Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Little Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
F 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

Little Man 
College Boy Z

Post Little Man
Little Man

Quote:
Little Man is a 2006 American comedy film, directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans. It stars Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Kerry Washington, and Tracy Morgan. Little Man was released on DVD on November 7, 2006.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:56 pm
Mod Team Leader

Little Man is one of the two worst films I have seen
Wow!! What a piece of garbage!! I can't believe this film actually got greenlit. And who thought this was funny enough to make? This is as low as you can go in film making. The humour is non-existent. The writing is weak, and the acting and the situations are pathetic. This film is actually an insult to the audience. It's not even potty low brow humour. It just insults you time after time. Are we really to believe that a 40 year old man can actually play a baby? And every joke is about the "baby" wanting to fuck some hot woman, or grab her tits or do something that he should actually be arrested for. And we're supposed to like this guy? Man!! What happened to the Wayans? They are usually quite funny,but this is a movie made for no one. I know it had a good weekend box office wise, but make no mistake about it, this is the second worst film i have ever seen. It is a disgrace.

F-

0/10

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I liked White Chicks a lot. This isn't White Chicks. It's just terrible. I had no problem ignoring the fact that Marlon Wayans played a midget thanks to some horrible CGI, but it's never funny. It's just really annoying. D-

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:25 pm
Romosexual!

i don't plan on seeing it. maybe i'll download it.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:12 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Little Man is one of the two worst films I have seen
Wow!! What a piece of garbage!! I can't believe this film actually got greenlit. And who thought this was funny enough to make? This is as low as you can go in film making. The humour is non-existent. The writing is weak, and the acting and the situations are pathetic. This film is actually an insult to the audience. It's not even potty low brow humour. It just insults you time after time. Are we really to believe that a 40 year old man can actually play a baby? And every joke is about the "baby" wanting to fuck some hot woman, or grab her tits or do something that he should actually be arrested for. And we're supposed to like this guy? Man!! What happened to the Wayans? They are usually quite funny,but this is a movie made for no one. I know it had a good weekend box office wise, but make no mistake about it, this is the second worst film i have ever seen. It is a disgrace.

F-

0/10

Great review, I wont see it, and Im suprised you did actually. What happened Baum, did some person leave a trail of free DVDs and before you knew it, you were strapped into a theater seat with your eyes taped open.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:09 pm
Mod Team Leader

I snuck into it. I saw 4 movies that day. I paid for You Me and Dupree, and then snuck into Little Man, Devil wears Prada and Lakes House. :biggrin:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The Wayans Brothers have made a name for themselves by creating cheap high-concept comedies that usually, for the most part, are successful in terms of audience response. While their films haven't always been met with praise from critics, audiences still flock to see their latest production hoping for a fun time at the movie theatre. Their spoof of horror films, the aptly titled Scary Movie, went on to become an international sensation and spawned a hit franchise. It was filled with gross-out humor and offensive gags, but was undeniably a complete blast to watch. They followed this film with White Chicks, which also proved to be very entertaining. However, with their latest film, the Wayans have finally managed to strike out. Little Man is a complete mess from beginning to end, ellicting nothing more than the faintest chuckle as it plays through the seemingly endless 88-minute running time.

The farfetched plot involves a criminal named Calvin (Marlon Wayans) who happens to be vertically challenged. After he is released from prison, he becomes set on doing a job for mob boss Walken (Chazz Palminteri) that will earn him a lot of money. Along with his dimwitted partner-in-crime Percy (Tracy Morgan), he must steal a massive diamond from a local jewelry store. However, after a series of mishaps the diamond ends up in the purse of hardworking and grounded businesswoman Vanessa (Kerry Washington) while she is out shopping with her husband Darryl (Shawn Wayans). Determined to get the diamond back, Calvin thinks of the perfect solution to deal with the couple. Pretend to be a baby and have them take him in. The plan seems to go off without a hitch at first, but as Calvin realizes how caring his new family really is, he must re-evaluate his plan of action.

