Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 RoboCop (1987) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

RoboCop (1987) 
College Boy Z

Post RoboCop (1987)
RoboCop

Quote:
RoboCop is a 1987 American science fiction action film directed by Paul Verhoeven and written by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner. The film stars Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Dan O'Herlihy, Kurtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer, and Ronny Cox. Set in a crime-ridden Detroit, Michigan in the near future, RoboCop centers on police officer Alex Murphy (Weller) who is brutally murdered by a gang of criminals and subsequently revived by the malevolent mega-corporation Omni Consumer Products (OCP) as a superhuman cyborg law enforcer known as "RoboCop".

RoboCop includes themes regarding the media, gentrification, corruption, authoritarianism, greed, privatization, capitalism, identity, dystopia, and human nature. It received positive reviews and was cited as one of the best films of 1987, spawning a franchise that included merchandise, two sequels, a television series, two animated TV series, a television mini-series, video games and a number of comic book adaptations/crossovers. The film was produced for a relatively modest $13 million.

I don't remember it, actually. I know I've seen it but I can't even remember a scene from it.

I guess it sucked? Need to see it again.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:27 pm
George A. Romero

it rules. a poor man's terminator...but it rules

"your move creep!"

A-

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:34 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Its awesome back in the day and I still would give it an A. I could understand a younger generation looking at the movie and seeing the FX being outdated but if you have seen it back in the day, you would understand why it got two thumbs up from Siskel & Ebert before they became all optimistic

A

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:04 pm
Superfreak

sick movie

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:12 pm
Teenage Dream

One of my all time favorite films. Not only is it filled with great action sequences (Murphy's execution and the entire sequence at the abandon chemical plant are some of the best of all time in my book), brilliant Verhoeven direction (it's one of the bloodiest American action films of all time), an outstanding score, and seriously impressive acting (Kurtwood Smith is effin' brilliant) - but it has an honest to goodness genius screenplay that makes it one of the most quotable films of all time!

Clarence: Can you fly, Bobby?

RoboCop: I'm not arresting you anymore.

Joe Cox: Awww! A new toy! Can I play?

Emil: I remember you! You're dead. We killed you!

Clarence: See, I got this problem. Cops don't like me. So I don't like cops.

Lt Hedgecock: What kind of car do you want?
Miller: Something with reclining leather seats, that goes really fast, and gets really shitty gas mileage!

Clarence: I've got the muscle to shove so much of this factory up your stupid wop ass that you'll shit snow for a year!
Sal: Mikey, blow this cocksucker's head off.
[Sal's goons pull out their guns, Clarence's goons pull out their guns. Seeing this, the rest of the guys in the room pull out their guns too]
Clarence: Ooh, guns, guns, guns! Tigers are playing
[taps table]
Clarence: ... tonight! I never miss a game

[after killing Murphy]
Joe Cox: Good night, sweet prince.

Clarence Boddicker: You cocksucker! I work for Dick Jones! Dick Jones! He's the Number Two Guy at OCP. OCP runs the cops.
[Robocop grabs his throat]
Clarence Boddicker: You're a cop.

Clarence: [to Murphy] Where's your partner? I said, "Where's your partner?"
Joe Cox: Well guys...
[about Lewis]
Joe Cox: the other one was upstairs. She was sweeeeet! Hmm-hmm. I took her out.
[laughs]
Clarence: I bet that really pisses you off. You probably don't think I'm a very nice guy. Do ya?
Murphy: Buddy, I think you're slime

RoboCop: Book him!
Sgt. Reed: What's the charge?
RoboCop: He's a cop killer

ED-209: Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.
Dick Jones: I think you'd better do as he says, Mr. Kinney

RoboCop: Your move, creep

[last lines]
The Old Man: Nice shooting, son. What's your name?
RoboCop: Murphy

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:15 pm
One of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 pm
htm

Has Verhoevon's touch. Which is a good thing, in this case. I like it.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:37 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Verhovan's best by a country mile and one of the best action/sci-fi films ever made. Its cutting satire of the wasteful excess of the 80s is expertly woven into the futuristic plotline which bar the hulking cyborg looks just like the shallow shell that the 80s will be remembered for by many.

Makeshift has quoted all the great lines and I totally agree, the dialogue is fresh and inventive at every turn and the interspirced News segments only help drive home the films central conceit.

Not a showballs chance in hell that anybody would have the balls to chance a modern follow-up with this decade as the target, Hollywood has been mollified to well.

Shine on Paul Verhovan you crazy Dutch talent.

A+

Last edited by Gulli on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:46 pm
Teenage Dream

I could seriously have this film on repeat and never get tired of it.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:16 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I could seriously have this film on repeat and never get tired of it.

