Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Closer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 18 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 30

Closer 
College Boy Z

Post Closer
Closer

Quote:
Closer is a 2004 drama film written by Patrick Marber, based on his award-winning 1997 play of the same name. It was produced and directed by Mike Nichols and stars Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Jude Law and Clive Owen. The film, like the play on which it is based, has been seen by some as a modern and tragic version of Mozart's opera Così fan tutte, with references to that opera in both the plot and the soundtrack. Owen starred in the play as Dan, the role assumed by Law in the film.

The film was recognized with a number of awards and nominations, including Oscar nominations and Golden Globe wins for both Portman and Owen for their performances in supporting roles.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:06 pm
Sbil

Hope to see it tomorrow night. Will have my review up then.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:56 pm
Teenage Dream

I want to see this movie so bad, but living in a city owned by the Christian Coalition will probably prevent that from happening.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:22 pm
life begins now

I'll probably see it next weekend. It's playing in 3 or 4 theaters near me, but I'm just too busy this weekend.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

BOM grades it F :shock:

They also gave Raise your Voice a B+(although its not the worst movie)
Scott Hollaran or whoever is a fuckin idiot

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:02 pm
Sbil

The BOM reviewer is also a super right-wing conservative, though. It's not that surprising.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:23 pm
You must have big rats

Riggs27 wrote:

The BOM reviewer is also a super right-wing conservative, though. It's not that surprising.

No, I actually think he has no taste when it comes to movies. You don't need to be a conservative or a liberal to realize that ROTK (B) is better than Raise your Voice (B+) and Garfield (B+).

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Libs wrote:
Riggs27 wrote:

No, I actually think he has no taste when it comes to movies. You don't need to be a conservative or a liberal to realize that ROTK (B) is better than Raise your Voice (B+) and Garfield (B+).

Absolutely Right (TM)

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

It's hard to review this film. For the most part, people go to the movies to enjoy themselves. But there is little, if anything, to be enjoyed in this film.

The acting is good. But so was the acting in the hit London play this film is based on. What then separates the film from the play? For that matter, if the recipe for success is that simple, why isn't every hit play automatically turned into a film. The answer of course is that success is not that simple. The directing is sufficient in Closer, though nothing spectacular. The cinematography certainly doesn't break new ground. It's all by the book, a paint by number film disguised in a golden fleece.

I don't know who the audience is for this film. It's too "aren't we cool for having America's Sweetheart talk about the taste of semen" for most people. It also jumps back and forward in time without providing proper guidance. It lacks a sense of urgency or authority that usually comes with Oscar season films. And it's with that urgency that films can rise above risqué subject matter (Kinsey for example) and connect with general audiences.

Two scenes are burnt into my mind and they happen back to back near the third act of Closer. One involves Dan breaking up with Alice. I remember having almost the exact same conversation with my ex. And I remember her having the same reaction as Alice.

Then there's the scene between Larry and Anna. Once again, I had almost the same inquisitive fury as Larry. I asked the same painful questions.

If we wanted to remember those horrible moments of love, we would have recorded them for prosperity, instead of paying $8.00 to see Hollywood actors play against type to recreate the moments for us.

C

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:34 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
OK you have seen the movie. I agree the movie as a whole wasn't as good as parts but what did you think o some of the individual scenes. I didn't read anything about it and during it I said, this seems so much like a play and then at the end I saw it was.

One scene with Portman and Owens in the strip club. I thought that scene was fascinating.

In Closer, there are so many scenes between all 4 characters that everyone had a chance to get in some meaty scenes.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
OK you have seen the movie. I agree the movie as a whole wasn't as good as parts but what did you think o some of the individual scenes. I didn't read anything about it and during it I said, this seems so much like a play and then at the end I saw it was.

One scene with Portman and Owens in the strip club. I thought that scene was fascinating.

The acting is really good in Closer, some of the scenes are also very good, including the strip club scene. It's just, as a whole, the film isn't very cinematic. I'm curious how Madden's Proof adaptation turned out.

I gave it an C based on the acting. I really don't understand some of the F grades. I would never go as far as to give this film an F. That's out of control critiquing. I think an F is a rare grade that should be used with great responsibility.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:50 pm
You must have big rats

This is gonna become a definite love or hate movie for years to come.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The way I describe this movie is, it's like Seinfeld, except it's less funny (I know it's not supposed to be) and it's not brilliant in any way whatsoever. The way it's like Seinfeld is, it's about nothing and every single character has a relationship problem.

Closer has a great 30 minute opening, and then it just tails off. The acting is great, but I didn't care about the characters, and the direction and cinematography is decent but nothing remarkable.

Also, this is going to sound odd, but even though I liked the ending, I was expecting someone to get shot (Or at least this is how I thought it should've happened). This has nothing to do with me seeing too many movies with action in it. I just think this probably could've solved the characters problems very quickly and easily and would've been more enjoyable to watch. :D

Finally, after seeing this movie, I have no idea how this movie can get any Oscar nominations now, except for Best Screenplay. As I said before, the acting is great, but there is no one standout performance by any of the actors. And as I said before, the same could be said with the directing.

