Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Superman Returns 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 27 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 31 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 85

Superman Returns 
College Boy Z

Post Superman Returns
Superman Returns

Quote:
Superman Returns is a 2006 superhero film directed by Bryan Singer. It is the fifth and final installment in the original Superman film series and serves as a sequel to Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) by ignoring the events of Superman III (1983) and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987).

The film stars Brandon Routh as Superman, as well as Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey, James Marsden, Frank Langella, and Parker Posey, and tells the story of the title character returning to Earth after a five year absence. He finds that his love interest Lois Lane has moved on with her life, and that his archenemy Lex Luthor is plotting a scheme that will destroy the United States.

After a series of unsuccessful projects to resurrect Superman on the screen, Warner Bros. hired Bryan Singer to direct and develop Superman Returns in July 2004. The majority of principal photography took place at Fox Studios Australia, Sydney, while the visual effects sequences were created by Sony Pictures Imageworks; filming ended in November 2005. Preceded by an extensive marketing campaign at the cost of $44.5 million, Superman Returns was released to positive reviews and received many award nominations, but Warner Bros. was disappointed with the $391 million worldwide box office return. A sequel was planned for a summer 2009 release, but the project was later cancelled. The Superman series will be rebooted in 2013 with the film Man of Steel and will be directed by Zack Snyder with Henry Cavill as Superman.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:20 pm
Extraordinary

Overlong and slightly meandering, but the leads all work well and I was very involved. It's like a more serious version of Donner's original, which doesn't bother me at all. A better start than X-Men or Spider-Man.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:06 pm
Romosexual!

A-

Overlong and slightly meandering, but the leads all work well and I was very involved. It's like a more serious version of Donner's original, which doesn't bother me at all. A better start than X-Men or Spider-Man.

COOL! :) how was the flying,fx and action sequences?
more :D i want more.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:10 pm
laneyboy

Probably ranks second on my all-time favorite comic book movies, right after Batman Begins. I was surprised by Routh and Bosworth, who did exceedingly well along with the rest of the cast. It's a perfect mix of drama, action, romance and comedy. Although there wasn't as much action as I had expected, I wasn't bothered by it since all the other scenes worked just as well as some of the great action and visual effects (I would love to see the airplane scene in IMAX). In the 2 and a half hour running time, I felt it went by quite fast. And, for me at least, I felt it had the same vibe as the original Superman films, but I a bit darker. It's just a great film.

A

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very well done. There's a handheld shot of Superman during the airplane sequence that's just phenomenal. Also, Superman gets the coolest re-entrance ever. I seriously wanted to cheer.

P.S. Bryan Singer either hates dogs or finds them deliciously tasty.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:24 pm
Commander and Chef

Yes! Dogs die a horrible death!! Now this movie has it all.

Did someone kick a puppy?

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

revolutions wrote:

Very well done. There's a handheld shot of Superman during the airplane sequence that's just phenomenal. Also, Superman gets the coolest re-entrance ever. I seriously wanted to cheer.

P.S. Bryan Singer either hates dogs or finds them deliciously tasty.

SWEET!! :D only 8hrs & 30mins till i see it.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm
Extraordinary

One dog cannibalizes another, and Lex Luthor contemplates eating another one.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm
Romosexual!

Probably ranks second on my all-time favorite comic book movies, right after Batman Begins. I was surprised by Routh and Bosworth, who did exceedingly well along with the rest of the cast. It's a perfect mix of drama, action, romance and comedy. Although there wasn't as much action as I had expected, I wasn't bothered by it since all the other scenes worked just as well as some of the great action and visual effects (I would love to see the airplane scene in IMAX). In the 2 and a half hour running time, I felt it went by quite fast. And, for me at least, I felt it had the same vibe as the original Superman films, but I a bit darker. It's just a great film.

A

YAY! :happy:

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:55 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I thought it had plenty of action compared to Singer's X-Men movies. It has about equel to a bit more than those. The airplane sequence is amazing but a few parts look a little bland FX wise. Specificly with Supes. I thought that Kevin Spacey was excellent but wasn't used as much as I thought they would. The only part of the story I disliked was the kid angle. He got on my nerves and ruins the final 1/3 of the film in some spots. B

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:17 pm
Commander and Chef

DHUN DHUN DHUN!! wrote:

One dog cannibalizes another, and Lex Luthor contemplates eating another one.

OMG! That kicks ass!!

Best.Film.Idea.Ever!