ED-209 :biggrin: . I loved the way they used stop motion, very underrated effect in todays CGI world.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 am
Superman: The Movie

Ironically enough, I wrote a review for this, three years ago to the day. Here it is. *It sucks, but it still applies.*

Robocop is a wall to wall action film. The film takes place in Old Detriot where the crime rate is catastrophic, and the police are threating to go on strike. What can the city do to protect itself? Well there were two ideas by business executives (Who are rivals), both involving robot police forces. One is a robot machine that is massive in size, and force, as we come to realize at the beginning of the film where a poor businessman is slaughtered in a test gone wrong. The other is a Robocop, half man, half machine. After the first proposal is rejected (Because of the graphic slaughtering of the executive) the second proposal gets the go ahead, but they have wait until there is a dead police officer to experiment with the building of Robocop.

Enter Murphy (Peter Weller). Murphy is a loving father and husband (As we come to realize in flashbacks) and is new to the Old Detroit police force. He and his new partner Lewis (Nancy Allen) are on duty and get a call about a robbery, and they have to go after the getaway vehicle. This chase leads the two of them into an abandoned wearhouse, which is where the hideout is for the criminals. The two of them decide to split up and go after them. Murphy however is caught in a trap after killing one of the bad guys. Led by the lead antagonist Clarence Boddicker (Kurtwood Smith pre That 70's Show) he and the four other bad guys brutally murder Murphy. Lewis who was knocked out for a brief couple of minutes tried to comeback and save Murphy but she was cut off by a fence, and could only helplessly watch her new partner get murdered.

Later on Murphy's barely surviving body is brought back to the hospital where he immediatley goes into surgery, but is eventually unsucessful. Murphy's body however is the perfect fit to build the Robocop around. What was once fully man, became half man, half machine. The movie from here on out shows Robocop preventing crime in Old Detriot (Crime Rate goes down) and slowly regaining his memory about his past life being Murphy. Once he regains this memory he then seeks revenge on the gang that killed him.

In this Rated X edition (Pre 1990, After 1990 it would be NC-17) the violence is brutal, possibly being the most disturbing violence not to have been in a war movie. The movie was trimmed to a Rated R to avoid the X because of the graphic violence, not sex which would be the case in most of Verheoven's other films. In fact he did make a Rated X equivalent in Showgirls which was released in 1995 and got the NC-17 rating.

However the brutalness of the violence is very effective, as when Murphy is murdered. It is so brutal, that when comes back to life in the form of Robocop, we want to see the bad guys get what's coming to them in the most brutal way. By the end of the film one bad guy is shot, another guy is blown up, another drives into a container of toxic waste and takes a mutilated form and to add on to that is run over by a car, and the last bad guy is slashed in the neck where we see massive amounts of blood spurting. I haven't really ruined the ending to the film by telling you how the bad guy's get what's coming to them, as you probably would figure out that they were going to die seeing as that's what happens in all of these types of movies.

But violence aside, the reason why this film works is because it has heart. We feel for Murphy when he is murdered, even though we have only known him at that point for 10 minutes, and we feel for him when as Robocop he learns about his family. That's what makes the ending to this film so much sweeter. Even though he can't go back to being a full human, everything comes full circle. He gets his revenge.

Not to mention that this film also has a great Sci-Fi/Cop Movie score by Basil Poledouris, whom I had never heard about before watching this film.

This film also introduced America to the direction style of Paul Verheoven, who would later go on to direct the infamous Basic Instinct and Showgirls, and would also direct another great Sci-Fi film in Total Recall. This was his first film in America, and with the gritty violence he certainly made an impact. But once again, violence aside, Verheoven in this movie told a great story through his directing.

Robocop is a gritty Sci-Fi/Cop movie that is in your face, and not taking any prisoners. But underneath all that, there is human aspect to it. It's not just a Rambo type movie. It's different because it has more heart, and that's what makes this a great film.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:00 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I liked it more as an action movie than a sci-fi satire. The violence was suitably brutal and the action was fairly terrific, but the satiric elements were pretty mild and not as biting as I expected. It seemed to work better as a cheesy B-movie than anything else. Murphy's execution scene could be the most gruesome and horrifying scene I've ever seen, not just because of the gore but because of the context. It just disturbed me, something that doesn't happen a lot. Weller is fine - for a cyborg - but this film is all about Kurtwood Smith. Probably one of the best villain performances ever. The rest of the film is fairly mediocre; on the whole, it's entertaining and quotable, but not really deep or meaningful.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 am
You must have big rats

Absolutely awesome, though I am one of those few who actually liked the first sequel too. Verhoeven is a great great filmmaker. I love this, Starship Troopers, Hollow Man and Total Recall. Very violent, very entertaining, but also poignant.

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

I loved it when I was a child. Unfortunately, I can't say the same now. I can't see anything amazing in it, and the last 20/30 minutes are a degrading exaltation of violence.
C+ or 6.5/10

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:09 pm

A

Absolutely awesome, though I am one of those few who actually liked the first sequel too. Verhoeven is a great great filmmaker. I love this, Starship Troopers, Hollow Man and Total Recall. Very violent, very entertaining, but also poignant.

I always felt Part III was better than II. It didn't take itself serious at all, and had some pretty funny scenes. II was just shit.

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Awesome. Number 7 on my top 100 all time list. A+

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:57 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re:
I like balls, in and around my mouth.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump