the world is against them, saying that they cause more trouble than solve. The main terrorists the movie focuses on are the Islamic, fundamentalist terrorists such as Osama Bin Ladin, and Kim Jong Il, an evil, North Korean dictator. One of the funny parts about this movie is how they just use "jibberish" for the terrorists. Obviously, they don't know how to speak the language, so they just make up words. In the story, the team needs the help of a famous actor, Gary Johnston, to stop the terrorists of the world, using his acting skills. The movie makes a lot of reference to how the real movie stars of the world try to get involved in world issues and try to help. No one is safe in this movie. If your name is mentioned in this movie, you are basically being humiliated. They go from the known terrorists (Bin Ladin, Kim Jong) to the famous movie stars (Alec Baldwin, Samuel L. Jackson, etc.), and even go as far as Michael Moore. All these people are trashed in the movie, and truthfully, Trey Parker does an excellent job of doing it.

Aside from the references to real life things, it's hilarious just to see the puppets. The stars of the movie are freaking puppets, and if you can't enjoy that, you probably will not enjoy the movie. You'll laugh when they walk, you'll laugh when they talk (or sing), you'll laugh when they do anything. I enjoyed how the strings were so visible, for it added the humor to the movie. Also, the music used in this movie is "laugh out loud" hilarious. Some songs, though not appropriate, will have you laughing in the aisles of your theater. Just to show my point, the names of some of the songs are "AIDS", "Pearl Harbor Sucks", "America, F*** Yeah!", and many more entertaining songs.

The one thing about this movie that must be mentioned is the sex scene. That's right, a sex scene in a movie starring puppets. This movie was originally NC-17, and the sex scene had to be edited just to get an R-rating, but don't think that it's not inappropriate. It crosses every line you would expect from movies like American Pie, and then some. It's insanely hilarious how they executed this scene, as well as many other situations in the movie.

Here is my warning to anyone interested in seeing this movie. Do you have young kids, and are you considering taking them to this movie? Well, think no further, because the answer should be no. Though it's a type of movie that is meant for all ages, it's very inappropriate. When I saw this movie, I was shocked to see many kids under the age of 12 sitting in that theater with their parents. If you don't really care what your kids see, that's fine. But, I would think twice before letting anyone under the age of 13 see this movie. Also, I'd like to point out that although it does stereotype the terrorists and a certain kind of people, it's all fun. You should not judge people of a certain religion or someone from a certain country that is portrayed in this movie, because not everyone of a different skin color or from a third-world country is a terrorist.

This was the funniest movie I've seen this year. It is the perfect movie for people who want to laugh, and trust me, you won't stop laughing. There is not a single moment where I wasn't laughing in this movie, and it's really unforgettable. It's definently not for everyone, though. If you're thinking that this movie looks bad, or looks stupid, go with your instincts. Not everyone can enjoy a movie starring puppets. It was the most fun I've had at a theater this year, and an instant cult classic in my book.

A

Last edited by zingy on Mon May 16, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:36 pm
Hot Fuss

How was the puppet sex scene? any puppet boobies? :x

Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Yup, the whole thing. :lol:

Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:51 am
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:

Yup, the whole thing. :lol:

Im back from it. Yes, we got the whole thing. And more. Oh god....

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

best .. song ... ever!

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

AMERICA !! F YEA !!

best .. song ... ever!

I loved it! :lol:

Also, "The Lonely Song", "AIDs", and "Pearl Harbor sucks". They were all hilarious. :lol:

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:12 pm
Commander and Chef

There was not a single song in this movie that wasnt priceless!!

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

OMG I loved the Pearl Harbor song. I thought it was the best. Sitting next to me were OLD PEOPLE! like 65. Holy crap they laughed harder than me :lol:

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

I updated my previous, short review with my long version, which goes on my personal review page on KJ as well.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

looks like a lot of people like this film, I really want to see it, but ofcourse it had to be rated R.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

looks like a lot of people like this film, I really want to see it, but ofcourse it had to be rated R.

How old are you? I'm 15. :)

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:15 pm
Indiana Jones IV

sako16 wrote:

How old are you? I'm 15. :)

15 also, Two more years.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309

Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Although there were a couple times when there were stretches of unfunny parts, the funny parts more than made up for it. I enjoyed the star wars references, michael moore, and my favorite character is either Spottswoode or Kim Jong Il. They both had some of the best lines.

"A flying limo. Now I've seen everything"
"Really, have you seen a man eat his own head?"
"No"
"Well, then you haven't seen everything. And neither have we."

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Although there were a couple times when there were stretches of unfunny parts, the funny parts more than made up for it. I enjoyed the star wars references, michael moore, and my favorite character is either Spottswoode or Kim Jong Il. They both had some of the best lines.

"A flying limo. Now I've seen everything"
"Really, have you seen a man eat his own head?"
"No"
"Well, then you haven't seen everything. And neither have we."

I actually thought that was one of the jokes that fell really flat.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:12 pm

The end credits song about Alec Baldwin was pretty horrible.

I did love the Montage song though.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:32 pm
Teenage Dream

arsibABA wrote:

:lol:

Where'd you find tht pic, loyal? That shot wasn't in the final cut...

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:35 pm
loyalfromlondon wrote:
arsibABA wrote:

Ah yes, the legendary missing sex scenes. I heard there was a great golden shower scene as well.

http://www.craptv.com/coop/TossinSalad.mov

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:41 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift_wings wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
arsibABA wrote:

Ah yes, the legendary missing sex scenes. I heard there was a great golden shower scene as well.

http://www.craptv.com/coop/TossinSalad.mov

That goes on for a little too long.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:44 pm
Commander and Chef

Thats what I said when I saw this back on Wednesday.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The montage song and "pearl harbor sucks" were my favorites, but I wish they had made some new lyrics for the montage song, they used the exact same song in an episode of South Park.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

This is pretty much what you would expect from the South Park Guys. For being a South Park fan, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut being my favorite movie, that can only be a plus. The characters were interesting, and the songs were great. Calling all the celebrity's fags was interesting too. Though there some flaws in this. First of all, alot of the voice sounded to South Parkian (you can totally tell that some of the characters sound like some of the South Park character), and there was some static in a few parts. But that sex scene is probably one of the funniest sex scenes put on screen, and the puppet moments were funny as well. Overall, this was no South Park, but it was one hella funny movie.

***1/2 stars (out of ****).

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next