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Alright Folks.. Let's get right to it.. SUPERMAN RETURNS Claims to be a Quote "Direct Sequel" to the other 2 SUPERMAN movie's and is supposed to disregard SUPERMAN III and IV.. For this movie to be exactly what WB and Singer intended it to be, there should've been more of a tie-in continuity wise than what I saw.. What I saw felt more like Singer was re-imagining this movie by borrowing many elements from the other 2 movie's.. For example, Singer used the score in this movie from the old movie's by John Williams instead of developing his own Score for the movie and also, used CGI to replicate Marlon Brando as Jor-El.. Bryan Singer to his credit definitely nailed the tone and look of this movie to fit the movie's Donner made and that I will credit him for..

The Story: Basically in a nutshell, SUPERMAN takes several years off from fighting crime to return to his already destroyed homeworld of Krypton.. Krypton was destroyed in the original movie and in the comic's Bryan Singer, GET IT?? Why would you have this character returning back to a world that was already destroyed in the 1st movie and to go there knowing there would be nothing left but Debris??? This aspect of the movie REALLY doesn't fly and make much sense.. Singer could've made a much better excuse for SUPERMAN's absence than what was presented.. Also, how is it that the DAILY PLANET Doesn't know Clark Kent's missing for what?? 5 or 6 Years?? Then comes back and goes to work like nothing happened and wasn't missed?? Anyhow, to make a long story short, it turns out that while The Man of Steel(Or in Bryan Singer's Case, The Man of Heart) was away, all of Metroplis and, well, the World in general, moved on and moved on without him just fine to the point of Questioning whether the world really needed SUPERMAN anymore.. It turns out that the world did need him more than they were willing to admit..

The Cast: Alright.. Let's talk about the Cast, at least, the MAIN CHARACTERS:

Clark Kent/SUPERMAN: Bryan Singer I'm fairly certain when Casting this character, had ALOT of Male Prospects out there wanting in on this and in the end, the role went to an Unknown actor named Brandon Routh.. For the most part, Routh looks Gay, has more of a Feministic Quality to him and softness that definitely is the Polar Opposite of the Late Christopher Reeve who was more Manly and looked the part.. Reeve was more chiseled, Barrel chested and just for the most part had that special "IT" that made him Perfect for the role of SUPERMAN.. He was Intimidating, he had Command Presence that Routh simply doesn't have.. As I watched this movie, I saw an actor do his best to mimic Christopher Reeve and I ask this Question: Was this really the right thing to do in the end when playing this role is trying to replicate Christopher Reeve knowing full well that the chances of doing that would be slim to none??? Why not make the role more HIS OWN??? Brandon Routh plays this SUPERMAN with more emotion than Reeve did and almost TOO much emotion to the point where I felt like I was sprouting Women's Breast watching him.. I much more prefer Reeve to Routh but I'll credit him for at least trying..

The Kid: As I watched this, I came to the conclusion of this: That Bryan Singer brought the kid into this movie in a so called twist move, by making him SUPERMAN's Son.. This really was DUMB on all levels and made this seem more like DISNEY'S SUPERMAN RETURNS than anything.. Problem with this is that it totally messes up the continuity of the other movie's when you factor in the kid's age and the timeframe of this movie in terms of events.. Supposedly, Lois Lane is 22 in this movie and if were to go by this movie being 5 years after the events of SUPERMAN II, then were expected to believe Lois Lane was like 17 or 18 in SUPERMAN II :hahaha: .. Your kidding, right?? Does Margot Kidder look 17 or 18 in SUPERMAN II?? If so, then life wasn't very good to her looks wise.. In the end though, I sort of understand WHY singer did this: He figured when making this movie: "How can we make the character of Clark Kent more interesting instead of being a Goody too shoes Nerd and make it more updated for today's standards??" His answer was bringing the kid into it to give the story more of an Edge and not look so Plain Jane.. At the end, there's a touching speech SUPERMAN gives his kid about how different people will see him when he grows up and how things will be different period.. It was a nice touch and I thought to myself that I read where Bryan Singer was adopted and never knew his Father and to me, it sort of looked like Singer was translating his own life into the life of Clark Kent..

Lois Lane: Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane is Sexy and more into the Feminist part of this than Margot Kiddr who was a tough reporter type of character.. Bosworth is sexy but really wasn't all that convincing as Lois Lane.. She did the job and that's about it..

