Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Barton Fink 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Barton Fink 
College Boy Z

Post Barton Fink
Barton Fink

Quote:
Barton Fink is a 1991 American film, written, directed, and produced by the Coen brothers. Set in 1941, it stars John Turturro in the title role as a young New York City playwright who is hired to write scripts for a movie studio in Hollywood, and John Goodman as Charlie, the insurance salesman who lives next door at the run-down Hotel Earle.

The Coens wrote the screenplay in three weeks while experiencing difficulty during the writing of another film, Miller's Crossing. Soon after Miller's Crossing was finished, the Coens began filming Barton Fink, which had its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May 1991. In a rare sweep, Barton Fink won the Palme d'Or prize, as well as awards for Best Director and Best Actor (Turturro). Although it was celebrated almost universally by critics and nominated for three Academy Awards, the movie grossed only $6,000,000 at the box office – two-thirds of its estimated budget.

The process of writing and the culture of entertainment production are two prominent themes of Barton Fink. The world of Hollywood is contrasted with that of Broadway, and the film analyzes superficial distinctions between high culture and low culture. Other themes in the film include fascism and World War II; slavery and conditions of labor in creative industries; and how intellectuals relate to "the common man". Because of its diverse elements, Barton Fink has defied efforts at genre classification. It has been variously referred to as a film noir, a horror film, a Künstlerroman, and a 'buddy' film.

The surreal, abandoned mood of the Hotel Earle was central to the development of the story, and careful deliberation went into its design. There is a sharp contrast between Fink's living quarters and the polished, pristine environs of Hollywood, especially the home of Fink's boss Jack Lipnick. On the wall of Fink's room there hangs a single picture of a woman at the beach; this captures Barton's attention, and the image reappears in the final scene of the film. Although the picture and other elements of the film (including a mysterious box given to Fink by Charlie) appear laden with symbolism, critics disagree over their possible meanings. The Coens have acknowledged some intentional symbolic elements while denying an attempt to communicate some holistic message.

The film contains allusions to many real-life people and events, most notably the writers Clifford Odets and William Faulkner. The characters of Barton Fink and W.P. Mayhew are widely seen as fictional representations of these men, but the Coens stress important differences. They have also admitted to parodying film magnates like Louis B. Mayer, but they note that Fink's agonizing tribulations in Hollywood are not meant to reflect their own experiences.

Barton Fink was influenced by several earlier works, including the films of Roman Polanski, particularly Repulsion (1965) and The Tenant (1976). Other movies that influenced Barton Fink are Stanley Kubrick's 1980 film The Shining and Sullivan's Travels (1941) by filmmaker Preston Sturges. The Coens' movie also contains a number of literary allusions, to works by William Shakespeare, John Keats and Flannery O'Connor. Several religious overtones also appear, including references to the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament, King Nebuchadnezzar and Bathsheba.

Wed May 31, 2006 6:01 am
Teenage Dream

Yet another Coens' masterpiece.

Wed May 31, 2006 12:46 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Barton Fink
I can't even remember what I rated this. I liked it though. I think it was a B or possibly a B-. Nothing higher or lower.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

Quite possibly the Coens most introspective, yet most interesting work. I'll admit after the viewing I knew I wasn't grasping all they were saying, but I read some more on the internet and it all came through.

It's pretty fucking brilliant how the first 2/3s contrasts the last act and ties into the satire on Hollywood... in the first 2/3s, nothing really happens, it's just Barton sitting around in his apartment wrestling with his mind, unable to find his meaning. There's no plot at all. This is totally contradictary to the Hollywood model, in other words, it's what populates Barton's eventual script. He trys to find inspiration, but all he hears is "consult another writer". He thinks he does in Mayhew, but secretly he's a phony. Then, Barton consults Audrey, the other writer who knows the Hollywood model and can get the plot going for him. Thus, the movie instantly shifts into the Hollywood model of a typical murder mystery/serial killer story. This is complete a good guy turned bad twist, the overly snarky cops, and a best of all, a huge fiery action climax with surreal stage-like fire, with the hero being saved by a guy bending metal with his bare hands. In other words, it's a huge satire of the Hollywood assembly factory, and the Coens are shoving it to them while displaying their own demention with trying to create outside of it.

