Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Spanglish 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Spanglish 
College Boy Z

Post Spanglish
Spanglish

Quote:
Spanglish is a 2004 American comedy-drama film written and directed by James L. Brooks, and starring Adam Sandler, Paz Vega, and Téa Leoni. It was released in the United States on December 17, 2004 by Columbia Pictures and by Gracie Films, and in other countries over the first several months of 2005.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:38 pm
Kypade

definitely gonna (try to) see it tomorrow...

Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:57 pm

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:34 pm
Site Owner

I can't write an official review like I would like to because I don't have a computer to write it with, nor anyway to put it on my website. Figures the first time that I get a chance to see a movie before the masses I don't even write a review for it.

Anyways. Ill sum up my feelings realy quick.

I really liked the movie. Sandler does a good job in a different role. He presents such a likeable character, and just comes across as so real. Tea also does a good job in her role, more on her later. Oddly enough Cloris Leachman provides alot of the humor in the movie, and does a great job at it as well.

The movies strong point was in its characters. You get to see them for what they are, see them for what they want, and you really delve into their lives. I thought that Paz Vega did an amazing job as the housekeeper, and in the end stealing the movie. I really felt attached to her as a character and the relationship between her and her daughter was very touching.

The movie really worked for me, I loved it, and unlike movies like Collateral the ending isn't a cop out to its characters and plot. Not oscar material, but a solid enjoyable movie.

B+

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

But alittle expected as it is coming from James Brooks who made the GREAT As good as it gets.

And nice to hear about Adam Sandler handling the role well.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:24 am
Profile WWW
As Good As It Gets is probably my favorite romantic comedy of all time, one of my overall favorite films of the 90's, and my favorite Jack Nicholson film. So yeah, I hold James L. Brooks and his ability to craft a smart film in high regard.

Spanglish doesn't disappoint. It's warm, heartbreaking at times, funny, but above all else, a great little film. The acting is incredible, especially the two young female leads, Sarah Steele and Shelbie Bruce. They carry the film and I think the story would of been better served to focus more on their journey then the failing marriage of Tea Leoni and Adam Sandler's characters. Both Leoni and Sandler are good in this film, Tea over the top as a women suffering from serious mental issues, and Sandler manages to hit all the right notes as he channels Barry Egan from his last dramatic film Punch Drunk Love. Paz Vega, a relative newcomer to American audiences shines and steals every scene she's in. Cloris Leachman rounds out the cast, playing an alcoholic former celebrity who happens to be partly responsible for at least some of Leoni's issues. Had Cloris had that one great scene Oscar voters love, I would expect her to be nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

Spanglish isn't a perfect film. In runs about 30 minutes long, a good fat trimming would have done wonders. The story does meander because of this, which really keeps it from being a perfect film. The ending is a somewhat somber one which throws all conventional wisdom for romantic comedies out the window and really, after witnessing some of the antics of Leoni's character, the ending seems even more odd, as if odd for odd sake.

I highly recommend this film.

A-

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:58 am
Kypade

this movie was great. probably in my top 5 of the year. easy A :oops:

Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:20 pm
Sbil

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:16 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Heh, I was really getting worried with the critics reviews, but I went to see it anyway.

Oh my, was it wonderful. Sure, their were some parts that I think they could've cut off and some parts should've been extended. But it was a damn fine film

9.7/10

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:29 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Great movie. Awesome performances from the entire cast (especially Tea Leoni). I saw this and the Aviator on the same day, and I have to say this one beats the Aviator by a hair IMO. Also, being Hispanic, I could totally relate to the movie much of the time.

A-

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Spanglish was a pretty good movie, but I don't see it as a movie that I would rush out to buy or watch over and over again. Definitely not in the same league as Brooks' As Good as it Gets, but still a credible effort. Cloris Leachman, who is a very skilled comedian (check out Young Frankenstein, Scavenger Hunt, or Beverly Hillbillies for proof of that), provides some comic relief, while Adam Sandler plays against type, in a roll that could have went to any faceless actor. It's good that Sandler is expanding, but it's not the kind of role I prefer him in.