Lex Luthor: Was BRILLIANT and underused.. Anything Kevin Spacey plays in pretty much brings the movie up a notch.. He's a great actor and just yesterday, I watched SE7EN and remembered how great he was in that.. His portrayal of Lex Luthor was more menacing than Gene Hackman but still had it's elements of humor to.. Spacey was really the best part of the movie..

The FX: AWESOME Comes to mind and at 1 point prior to seeing this movie, I had said the FX looked more videogame looking than practical and real and for that, I was wrong.. The FX Looked AWESOME in this movie, even the flying sequences with SUPERMAN and the Plane Disaster Scene.. This brings to another problem with this movie was very little action in favor of more drama and oversap that would make a Man look down to see if he had a Penis or a Vagina and Singer should took a page from Sam Raimi and blended more action with the sappy drama to make it flow better..

Overall: SUPERMAN RETURNS REALLY is a Mixed Bag for me in the sense that there just wasn't ENOUGH action in this movie and by watching the TV Spots and how there Edited, it makes it look like this movie is Non-stop Action and it's NOT.. Bryan Singer incorporated too much Sap and Sugar in this movie and screwed up ALOT of continuity that will definitely be brought into focus on the internet forums for some time to come.. I can't imagine it wouldn't... Singer says that Donner's SUPERMAN movie's are worshipped from the ground up and that his movie was to Honor Donner's movie's, but in the end, did Singer really honor Donner's movie's or again, re-imagine them by borrowing alot from Donner's movie's to put this over??? Kevin Spacey is BRILLIANT, The FX are BRILLIANT for the most part, but these 2 factors weren't enough to give this overly long movie a high enough grade.. In the end, what I would've done to make this movie better than what it is is this:

1) Edit the movie down about 20-25 Minutes.. This movie runs into the problem Ang Lee did with The HULK: Not knowing when to say when and end the movie and as a result, it drags on for what seem like an eternity..

2) Make mention of the Villains from SUPERMAN II to tie this in much better and make it seem like a sequel instead of a re-imagining like it stands.. It certainly couldn't of hurt it..

3) Cast someone more Manly next time for the character of Clark Kent/SUPERMAN.. I'm sorry but Brandon Routh for as hard as he tried, just didn't have "IT" and maybe it has alot to do with me hanging on to Reeve but that's just the way it is and judging from the audience seeing this, many felt the same way.. He did Ok but that's not good enough in the end..

4) Go with someone other than Lex Luthor for your Villain which feels definitely like a "Been there, Done that" sort of thing.. Why not try something fresh like BRAINIAC??

Overall Grade: For now, I'm giving this movie a grade of a "C-".. Really, I feel this is more than generous considering all the continuity screwups this movie has and should be more of a "D" but if I give this a "D" Then fanboys will say this is predictable of me and yada yada yada..

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Even though you don't like the movie.. but your review is acceptable :tongue:
(well, that's after having seen the film, it wasn't that good)

But it's still a good movie, though not a great one.

here's what I've said in other forum

Quote:
SATISFIED IN..

* Brandon Routh, ok I assume you all know how much I'm crazy about him. I wasn't disappointed in this point. But as 'Superman', he was very good too. C'mon, you knew no matter how he turn out, I'll come and said he's awesome. I can't compare with Reeves though (shoot me, I can't remember anything from the original Superman movies).
* Kate Bosworth, I'm surprised with all negative said about her in this movie. She was really great.
* Action scenes. They're all great. Visual is awesome.
* Score, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
* Bryan Singer's direction. This movie would fail miserably without his fabulous directing. The third act which was very weak, wasn't as bad as it could be because of him.

Although I enjoyed through 2 hours (and half) of this movie. But when the film ends, yes.. I found it A BIT overlong. Not that it made me bored. But after climax scene, it takes a bit too much of time to (really) end the movie. It made me feel like there's something waiting on the way end, some good last punch. While there wasn't any. I left the theater felt underwhelming, found it not so memorable. This is the only negative point of this movie in my opinion; the weak of the third act. Unfortunately, it's big enough to ruin what I've seen in first 2 hours. It didn't turn this movie to a bad movie, but rather prevent from being a great one.

Overall; Good movie not a great one, a great (re) start of the franchise. Wait and see, a sequel of this movie will be awesome.

***1/2 out of ***** (B+)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:41 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Thanks BKB for the review; that was actually pretty coherent and I could understand what you were meaning. Glad you gave it a fair review: too bad you didn't enjoy the film.

Overall, glad to see great early reception so far: except for BKB, all A's and B's, which is what I hoped. :)

PEACE, Mike.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:46 pm
ef star star kay

though, I've to admit that I'm still bothering everytime you say anything about Brandon Routh..

