Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My Super Ex-Girlfriend 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 22

My Super Ex-Girlfriend 
College Boy Z

Post My Super Ex-Girlfriend
My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Quote:
My Super Ex-Girlfriend is a 2006 American romantic comedy superhero film, directed by Ivan Reitman and stars Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson with Anna Faris, Eddie Izzard, Rainn Wilson, and Wanda Sykes.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Like JUST FRIENDS, the best bits in the movie evolve around Anna Faris. The film a cheesy atmosphere which is brought forward by the lacklustre acting from Thurman. Wilson should consider supporting roles in future.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:59 pm
Mod Team Leader

Post You did throw a shark at me!
A-

Laugh out loud funny. Thurman had poor acting? In what film getluv? Because it certainly wasn't this one. Ivan Reitman has been making movies for the better part of 30 years now and he doesn't disappoint in this one. It is funny from start to finish. It's a very interesting concept that noone has tackled before. Everyone involved is perfect and Wilson is perfect in the role. There are some parts that are funny and then there are parts that are gut bustingly hysterical. I highly recommend this film to anyone and everyone!!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

8/10 (B+)

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:27 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Easily the best superhero movie this year!

(Unless you count V for Vendetta as a superhero movie, which I don't, though I could understand some doing...)

Nope, this is the real deal. An original story well within the superhero genre, with a quality screenplay to support it. I loved the five leads - they all gave great performances. I loved the fact that I didn't know where the story was headed, I almost lost faith, but that "almost" was what made the story pay-off all the more in the end. Bravo(!) to the writer, Don Payne, who's resume up till now featured about a dozen Simpsons episodes.

This movie was so well done, that I wanna see the sequel!

7 out of 5.

(Warning: I'm afraid I have to put the same proviso on this film as I did with last week's You, Me, and Dupree -- this one's not for the under-30 set! Don't waste your time trying to "get" a lot of the relationship humor -- do yourself a favor, and go watch POTC2 again...)

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:21 am
Extraordinary

How many movies break 5 on your 1-to-5 scale?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:10 am
Extraordinary

How many movies break 5 on your 1-to-5 scale?

If you have to ask, you'll never understand...

;)

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Easily the best superhero movie this year!

(Unless you count V for Vendetta as a superhero movie, which I don't, though I could understand some doing...)

Nope, this is the real deal. An original story well within the superhero genre, with a quality screenplay to support it. I loved the five leads - they all gave great performances. I loved the fact that I didn't know where the story was headed, I almost lost faith, but that "almost" was what made the story pay-off all the more in the end. Bravo(!) to the writer, Don Payne, who's resume up till now featured about a dozen Simpsons episodes.

This movie was so well done, that I wanna see the sequel!

7 out of 5.

(Warning: I'm afraid I have to put the same proviso on this film as I did with last week's You, Me, and Dupree -- this one's not for the under-30 set! Don't waste your time trying to "get" a lot of the relationship humor -- do yourself a favor, and go watch POTC2 again...)

So people in there 20s will just be clueless and people in there 30s will understand everything...? Your generalizing a lot there bub.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:07 am
Extraordinary

So people in there 20s will just be clueless and people in there 30s will understand everything...? Your generalizing a lot there bub.

Not at all.

Some movies are just written to appeal to different demographics, thus the reason I'm skipping Clerks 2.

Information provided in my reviews is solely for the purpose of helping readers identify whether the humor might or might not appeal to them...

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

An inventive blend of superhero film and romantic comedy, My Super Ex-Girlfriend has a lot of things going for it in a summer movie season where sequels and remakes are conquering the box office worldwide. It has an appealing cast with faces that audiences will surely recognize. The director is famous for creating enjoyable films of this type. And most of all, which several films this year cannot say, it is original. Instead of aiming to please one specific audience, Super Ex goes far and beyond the call of duty in its attempt to satisfy everyone involved. The result is a film that is both incredibly entertaining and an absolute blast to watch. It is also one of the summer's strongest comedies.

Matt Saunders (Luke Wilson) is an average guy working for an architectural firm in New York City. Just out of a bad breakup, his only confidante is his best friend Vaughn (Rainn Wilson) - a talkative and eccentric co-worker. But one day, someone catches his eye on the subway. Jenny Johnson (Uma Thurman) appears to be a regular woman - working at an art gallery in Manhattan. She is sweet and mild-mannered, and the two seem to instantly hit it off. However, as their relationship begins to progress, many of Jenny's flaws come into play. She is needy, controlling and insanely jealous - and also harbors a huge secret. She is soon forced to tell Matt the truth. She is actually a superhero named G-Girl, who is determined to make New York a safer place for everyone. Unfortunately, Matt soon discovers that this worsens the strain in their relationship. He is also quickly falling head over heels for co-worker Hannah (Anna Faris) and sees only one way out. He has to get rid of her. Unfortunately, Jenny doesn't take the news well. As Matt tries to go on with his life, Jenny proceeds to do everything she can to make it a living hell - getting revenge on him for breaking her heart. But Jenny soon discovers that she has bigger problems, when her archnemesis and former childhood friend (Eddie Izzard) discovers a "cure" for her powers.

The film plays out like a more upbeat version of The Break-Up with a dash of Superman thrown in as well. Everything remains lighthearted throughout and even the villain of the piece isn't as evil as he seems to be. The movie marks a return to the big screen for director Ivan Reitman, who became famous after his work on instant classic Ghostbusters. This is some of Reitman's best work to date, with fine camera angles used throughout to display the lush nature of the city and colorful scenery throughout the film's duration. The special effects are obviously not cutting edge, but they add to the film's charm and bring back memories of some of his previous work. Everything moves at a fast pace and is entertaining throughout. The screenplay by first time scribe Don Payne is great as well. He perfectly satirizes the superhero genre (pointing out many of its numerous cliches), while also honoring it in a way - giving the story the same heart that many of those efforts had. The romantic comedy angle is incredibly appealing and often quite sweet, with each character given their own happy ending.

