Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank; Mother Dies 
Extraordinary

Post Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank; Mother Dies
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/8529161/detail.html

Quote:
DETROIT -- A 6-year-old boy's 911 call for help was thought to be a prank, but the call was real and the boy's mother died, Local 4 reported.

Robert Turner (pictured) called 911 to get help for his mother, Sherel Turner, 46, whom he found lying unconscious on the kitchen floor of their Detroit apartment in February, the station reported.

"Then I had felt her tummy. She wasn't breathing. Then I had called 911," said Robert. "I told them to send an emergency truck right now."

911 Operator: "911. What's the problem?"

Robert: "My mom has passed out."

The 911 operator, however, did not take him seriously and told him to stop playing on the phone, the station reported.

911 Operator: "Where's the grownups at?"

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "Let me speak to her before I send the police over there."

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," said Robert to Local 4.

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "I don't care. You shouldn't be playing on the phone. Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

Robert: "Ugh!" (Hangs up.)

Kimberly Harris, the union president of AFSCME Local 1023, said more than a quarter of phone calls received by 911 operators are prank calls. She also said that everybody does not express their pain or emergencies the same way.

"That operator could have had five prank calls. Kids calling in prior to that call. And please, don't think that I am trying to make an excuse. That was a tragedy," said Harris.

Officials said the 911 operator will be disciplined, but because of her years of service she will not be fired.

"I know that operator. I know that she is a very good operator," said Harris. "She is very thorough.

Robert said every time someone talks about his mother, he starts crying.

Police continue to investigate.

:| Stupid biatch. Making an excuse why she thought it was a prank, give me a break.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:09 am
You must have big rats

Hopefully the family will sue her for an amount that she will have to pay off for the rest of her life. But maybe...maaayyybe, she'll get in jail (hopefully).

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

That just might fuck this kid up for life.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am
New Server, Same X

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:23 am
Site Owner

Why sue her, she ain't got no damn money. Sue the city or the state. Kid will get MILLIONS.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/10/911.l ... index.html

of particular interest is this

Quote:
At a news conference announcing the filing of the suit, Fieger said Robert Turner's case is not the only one.

He played another 911 tape from January 12, 2005, in which a woman who had been shot in the head by her husband called 911.

On the tape, the operator can be heard asking the woman if she has a mental problem and then asking that the husband who shot the woman be put on the phone. Rescuers did not come until a third call was placed by the woman's son, who lives out of state.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:46 pm
The French Dutch Boy

That was incredibly irresponsible of the 911 Operator. Aren't they supposed to take each and every call extremely seriously, regardless? Even then, there was absolutely no sign or anything to indicate that it was a prank call. Really stupid, and it came at the cost of someone's life.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:47 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I guess parents could forget about teaching their kids to dial 911 for emergencies. You now have to be 14 years of age to be taken seriously

Not only that, the little kid's dream of being a hero was broken too. The news would of reported a happy ending about a 6 year old boy saves mother by calling 911.

The problem is the phone operator doesnt take her job seriously. She was prbably just resting her head on her hand. Thats the same way with customer service, its no wonder that job is moved to India

Last edited by El Maskado on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:52 pm
Orphan

That stupid bitch should be jailed for life and the kid should get millions from the state who was dumb enough to hire such incompetence. Morons.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:55 pm
Commander and Chef

I guess parents could forget about teaching their kids to dial 911 for emergencies. You now have to be 14 years of age to be taken seriously

no, you have to be ove 14 AND MALE to be taken seriously. Didn't you read this?

Quote:
At a news conference announcing the filing of the suit, Fieger said Robert Turner's case is not the only one.

He played another 911 tape from January 12, 2005, in which a woman who had been shot in the head by her husband called 911.

On the tape, the operator can be heard asking the woman if she has a mental problem and then asking that the husband who shot the woman be put on the phone. Rescuers did not come until a third call was placed by the woman's son, who lives out of state.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I wonder if theres an incident where the operator hangs up on a caller in distress because she cant understand what the guy is saying through his thick accent. That would be something. "Speak english or Im hanging up sir. Where did she shoot you at?"