But it's ok..

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:47 pm

though, I've to admit that I'm still bothering everytime you say anything about Brandon Routh..

But it's ok..

Brandon Routh tried and did the best he could for what he was faced with in filling large shoes in the form of Christopher Reeve, but his look and skinniness gave it too much of a "Queer Eye for the Super Guy" Look instead of Intimidation and sheer presence....

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Better than I expected. Great mix of comedy, action, drama and romance. The special effects are amazing. Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth had good chemistry and acted well, though Spacey stole the show.

Great start to the series, though I don't think it's like the best comic-book adaptation ever.

A-

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:18 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Personally I thought the movie was entertaining, but it was very noticable that the balance between romance, drama, action was a bit off.
Superhero films definitely need a good dose of human drama to make the characters believable...But then again a SUPER hero film also needs a fair share of SUPER scenes....Which were somewhat lacking (But the action scenes which did appear in the film were A+)
The original superman was also heavy in drama but even those dramatic scenes had a sense of wonder and made the audience really anticipate the upcoming action scenes.

As for the acting, everyone did a good job (although no particular performance really stood out)

Basically this is a pretty good movie (and one of the better superhero films) but not a great movie....And certainly doesn't have the sense of wonder of the original Superman movie.

BTW, as for that dog scene....It looks like Sunger handed the directing reins over to Geaorge Romero for that scene...Where did that come from?! (It was pretty funny in a distubing kind of way)

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

- Superman Returns was good enough to restart the franchise

- Having said that, my experience was bittersweet. B- leaning towards a C+

- Some scenes ... fantastic, others ... complete opposite.

- Main criticism: The film dragged. I love drama but man .. does every scene in a film need to be sooooo overly dramatized!?!? I mean sheesh! Even scenes that should have been good left a bad taste in my mouth by the end of it. Thats really what spoilt the entire film for me.

- For the love of God, stop casting kids in movie with important plot line roles.

- Brandon Routh .... He is SUPERMAN! I love him. If there should have been a successor to Reeves, it was him. He looks like Reeves and while initially, it took time to get over how young he looks, the minute he started looking and acting more intimidating, I lost all doubt.

- I didn't like Kate as Bosworth. Just didn't fit.

- The film felt out of focus. On the one hand, they're making a quality film and on the other hand, they add in the camp factor such as boss doing all the talking while the goons are hanging out without saying a word. I thing Kal Penn was the only one who ever uttered a single line.

- The story was good, the acting was good, the action scenes were great. Sadly, everything dragged that brought all those good things down with it.

------------------------------------------

Crowd reaction:

While I didn't like it, I must be honest about a few things.
I think the film's beginning ... i mean, the crowd acted like they had come to see Star Wars. I mean, people were honestly acting like that. I guess all superman fans were out in full swing.

Most people seemed to like it a lot. So I guess its fair to say that most fans were happy and some average film goers were happy as well with the end content. My view seemed like in the minority.

thats it for now.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

1) Edit the movie down about 20-25 Minutes.. This movie runs into the problem Ang Lee did with The HULK: Not knowing when to say when and end the movie and as a result, it drags on for what seem like an eternity..

Other than our disagreement over Routh, I think this statement basically sums up how we both feel about the film. I think we pretty much have the same general opinion and i think we both had a negative experience due to this one fact. the movie dragged in places it shouldn't have ... i mean every single sequence ...... it should have been shorter. Hell, I'd go as far as to say more than 30 minutes should have been cut off from that film.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:32 am
Profile WWW

Quick points

- Main criticism: The film dragged. I love drama but man .. does every scene in a film need to be sooooo overly dramatized!?!? I mean sheesh! Even scenes that should have been good left a bad taste in my mouth by the end of it. Thats really what spoilt the entire film for me.

- For the love of God, stop casting kids in movie with important plot line roles.

- Brandon Routh .... He is SUPERMAN! I love him. If there should have been a successor to Reeves, it was him. He looks like Reeves and while initially, it took time to get over how young he looks, the minute he started looking and acting more intimidating, I lost all doubt.

- The film felt out of focus. On the one hand, they're making a quality film and on the other hand, they add in the camp factor such as boss doing all the talking while the goons are hanging out without saying a word. I thing Kal Penn was the only one who ever uttered a single line.

- The story was good, the acting was good, the action scenes were great. Sadly, everything dragged that brought all those good things down with it.