It also reaches a whole new level of meta and self-perspection when you consider that like Fellini, this was written in a period where they had writer's block and couldn't finish their script for Miller's Crossing. Barton pretty much is them, right down to the same Jew with bad hair and glasses appearance and demeanour. Barton's inability to write in the Hollywood model represents theirs... and this movie is their release of that inner turmoil, similar to 8 1/2. Perhaps the Coens realized after making this film that like Barton, they were too concerned with making a difference and making something important, they were acting too self-important without listening to anyone, thus stopping their ability to write. So as the character is realized as a self-centered hack, the Coens release their pressure on themselves and move on.

It's also interesting that this movie is chalk full of references to other films and such, the hotel is like the Shining, the director sitting poolside is from a lot of movies, Buscemi's bellboy seems to run down the formula of people in that role, etc. (there's some more from movies that I haven't seen like Polanski's The Tenant, that I picked up on later) The woman on the beach... I think she represents the idealized Hollywood picture of beauty, which is why Barton assumes she's an actress. I also think that in the final shot when Barton is looking at the woman on the beach, this time in real life instead of the hotel room, it represents that his inner demention is ongoing, and exists even away from the room or the typewriter. He may be out of the hotel room, but he will never be out of his head. Or something like that. This movie can be interpreted a lot of different ways, I've read a pretty good one that says the entire third act is imagined, it's simply him trying to come up with stuff and doing it by twisting the ordinary and bland people he knows into Hollywood-ized figures and storylines, and when he's looking at the woman at the end, he's looking at the picture. I think what the Coens are saying comes out either way, though.

Punctuating everything is the masterful direction and acting. John Turturro gives one of his best performances in one of his best roles, Goodman, Mahoney, Davis are all truly excellent. Deakins' cinematography is as great as ever, the long gaping shots of the hallway and the Coens' usage of the damp, enclosing room itself is simply perfect.

Without a doubt, a total masterpiece. Quite possibly the Coens' best and one of the best movies I've seen.

5/5

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

Such great performances. Turturro and Goodman really shine here, they make those characters seem so real. Beautifully shot. I think this is a sadly overlooked masterpiece.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This may end up being one of my favorite Coen Bros. films. Turturro and Goodman are just aces here and although it is a very light film, it is so damn entertaining. Just a great comedic film with good ol' Coen Bros. touch.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This is a very clever and inspired film, but I must admit, I am almost never in the mood to revisit it, whereas I return again and again and again to films such as Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 am
loyalfromlondon

Definitely one of the most layered and fascinating Coen Bros. pictures, along with No Country and A Serious Man.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm
The Kramer

The final Coen bros movie! For me anyways, I've now completed my card.

Surprisingly well-written for a story about writers block. At least in terms of dialogue. I think the story got lost somewhere along the way. There's really no build up to the reveal that John Goodman is the devil. It just felt like something had to happen in the story at that point, so why not go ahead and kill the only women in the picture?

The Coens bring their usual style and their actors bring their usual A-game though. This is basically just a bonus movie too, one that would never exist if not for writers block itself. So I'll give it a B.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:51 pm
The Kramer

Big list time!

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Miller's Crossing
3. The Hudsucker Proxy
4. True Grit
5. Hail Caesar
6. No Country For Old Men
7. Inside Llewyn Davis
(Bridge of Spies)
8. Fargo
9. Raising Arizona
10. O Brother Where Art Thou?
11. The Ballad of Buster Suggs
12. A Serious Man
13. Barton Fink
14. Burn After Reading
15. The Man Who Wasn't There
(The Tragedy of Macbeth)
16. The Ladykillers
17. Intolerable Cruelty
18. Blood Simple

I think I got them all. I guess I still need to see Crimewave. I know they didn't direct it, but it looks cool.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]