Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Machinist 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Machinist 
College Boy Z

Post The Machinist
The Machinist

Quote:
The Machinist (also known as El Maquinista) is a 2004 English-language Spanish psychological thriller film directed by Brad Anderson and written by Scott Kosar.

The film stars Christian Bale and features Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Sharian, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, and Michael Ironside. It was produced by the Fantastic Factory label of Filmax and Castelao Productions.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 pm
We had our time together

Bale really looked horrible in this. He gave a good performance. Basically the movie is about him going nuts. B-

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty good, I enjoyed the twist, but it has been done before. Bale did a really good job in the role ( I bet if he knew he was gonna be Batman he wouldve never lost that much wieght for a little movie like this :razz: )

Grade - B

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:42 pm
You must have big rats

Pretty good, I enjoyed the twist, but it has been done before. Bale did a really good job in the role ( I bet if he knew he was gonna be Batman he wouldve never lost that much wieght for a little movie like this :razz: )

Grade - B

I just say Fight Club...*cough* You know what I mean...

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:

Grade - B

I just say Fight Club...*cough* You know what I mean...
Yes, thats it. The movie is still good, it feels like something Hitchcock wouldve made.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:45 am
College Boy Z

Like Kill said, the ending was good, but done before.

What made the movie a lot better than *just* average was Christian Bale's excellent performance. B-

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:06 am
Top Poster

while the mood was very Kafka-esque and Bale is excellent, the movie itself just wasn't very good. C+.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Wow, why had l thought this movie would be so well recieved here? Thought for sure l'd be in the minority when l said it was very, very mediocre. A movie can only try to be Memento for so long before tiring. And the ending has not only been done before, and better, it was rather obvious from the start. Just very, very disappointing.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:10 am
Lord of filth

I just saw no point to it.

If Bale is going to starve himself for a role, he best pick a good one.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

Interestingly enough, l just went and read some other opinions elsewhere, and it turns out the general consensus really is ''movie sucks, bale's good". For the most part.

l have no idea where l got this imaginary ''amazing film'' hype from. l guess it was all pre release opinions or something.

:o

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:59 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I thought it was very mediocre as well.

I just saw no point to it.

If Bale is going to starve himself for a role, he best pick a good one.

Looks like he is on his next movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/
And its directed by Werner Herzog who did Grizzly Man

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:19 pm
Extraordinary

I didn't like it very much but I thought Bale was excellent in this. I'd give... a C+.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:56 pm
You must have big rats

It's actually a very decent movie that suffers from the "been there done that"-syndrom as it had been noted in this thread and therefore makes it ending somewhat predictable as it doesn't really deviate from another famous movie's ending. However, Christian Bale's pitch-perfect performance (American Psycho, Batman Begins, this one...boy, this guy is good!) makes up for that all the way. The movie's dark atmosphere is created by masterful editing, cinematography and lighting as well as good direction. It's a dark movie and a slightly depressing at that. It doesn't come across as very original, but it is still good.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Wow, I'm surprised to see the decidedly mediocre reviews here. I thought for sure that someone would've loved it as much as me. Guess not. Full review:

A somewhat original idea, with an obvious twist, is heightened by a fantastic execution and a brilliant performance. While some may write it off as a rip-off of Fight Club or Memento, I found it to be different enough so that the similarites do not detract from the quality. The tone is quite dark and grim, but the style is exceptionally Hitchcockian, and very well done. The ending is quite easy to see coming, but the lead-up is much better. The slow reveal of the mystery is perfectly done. The only flaw I could see was that it's perhaps a bit slow at times, but that's just the type of movie it is. The story should be drawn out like this.

Bale gives another outstanding performance here. It's amazing how versatile he is. Not only being able to lose 60 pounds for the role, but showing his character slowly dissolving into insanity as well - truly incredible. None of the supporting cast really stands out, but it's not their film. The only performance that matters is the lead one, and it's a great one. Superbly done.

From a technical standpoint, the best part of the movie was the score. The music was truly haunting, and almost alien at times. It really fit well with the movie. The cinematography was also great, along with the editing and direction. They really made the atmosphere quite depressing. The production design is quite low-key, but, again, it fits. The movie has a definite style to it, and it works well.

Overall, a decent story is aided by great execution to make an excellent film. The acting, directing, and music are all outstanding, and the atmosphere is dark, depressing, and effective. Despite obvious comparisons to other twisty movies, this one manages to maintain a sense of individuality, and doesn't become redundant. A movie worthy of Hitchcock himself.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:47 am
Teh Mexican

Anyways, he was great. Good movie

B

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:27 am
Extraordinary

I liked this film. Lots of strange goings on in the film and kudos to Bale for taking acting to a whole new level there.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:46 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The Machinist
Bale is good and the ending is alright, but the trip getting there is a bit rough and turns the film into a merely average production.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I really liked it. I gave it a B.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm
now we know

It's a pretty special movie and I really enjoy it. Bale is on another level here.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]