Crowd reaction:

I think the film's beginning ... i mean, the crowd acted like they had come to see Star Wars. I mean, people were honestly acting like that. I guess all superman fans were out in full swing.

Most people seemed to like it a lot. So I guess its fair to say that most fans were happy and some average film goers were happy as well with the end content. My view seemed like in the minority.

thats it for now.

Routh was far from intimidating.. Watch SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE again where it showed Clark Kent in the Alley running while peeling off his clothes and transforming into literally, THE MAN OF STEEL and how big he is.. THAT'S INTIMIDATION and COMMAND PRESENCE Folks.. That's what I'm talking about, bot some guy like Brandon Routh who not only looks feministic but, also like he just leaped off the cover of a Ambercrombie & Finch Catalog.. He did Ok, but it probably would've been of more benefit to try not acting and mimicing Reeve so much and make the role his own..

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Passion of the [s]Christ[/s] Superman or Freddy Vs. Jason or one of them there new hybrid concept movies -- if I have to hear about "our saviour" one more time...

I'll tell ya! I woulda rated Superman Returns a 5 out of 5 after the first hour and a half... unfortunately, I stayed for the whole movie.

Lots of cool Superman storybits in the beginning, the FX were big and fun, but then the whole thing devolves into SuperSoap, which wouldn't be so bad if it were well written, but alas, the writers seem to have left the project at about the 90 minute mark, and the whole enterprise flutters lifeless to the ground. If the acting had been any good, I might not have noticed this as much, or at least would have been more forgiving, but --Yow!!! Sadly, Brandon Routh is super lame - no wonder he's only been in music videos so far, and he doesn't even look that hot -- what's with the super-schnoz? And even, Kate Bosworth, whom I've greatly admired previously, is wasted here. Kevin Spacey? Fun for about an hour. The rest? Who knows - they're barely noticeable in their brief uninspiring appearances.

3 out of 5.

(Maybe, hopefully, let us pray - the director's cut DVD is a properly edited version that can restore at least some of the potential of this wasted celluloid...)

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:37 am
Superman: The Movie

After seeing this I can now say for certainty that nothing will be able to top the first Superman film. Everything about that film is just perfect. That saying though, Superman Returns tries its damndest to come close. My major apprehensions going in were the casting choices so let me break those down.

Brandon Routh - He's no Christopher Reeve. He isn't supposed to be. That saying, the role is now his and he handles the job very nicely. He is very good as both Superman and Clark Kent.

Kate Bosworth - She's no Margot Kidder. She isn't supposed to be. That saying, I thought she was very decent as Lois Lane. The character still posesses sass (Though not as much) as a reporter, but she has become more dimensional now that she is a mommy. She balanced the two nicely.

James Marsden - No problem with him whatsoever.

The Kid (I forget his name) - To my surprise he actually benefits the film, especially during the final scene. Great addition. I just hope that they do the exact opposite of what Roger Ebert said, and don't turn him into a "Spy Kid". Brief glimpses of his power like with the piano are fine, but no more.

Kevin Spacey - I'm still trying to decide, but I think he might have eclipsed Gene Hackman as the best Lex Luthor. He still has his sharp sense of humor, yet he is more violent. This is a plus.

I'll have more thoughts on the film tomorrow since I'm too tired now, but right now I'm leaning towards an A/A+. I'm still deciding whether it's better than Superman II. It's as good as Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 though.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

DHUN DHUN DHUN!! wrote:
Quick points

Crowd reaction:

thats it for now.

Routh was far from intimidating.. Watch SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE again where it showed Clark Kent in the Alley running while peeling off his clothes and transforming into literally, THE MAN OF STEEL and how big he is.. THAT'S INTIMIDATION and COMMAND PRESENCE Folks.. That's what I'm talking about, bot some guy like Brandon Routh who not only looks feministic but, also like he just leaped off the cover of a Ambercrombie & Finch Catalog.. He did Ok, but it probably would've been of more benefit to try not acting and mimicing Reeve so much and make the role his own..

not saying Reeve was less. Reeve is Superman for most of us and the change is gradual. As far as i'm concerned, in this day and time, I can't think of anyone better than Routh.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I'll post more tomorrow, but basically, there were parts in the film that made me want to cheer and the original score by John Williams gave em goose bumps, but overall, it is a disapoointing film. A B- from me as well.

I loved Routh
I disliked Bosworth
Enjoyed Spacey and Posey and disliked much of the pace and the length. And it really was boring in much of the film.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next