This is one of the biggest disappointments of 2004. The only good thing was that I got to see the full trailer for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which looks like it's going to be a great film.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

Personally, I don't think it's important enough of a movie to remain in people's minds for years to come.

Email me in 2010 and let me know if it made any top 10 of the decade lists.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:38 am
I couldn't agree with Loyal more.

The way I describe this movie is, it's like Seinfeld, except it's less funny (I know it's not supposed to be) and it's not brilliant in any way whatsoever. The way it's like Seinfeld is, it's about nothing and every single character has a relationship problem.

Closer has a great 30 minute opening, and then it just tails off. The acting is great, but I didn't care about the characters, and the direction and cinematography is decent but nothing remarkable.

Also, this is going to sound odd, but even though I liked the ending, I was expecting someone to get shot (Or at least this is how I thought it should've happened). This has nothing to do with me seeing too many movies with action in it. I just think this probably could've solved the characters problems very quickly and easily and would've been more enjoyable to watch. :D

Finally, after seeing this movie, I have no idea how this movie can get any Oscar nominations now, except for Best Screenplay. As I said before, the acting is great, but there is no one standout performance by any of the actors. And as I said before, the same could be said with the directing.

This is one of the biggest disappointments of 2004. The only good thing was that I got to see the full trailer for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which looks like it's going to be a great film.

C

I understand you completely. I also thought it was weird that no violence was exchanged between Dan and Larry. For a movie that attempts to be so grounded in the reality of relationships, they somehow avoid any real violence. And Brits do fight for love.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:43 am
Sbil

Closer is a very strong film, one of the year's best. Although it is clearly not for everyone (witness all those who went in expecting some sort of feel-good film and then cited it as a failure), those who do see it and are able to appreciate and understand it will also likely find it to be a very good film. Among the cast, Julia Roberts (with the possible exception of Erin Brockovich) has never been better. The actress plays her role to near perfection. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman are both tremendous. Neither has given a more succint, focused performance, and Portman especially impresses. Jude Law, although strong, is not in the same league as the other three actors, perhaps because he has been better before. Closer receives a strong adaptation, and this is likely one of Mike Nichols' strongest films. A.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:37 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Closer is a very strong film, one of the year's best. Although it is clearly not for everyone (witness all those who went in expecting some sort of feel-good film and then cited it as a failure), those who do see it and are able to appreciate and understand it will also likely find it to be a very good film. Among the cast, Julia Roberts (with the possible exception of Erin Brockovich) has never been better. The actress plays her role to near perfection. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman are both tremendous. Neither has given a more succint, focused performance, and Portman especially impresses. Jude Law, although strong, is not in the same league as the other three actors, perhaps because he has been better before. Closer receives a strong adaptation, and this is likely one of Mike Nichols' strongest films. A.

Basically, I agree on the above.

For me, I think the reason that I have applauded Portman and Owens so much is that I expected Roberts and Law to be the stars and MY focus but I was really impressed and partly BLOWN away by Portman and Owens. I haven't seen much of Owens before but for both of them I thought this is the best that I have seen of them. That said, I still feel that Roberts and Law did great jobs as there were no weak links in this movie.

On MIke NIchols', for anyone who doesn't know, here is a listing of some of his movies: Angels in America - the tv series, The Graduate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Silkwood, Primary Colors, The Birdcage, Working Girl, among others.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen much of Owens

Check out Croupier and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, both Mike Hodge films.

Nichols also directed What Planet Are You From and Wolf :lol:

But he somehow managed to direct two of my all time favorite films, Regarding Henry and Biloxi Blues (plus the Graduate).

Go figure

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:41 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Personally, I don't think it's important enough of a movie to remain in people's minds for years to come.

Email me in 2010 and let me know if it made any top 10 of the decade lists.

The Blair Witch Project will never make any top 10 of the decade and yet people will remember it in 10 years. :)

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Closer is an interesting look at relationships gone awry. The story isn't told step by step, and the film definitely makes you think a bit. But I thought it was a very good movie, elevated even more so by strong performances and excellent direction from Mike Nichols.

A-

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I thought the movie was fantastic, one of the year's best films. The cast didn't fail to impresse me. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman, who I rarely see on screen really impressed me and I can see them both getting Oscar nods. Roberts and Law are both very good as well but not as good as the other 2.

- A

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:06 am
life begins now

I saw it today. Very good, definently in my top 5 for the year. Natalie Portman was the best in it, giving an absolutely stunning performance. Julia Roberts was second, with one of her best ever. Clive was good, and Jude was also, but not on par with the other three. I especially liked the twist at the end. I don't think this will get a picture nomination at the Oscars, but it deserves to. 3 of the four, minus Jude, deserve nominations. Overall, great movie with fantastic performances. A.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:10 pm
Profile YIM
Site Owner

B+

KJ

Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next