Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Harold and Maude 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Harold and Maude 
College Boy Z

Post Harold and Maude
Harold and Maude

Quote:
Harold and Maude is a 1971 American comedy film directed by Hal Ashby and released by Paramount Pictures. It incorporates elements of dark humor and existentialist drama, with a plot that revolves around the exploits of a young man intrigued with death, Harold (played by Bud Cort). Harold drifts away from the life that his detached mother prescribes for him, and develops a relationship with an old woman named Maude (played by Ruth Gordon).

The screenplay upon which the film was based was written by Colin Higgins, and published as a novel in 1971. The movie was shot in the San Francisco Bay Area. Harold and Maude was also a play on Broadway for some time. A French adaptation for television, translated and written by Jean-Claude Carrière, appeared in 1978. It was adapted for the stage and performed in Québec, starring Roy Dupuis.

The film is ranked number 45 on the American Film Institute's list of 100 Funniest Movies of all Time, and was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1997 for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The film was a commercial flop in its original release, but it has since developed a large cult following.

Sun May 07, 2006 10:32 am
Extraordinary

Love it! Saw it about a dozen times at the rep cinemas back in the day...

Sun May 07, 2006 12:25 pm
You must have big rats

It's very good, actually. It's a rather unusual, but still poignant film. My grade might increase with further viewings. Both lead performances (Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort) are exceptional and deserved Oscar noms for each. The movie's well-paced, filled with some macabre humor at times and carries a wonderful message. Especially teenagers and young adults would be able to at least partially identify themselves with the film's main character. My only real problem was probably the lack of chemistry between the two leads, even though both delivered great turns on their own. The movie also had a really nice soundtrack and some beautiful camera shots (like the slow zoom-out of the cemetary).

Sun May 14, 2006 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Harold and Maude
For any of ya old school fans of H&M, ya just gotta check out the updated version in Charlie Bartlett...

Highly recommended. <----- (Period.)

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:59 am
Extraordinary

One of my all time faves. I used to paint decomposing bodies with flowers growing out of them. I thought I was so original. Then I saw this movie, and realized Maude did it first.

A

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 pm
Cream of the Crop

Just saw this a few days ago. Beautiful love/life story, filled with some delicious dark humor, that had certainly an impact in future filmmakers. And Maude is just one of that "bigger than life" characters. I understand the cult completely.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]