Performances are great for the most part thanks to a talented ensemble cast. Uma Thurman is obviously having a blast here and it is completely contagious. She gives the role the required energy and spunk that it needs - playing up the sassy personality of the character while also giving it another layer of poignancy and emotion. She is very likable and displays great comedic timing with this hilarious performance. Luke Wilson is likable as well in the everyman role, providing his co-stars with a great leading man to work off of. Anna Faris is utterly charming as Hannah and it is quite easy to see why Matt would fall in love with her. Known for her work in gross-out comedies, many might be surprised to see Faris featured prominently in a role where she plays it straight for most of the duration. But this allows the viewer to see a more subtle side of Faris's comedic talents - skills that could easily make her the leading lady in a romantic comedy of her own someday. But she still gets her chance to have fun in the excellent finale, one of the movie's standout moments. Rainn Wilson is a riot as Matt's friend, who seems to have no sense of morals and has a one-track mind. Eddie Izzard gives the supervillain character an entirely new spin and actually makes the character likable and relatable as well. Wanda Sykes is funny in her small role, but her character is pretty pointless and she doesn't get a whole lot to do here.

Overall, My Super Ex-Girlfriend is an utterly delightful comedy that serves up a lot of humor and a bit of heart as well. It is perfect for those looking for an escape from the loud action films of the season and those who are just looking for a good time. Thanks to a winning cast and an original screenplay, this ex-girlfriend is one worth remembering.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:28 am
Profile YIM

The word superficial comes to mind when describing some of you people.

Thurman clearly looked like she was there for the money.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:30 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was easily the best of the new releases I've seen. Lady In The Water was terrible and Monster House was disappointing.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:18 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

That's interesting coming from a guy who gave Click the following review:
getluv wrote:
F

I fucking hated this shit. I'm sorry, but the last third of the film is fucking awful, so awful, I couldn't even give this anything higher than F. The editing here is so shocking.

You are clearly operating in a different realm of movie taste than some of us - and that's okay, but it hardly justifies your "superficial" analysis...

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm sorry, but i don't need to provide a 500 word critique for every movie review I write.

CLICK is a cinematic experience that no one should endure. I love Sandler films, and i love la-di-da films. Hell JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE is on my must watch list. EX isn't the worst film, but it had me staring at my watch in 20 minutes. It wasn't funny either. Faris and Izzard deserve better.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:31 pm
Mod Team Leader

How exactly did she look like that?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Surprisingly entertaining and fun. I went in expecting it to be rather boring but hoping for at least a few laughs. I certainly got that and more. B+

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:36 pm
Orphan

Starts out okay before degenerating into misogynistic and other dumb humor. It's a film that simultaneously makes men and women look like morons (Women are vindictive psychos, men only think about sex which is an idea so tired it should be banned from movies). The performances weren't anything great either with both leads slumming, especially Wilson.

Grade - D

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:48 pm
Superman: The Movie

The film works when it tries to be funny and it fails horribly when it tries to take on a couple of special effects sequences, although the movie is about the relationships first and foremost.

Here's what's wrong with the film.

I like Eddie Izzard but I thought he was miscast here. I like Wanda Sykes usually, but the two scenes she is in bring the film to a complete hault and aren't funny. Some scenes were a little too corny for my taste. For instance the fight between Uma and Anna, along with the fashion show ending. The CGI is also pretty bad too. I also thought we could've used more Rainn Wilson.

That saying though, the film works because it's funny, and in a comedy that's all you can ask for. Even though the film is completely flawed, I liked it.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Breezy, enjoyable summer comedy. You don't have to think much and you can kind sit back and relax, which is all a movie like this should really be expected to deliver. Uma Thurman is probably one of the few that could pull off Jenny Johnson/G-Girl, a courageous superhero and her nerdy, slightly unstable alterego. Luke Wilson is probably the best "average guy" Hollywood has. Anna Faris is delightful in a role where she is finally not forced to act like an idiot. Eddie Izzard and Rainn Wilson give amusing supporting performances, although I didn't really see the need for Wanda Sykes' brief role. Overall, I liked My Super Ex-Girlfriend about as much as last year's Sky High, another charming superhero comedy. B

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

They destroyed an awesome concept. ugh. D

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am
On autopilot for the summer

getluv wrote:

Actually, considering all of the films shes been in lately, I think she wanted to do something that would be fun. She looks like shes having a ball in the film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 pm
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:
getluv wrote:

Actually, considering all of the films shes been in lately, I think she wanted to do something that would be fun. She looks like shes having a ball in the film.

I am far from an UMA loonie, but i think she looked like she was having fun as well. I think getluv is just impirically repressed.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:08 pm
Profile WWW

I'm sorry, but she did not give it her all. I've seen all her films, including the bad ones, and even them she showed a bit more finesse.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:37 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

It was all right, nothing special. I thought Thurman played unhinged very well, and Wilson was affable enough (though a little dull) in his leading man role. Rainn Wilson annoyed me for most of the film - a few funny moments aside - and Sykes' character was just pointless. I'd say Izzard was miscast, except he's always miscast. The man has no business being in film.

My biggest problem with it is that the comedy bits weren't funny enough, and the superhero bits weren't super enough. It just sorta safely straddled the fence, resulting in a bland kind of yarn with no stand out moments either way.

C

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:06 pm
Extraordinary

It just sorta safely straddled the fence, resulting in a bland kind of yarn with no stand out moments either way.

It's like that poltergeist comedy I've always been meaning to write!

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next