B

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 pm
No Wire Tampons!

"Spanglish" dosen't hold any important statements. It's nowhere near the standards of the astounding "As Good as It Gets" ; but Brooks can't be faulted. Its not his fault that "Spanglish" lacks the engagement of his former projects. His direction is up to the standards of his other projects; and hes keen to paint his stars perfectly as they light up the screen. "Spanglish" is a film that has a heart; it may not be a big, thick, creamy one; but it holds values and compassion at its core, its actors put in their some of their most memorable performances to date and the character study that is this movie is wholy arresting and totally engaging.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Aslan Reigns Supreme

Adam's best drama. Loved how it combined the 2 launguages and made an excellent film that I wanna get real bad. A-

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:13 am
La Bella Vito

Amazing movie. This film was so real, and its one of the best movies of the year for me. All of the performances are excellent, even the child actors. The story is great, and I was touched by the ending. There are some comedic scenes, and it all works well. It's been a long time since I have seen a movie that mixes comedy, romance, and drama all into one movie, and do it so well. Paz Vega was so incredible as the housekeeper, and Cloris Leachman was one of my favorites, she was so hysterical. Adam Sandler has never been better, and Tea Leoni was great. I'm definitely going to buy this on dvd, and it was a great movie.

A

Mon May 02, 2005 5:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mon May 02, 2005 10:53 pm
Profile YIM
Grill

Adam did a great job. I loved Paz Vega! She did awesome!

Tue May 03, 2005 12:22 pm
We had our time together

Wonderful movie. I just loved the scenes between Paz Vega and Adam Sandler who where both awesome here. The little girls were great too. I enjoyed this movie immensely. A-

Mon May 16, 2005 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Fantastic movie, the performances were amazing, great job to everyone!
this is easily my favorite romantic comedy of 2004!

A-

Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:31 pm
Team Kris

OOooohh... had really funny moments and performances from Paz Vega, Cloris Leachman, and uber-bitch Tea Leoni. The kids were wonderful too. Although there's something about the Paz Vega's decision in the end of the movie that REALLY disturbs me, I just don't know, but I guess not all immigrants think/feel the same.

B/B+

Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:06 am
Extra on the Ordinary

OOooohh... had really funny moments and performances from Paz Vega, Cloris Leachman, and uber-bitch Tea Leoni. The kids were wonderful too. Although there's something about the Paz Vega's decision in the end of the movie that REALLY disturbs me, I just don't know, but I guess not all immigrants think/feel the same.

B/B+

Whyyyyy

(B+)

Best Actress 2008

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B/B+

I saw the movie tonight and I happen to agree with pretty much everything in your comment, especially the last part of it. Her decision at the end just didn't click right with me at all. Her acting was superb and the same goes for Leoni, but the decisions her character has made throughout the movie often ranged from unusual to dumb.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

The best part of the movie was the sandwich that Sandler made. Luckily the DVD had a special feature that showed exactly how to make it. It was indeed yummy!

The movie was alright, but didn't quite click with me. Good performances and a few decent scenes, but it was slightly boring and pointless at times. I'll give it a 6 out of 10 (C+).

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:12 pm
---------

How do you pronounce Tea Leoni's name? Is it like Ice Tea or Tee-aye? Then is it Lee-Onee or Leon-Eee? I've never heard anyone say it before.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:05 am
Forum General

How do you pronounce Tea Leoni's name? Is it like Ice Tea or Tee-aye? Then is it Lee-Onee or Leon-Eee? I've never heard anyone say it before.

Tay-uh Lay-oh-nee. (Expert phonetics there!)

As for the film, it had its fair share of charm and occasional humor, but I found Tea Leoni's character to be both insufferable and poorly written, and some scenes that were obviously aiming for Brooks' quirky/poignant trademark just came off as ridiculous rather than humorous. One of the bigger disappointments of last year.

C+

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:19 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I loved this film. Its great. Much better than The Longest Yard, I must say. I think that this film deserved more. B+

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next