Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Curse of the Jade Scorpion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

College Boy Z

Post The Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Quote:
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion is a 2001 American film written, directed by, and starring Woody Allen. The cast also features Dan Aykroyd, Elizabeth Berkley, Helen Hunt, John Schuck, Wallace Shawn, David Ogden Stiers, and Charlize Theron. The plot concerns an insurance investigator and an efficiency expert who are both hypnotized by a crooked hypnotist into stealing jewels. The movie bears much more in common with Allen's earlier screwball comedy films than with other films made by him around the same time.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:45 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Really funny Woody Allen picture, with some great one-liners, a good (if standard for Woody) jazzy score and beautiful set design.

The major flaw is that, yes, the Woody/Helen Hunt falls as flat as a screen romance can. And I loved Charlize Theron's look as the Lauren Bacall-esque femme fatale; I just wish she's been given something to do.

But it's awfully funny, and Woody's character is one of his more endearing. It's a just-for-fun picture, but it sure is fun.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:59 am
On autopilot for the summer

I enjoyed this and Smalltime Crooks as Allen's work I've liked in a while. It was great to see the amazing Helen Hunt in one of her last theatrical roles for quite sometime. It was some good times, not great though.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:41 am
Sbil

Very bland and lacking in actual humor. Everyone seems bored except for the massively underused Charlize Theron, whose scenes were the only ones to brighten up the production at all.

C-

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:31 pm
Veteran

Very bland and lacking in actual humor. Everyone seems bored except for the massively underused Charlize Theron, whose scenes were the only ones to brighten up the production at all.

C-

Perfectly said. I agree with every word and the grade.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:06 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I'll just copy my review from another thread:

Admittedly, this is not one of Allen's strongest written works, but I liked it a lot. The interaction between Helen Hunt and Woody Allen's character is priceless and this movie has some of the best one-liners of all Allen flicks, seriously. I laughed out loud quite a couple of times.

Of course, ultimately the story is cheesy and the ending is pretty corny, but it is still quite an enjoyable movie with a nice twist to it and as I mentioned above, Hunt and Allen are great and the way Allen parodies film noir (with Charlie Theron's femme fatale) is great too. The movie lacks the social commentary of most Allen films, but it does very well without it, being the pure fun flick it is supposed to be.

It's just a good comedy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]