Most of the humor revolves around Marlon Wayans, who has been digitally altered here to appear as a little person. Through the use of body doubles it manages to be convincing at times, but at other moments the use of a green screen is painfully obvious. The screenplay, written by Marlon, Shawn and Keenan Ivory Wayans, is a disaster. Everything throughout the film seems incredibly juvenile and almost plays out like a Looney Tunes episode. Those who hate slapstick humor are advised to stay far away from this one. The humor plays towards younger audiences, but then that age group is alienated when many random sex jokes are thrown in to "spice up" the script. Direction by Keenan Ivory Wayans is incredibly bland. He doesn't utilize any of his locations well and many of the scenes feel very sitcom-like in their depiction. There are a few laughs to be had, but they are few and far between. This certainly won't gain him any more respect in the film community. Another flaw is that very little of the film makes any logical sense. In some scenes, Vanessa and Darryl treat Calvin like a newborn - feeding him baby food and changing his diaper. However, in later scenes, Calvin is walking, playing football with others and other things a toddler or even an elementary schooler might do. There is also a completely cheesy finale that seems very out of place as well.

Performances are generally pretty mediocre. Marlon Wayans is incredibly annoying here and his character is neither interesting nor likable. Even when he supposedly "likes" his new family, he still finds pleasure in tormenting them and playing rude pranks. There is no progression to his character at all and we never feel the change in personality that the role seems to require. Shawn Wayans fares slightly better, actually managing to the audience like him. But he is given awful dialogue to work with and much of his performance revolves around him doing cute baby voices. Chazz Palminteri once again chooses to play the exact same role that he has done in many other films, an angry and violent Italian mob boss. He gives the role nothing new and his villain certainly doesn't come off as one to be feared. Tracy Morgan is grating and annoying as the wannabe gangster role that has become a staple in films of this sort. The one bright spot in the cast is Kerry Washington, who is both sweet and funny in her role as Vanessa. Why she chose this project is truly beyond me. She is so much better than this.

Overall, the Wayans Brothers have a disaster on their hands with Little Man, an offensive and crude laugh-free film. This is easily one of the year's worst, and it is a shame to see talented actors such as Washington slumming with this material. Let's hope that the next effort from this filmmaking team is much better.

4/10 (D+)

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:36 pm
Profile YIM
Mod Team Leader

Just for the record, Little Man is rated a 1.9 on imdb.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I have to admit, I kind of liked it actually. It's not the Wayans Brothers best, and I'm still trying to figure out why "Little Man" had to ditch the diamond in the first place (It seemed like he just could've held on to it in the supermarket). But I admit that I laughed.

C+ :whistle:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Well, different strokes for different folks. Go to imdb and give it a 6, quickly, before it hits #1 worst ranked film of all time on imdb. :hahaha:

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Well, different strokes for different folks. Go to imdb and give it a 6, quickly, before it hits #1 worst ranked film of all time on imdb. :hahaha:

I didn't realize it was #5 on the worst list. Wow, it looks like I'm in the extreme minority on this one. :funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:20 pm
Top Poster

B. I thought this was very funny and entertaining and delivered what it marketed. I can't believe I'm the only person to give this a positive grade in the whole thread. Were you all expecting anything different than what it advertised?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

B. I thought this was very funny and entertaining and delivered what it marketed. I can't believe I'm the only person to give this a positive grade in the whole thread. Were you all expecting anything different than what it advertised?

Not really. I guess I have this false hope that the Wayans will give me something in the same range as Scary Movie, but I'm pretty much expecting more White Girls stuff.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:49 pm
Teh Mexican

Woah... right from the start it was horrible. Very unfunny and plain stupid. I dont remember laughing once.

D-

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:33 pm
Extraordinary

One of the worst films of 2006, totally unfunny.

*/****

D-

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Glad to see most agree that it is quite bad.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

What a god awful movie. One of the worst I've ever seen. F

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]