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:01 pm
Speed Racer

How the hell is she not going to be fired? She most likely ended up costing somebody their life. If that's not something worth firing someone for, I don't know what is.

Fucking bitch needs to go to jail, much less not even lose her job.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, that's pathetic. Her job is the very least she should've lost.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:09 pm
Commander and Chef

a lot of my friends work in call centers. a lot of them work in customer support, or just support in general. honestly, i'm not going to be too quick to blame the woman until i know the facts. yes, what happened was inexcusable but i can't tell if the blame lies with the woman or the agency itself.

my friends are penalized during customer support for spending too much time on the phone. some are rewarded for the number of calls they handle in a day. some have guide lines on what to say, what not to say, and almost all of them (which is why i'm not so quick to judge) is how to handle different types of calls. we must assume right now that the 911 response service, as admitted in the article, does not treat all calls equally. so the way i see it, the woman followed the guideline and skipped this particular call.

the liability here lies with the way the emergency response is run itself. sadly, it looks like you can't sue the city but can sue the person only, for which the city is liable for. sadness.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I agree with baBA, methinks. The situation is a catch 22. An operator could take every call seriously, no matter what, and send aid to all callers. However, that would result in a waste of time and resources. Or, they take the system now, and try to subjectify each call and sort out the ones who are bullshit. But as we see, that results in the risk of potential life. I'm not saying it's not a tragedy, but this is a situation where nothing can really be fixed. If operators were obliged to send aid to every caller no matter what, I'm sure taxpayers would be at least upset that it is incredibly unefficient. And then there is the possibility that, since that system would result in a no boundaries emergency relief, people would be calling in for the most ridiculous of things. Evne under the current system, I heard a video or read a story or something online in which a woman demanded that a police officer come to a local Burger King type place and make sure her order was cooked right.

Catch 22.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

While I don't think her response was appropiate, you guys are being completely unfair.

He found her lying on the floor, she wasn't breathing...so we don't even know how long she had been there for. It sounds to me like the chances anything could have been done to prevent her death are pretty much non-existent.

and what about idiots who DO call 911 just for the fun of it? If they spend time responding to EVERY single call, most of which are either non emergency calls or prank calls altogether that takes away people/time who could be working on REAL emergencies.

And there's no audio. you can't get anything from a transcript of the phone call...maybe the way it sounded she had more than reasonable reason to believe it was a prank. It's easy to judge when you're not in someone else's shoes, and when you know the outcome.

Best Actress 2008

Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I didn't think little kids prank called 9-11 anymore. Schools are putting a lot an effort torward educating this through special speakers, posters, and lessons.

I feel terrible for that kid. I also feel bad for the operator, who was probably having a bad day and now will be looked down on for the rest of her life. Not to mention she has to live with knowing that she had a hand in that kid's mother's death.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 pm
Mod Team Leader

Sorry Baba, I too work in a call center and we are trained that even if someone sounds like they are in distress, to transfer them to 911...and I work for friggin Bell Mobility!!! There is no excuse for her behaviour. Even if she did have 4 previous prank calls, it is her job, it is her duty, it is her oath to take every call as sserious as a heart attack. This woman cost someone his mom's life. There is no excuse for what she did. None whatsoever. My job is not life and death scenarios. Someoen loses their phone, big fuckin deal, no one dies. But in her job, she makes the wrong decision and someone dies. Therefore every call should be taken serious. She should be fired and the kind should sue for millions. :mad:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Sorry Baba, I too work in a call center and we are trained that even if someone sounds like they are in distress, to transfer them to 911...and I work for friggin Bell Mobility!!! There is no excuse for her behaviour. Even if she did have 4 previous prank calls, it is her job, it is her duty, it is her oath to take every call as sserious as a heart attack. This woman cost someone his mom's life. There is no excuse for what she did. None whatsoever. My job is not life and death scenarios. Someoen loses their phone, big fuckin deal, no one dies. But in her job, she makes the wrong decision and someone dies. Therefore every call should be taken serious. She should be fired and the kind should sue for millions. :mad:

Dan

See .. thats the difference. You just said that you're trained to do something like that. Means your organization is working the way it should! I know countless people working in call centers where they are explicitly told the following:

a) If there is a first time claim, give them a ticket number and don't do anything about it .. ever. till they call back.
b) 2nd time call, tell them to expect this done by next week. Don't do anything.

