Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Thelma & Louise 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Thelma & Louise 
College Boy Z

Post Thelma & Louise
Thelma & Louise

Quote:
Thelma & Louise is a 1991 film co-produced and directed by Ridley Scott and written by Callie Khouri, the film's plot revolves around Thelma and Louise's escape from their troubled and caged lives. It stars Geena Davis as Thelma and Susan Sarandon as Louise, and co-stars Harvey Keitel as a sympathetic detective trying to trace them as they go on the run after killing a rapist. Michael Madsen plays the role of Louise's boyfriend. Brad Pitt (in his first significant film role) plays a robber out on parole.

Thelma & Louise became an instant critical and commercial success, receiving six Academy Award nominations and winning one for Best Original Screenplay (Khouri). Both Sarandon and Davis were nominated for their roles in the same category, Academy Award for Best Actress. However, the two lost the award to Jodie Foster for her role in The Silence of the Lambs.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:32 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

One of the best movies of the 90s imo. Thelma & Louise is not about men vs women, it's about freedom and is much more universal than most people think. Susan Sarandon and Gena Davis were both fantastic and one would be hard-pressed to pick one over the other.

A

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Talk about a man hating movie. I was utterly shocked when at the time when people were actually cheering that Thelma I believe killed her husband and for what reason? Just because he was verbally abusive to her. Somewhat decent movie though although its a very distorted view on feminism

B

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:06 pm
Sbil

I was only about 11 or so when this came out, but I remember my mom and all of her girlfriends freaking out about this movie and its awesomeness when it came out.

I finally saw it on video a few years later and understood the fuss. Pretty amazing movie, and Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon are tremendous. The ending is also pretty iconic (how many times has the final shot of their hands locked together been parodied?).

A

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:14 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

I was only about 11 or so when this came out, but I remember my mom and all of her girlfriends freaking out about this movie and its awesomeness when it came out.

I finally saw it on video a few years later and understood the fuss. Pretty amazing movie, and Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon are tremendous. The ending is also pretty iconic (how many times has the final shot of their hands locked together been parodied?).

A

At least a dozen times by me and my friends. :shades:

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I put this movie on after finding it in an old cabinet. I'd heard of it, but for some reason had it mistaken for a ... comedy? Anyway, I skimmed the back, thought it sounded like a fun movie, was in the mood for something lighthearted. I told one of my friends and he informed that it was rather depressing.

Anyway I watched it, and ... yeah loved it. Probably one of the best movies of the 90's easily. Sarandon and Davis are simply amazing. Everything about the film is really just amazing, and the ending...

A

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:40 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re:
El Murato wrote:
I was utterly shocked when at the time when people were actually cheering that Thelma I believe killed her husband and for what reason? Just because he was verbally abusive to her.

Um, Louise kills a guy who was trying to rape Thelma. That's... significantly different.

Regardless, I agree with your general point. Every man in the film - save for Harvey Keitel - is a caricature, either a chauvinist or a womanizer (or frequently both), and it rings totally false. Maybe this is just how things are in the American South, or perhaps the film is exaggerating for the purposes of drama, but whatever the case, I didn't buy it. The truck driver is perhaps the most glaring example of this, a character created simply for the purposes of feminist catharsis. I have no problem with depicting feminine escape from a patriarchal world, but at least make that world believable.

Anyway, it's still pretty solid despite this, if not exactly ground-breaking. I do wish Scott's impressive visual eye had been utilized more, instead of being chopped to ribbons by the haphazard editing. There's a particular shot, where the T-bird is being chased across the desert by a legion of cop cars, that's stunning, and it's cut far too short. Other scenes seem to end before the dialogue is finished - a truly bizarre occurrence in Hollywood cinema. The film needed to slow down and open up - especially at the end, which happens far too quickly. Still effective, but not as much as it could've been.

So I liked it, but it's not that great.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 am
Sbil

Post Re: Thelma & Louise

Possibly my favorite movie ending of all time. The definition of bittersweet.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm
Pure Phase

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:09 pm
Keeping it Light

It's quite the thrilling action-drama with strong lead performances. Scott shows strong craftmanship navigating the story of Thelma & Louise on the run by keeping things light and pulsating at the same time. It's easily one of the more engaging films of the early 90's, the cinematography and soundtrack are both excellent too. Only the part with the trucker comes across as unnecessary and maybe farfetched to me, but that's just a small blip. The ending of the film is definitely one that leaves an imprint.

A-

Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]