Hell, I have a riend who worked at a call center who was told the following. if the client gets too aggressive on the phone, scream back at them cause some people get scared and never call. if they continue, make sure you don't give your name and just hang up without even saying bye. Just cut them off. This is so the next time they call back, they don't know who the person was so they can't take action. it is mentioned that the 2nd tier support is busy and will call them back. the call comes rarely.

again, i never said someone isn't accountable. what i'm saying is that what we have in front of us doesn't tell us if this action was taking independantly by this one woman or if instructions have been provided by the organization to filter what they believe may be prank calls. From the looks of it, the other woman who asked for the woman to speak to her husband (the woman who got shot) shows a pattern that these people are mandated to filter out calls. Hence, i don't k now if the woman herself is to blame or the way 911 emergency call center is run. there is however, definetely someone to blame.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Dan

See .. thats the difference. You just said that you're trained to do something like that. Means your organization is working the way it should! I know countless people working in call centers where they are explicitly told the following:

a) If there is a first time claim, give them a ticket number and don't do anything about it .. ever. till they call back.
b) 2nd time call, tell them to expect this done by next week. Don't do anything.

Hell, I have a riend who worked at a call center who was told the following. if the client gets too aggressive on the phone, scream back at them cause some people get scared and never call. if they continue, make sure you don't give your name and just hang up without even saying bye. Just cut them off. This is so the next time they call back, they don't know who the person was so they can't take action. it is mentioned that the 2nd tier support is busy and will call them back. the call comes rarely.

What the hell kind of call center does your friend work for? I've worked in a call center now for close to a year, and any of the behavior you listed above is cause for immediate termination.

As for the story at hand, I sort of agree with you that it's unfair for us to judge exactly what happened without knowing everything behind it. Sure, the easy thing for us is to just condem this woman as a murder, but you have to consider all of other variables before jumping to a conclusion. What if the 911 call center she works for has a strict policy regarding dispatching units to a prank call (which I'm sure they do)? Should she fly in the face of everything that she's learned in her years on the job and risk losing it just incase? It's an unfortunate situation, yeah. But it's not fair to condem this woman, either.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

Dan

What the hell kind of call center does your friend work for? I've worked in a call center now for close to a year, and any of the behavior you listed above is cause for immediate termination.

As for the story at hand, I sort of agree with you that it's unfair for us to judge exactly what happened without knowing everything behind it. Sure, the easy thing for us is to just condem this woman as a murder, but you have to consider all of other variables before jumping to a conclusion. What if the 911 call center she works for has a strict policy regarding dispatching units to a prank call (which I'm sure they do)? Should she fly in the face of everything that she's learned in her years on the job and risk losing it just incase? It's an unfortunate situation, yeah. But it's not fair to condem this woman, either.

who said anything about 'a friend'. Countless friends in countless call centers dude. most of them are in credit cards, insurance, business directories and what not. i worked at a call center where the script explicitly asked me to tell the potential client that they already had a subscription with the thing and you're renewing it, when they clearly didn't.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
bABA wrote:

Dan

who said anything about 'a friend'. Countless friends in countless call centers dude. most of them are in credit cards, insurance, business directories and what not. i worked at a call center where the script explicitly asked me to tell the potential client that they already had a subscription with the thing and you're renewing it, when they clearly didn't.

Canananada must have some effed up call center policies. I know three people that work at three different call centers here (Sprint, FTD, and Capital One), and all of the behavior you've listed are huge no no's.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:21 pm
I just lost the game

baBA: There's a BIG fuck difference between credit card calling centers and 911.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:36 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

:-k Whether the 911 Dispatcher felt deep down it was a prank, he or she should've covered their ass and disaptched someone anyway in the event it wasn't a prank.. Pretty much, the family will acquire a high dollar lawyer and sue the hell out of the police dept and 911 and win to..

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next