Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 16 Blocks 

What grade would you give this film?
A 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

16 Blocks 
Sbil

Post 16 Blocks
16 Blocks

Quote:
16 Blocks is a 2006 crime thriller film directed by Richard Donner and released by Warner Bros. It was released in the United States on March 3, 2006. The main characters are played by Bruce Willis, Mos Def, and David Morse. The film is shot in the "real time" narration method.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:39 pm
College Boy Z

Solid action flick. It wasn't "action-packed," but it was funny, suspensful (at times), and darn entertaining. I didn't expect much from the film, to be honest, but I liked it a lot.

B

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:45 am
Extraordinary

I was happy to get out tonight to see Bruce's annual "cop movie" and as usual was not disappointed.

Nicely paced by the old master, Richard Donner - the story keeps up a good pace for an old-timer, and even though it gets winded from time to time, it chugs along nicely right to the end.

David Morse seems to be getting better and better - look for him to break out of all the secondary character roles he's toiled in - I see an Oscar in his future. And Mos Def was fun as usual.

Good old fashioned moviemakin' here...

4 out of 5.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:31 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

1. Mos Def voice was fucking annoying in this movie

2. > see hidden spoiler below

[spoil]I know that he was a friend but it seemed pretty stupid that David Morse wouldn't kill him in that ?? parking garage or alley way when they were alone rather than let him go into the court house where he would have to be shot by another cop in front of everyone.[/spoil]

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

SomyfriendsandIwenttoseethistoday..onewantedtosee Aquamarine,butweslappedhertillshehadsense.(Notreally.)

Anyway,itwasslowatsomepointsbutIenjoyedit.Moreactionwould'vebeennice,butitwasagoodmovie.B!

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:53 pm
Kypade

pretty gud, the short black main character is by far the most annoying man alive. or, at least, has the most annoying voice alive.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

One major plothole:

[spoil]If Morse knew the whole time that Willis was one of the 6 guilty cops(which he did), the early dialouge and actions would've been much much different. The first words would've been "You're convicting yourself?" and instead of "They're testifying against Jerry" it would've been "They're testifying against us, for what we did back then." But they completley left that out, just for the sake of the movie. That alone makes it rather unbelievable and implausible, and drops the grade from a B to a C+, and I'm being generious. Other than that, the movie was very enjoyable if a bit slow at times, with some great sequences and scenes. It's just that one thing is so hard to get around.[/spoil]

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm
Indiana Jones IV

i don't feel entertained or anything. the movie was just plain to me. i kinda dissapointed with this one. Hostage was better i think.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lord of filth

I didn't like it much at all... from the over expository dialog ("You only need to take this guy 16 Blocks to the courthouse!") to Mos Def's overly annoying voice (which is disappointing, because of all the rapper turned actors, Mos Def is the best one) to Bruce Willis' over-the-top drunk to David Morse (spelling?) way too-slimy-to-be-believable New York cop.

The whole thing just felt a few shades south of realistic to me, which lowered my enjoyment of it across the board.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

If Morse knew the whole time that Willis was one of the 6 guilty cops(which he did), the early dialouge and actions would've been much much different. The first words would've been "You're convicting yourself?" and instead of "They're testifying against Jerry" it would've been "They're testifying against us, for what we did back then." But they completley left that out, just for the sake of the movie.

Also, on top of this good observation, I would say that the screenplay would have been far more interesting if the audience had known up front that Willis' character was involved directly in the corruption, making the idea that he could turn on Mos Def at any time much more of a threat.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Well that was a lot of fun. Those Mos Def really talk like that?!...I think he was the worst thing about the movie, he was annoying as hell!

B+

I saw the theatrical ending and alternative one on the DVD, and i like both, hell, the only difference was that... [spoil]Jack Mosley died, the fat cop in the court room did end up shooting him, but still everyone got screwed.[/spoil]

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm
Top Poster

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

A decent action thriller with a solid performance by Willis and a truly grating and irritating one by Mos Def. Seriously, I could not understand half of what he was saying. Nearly ruined the movie for me. Luckily, the story was interesting and the pace tight, so that I enjoyed the film overall. Not a moment was wasted, the suspense and thrills were kept up throughout, and the action scenes were exciting. The plot was intriguing but made little sense, and the characters were mostly unrealistic, but that's something to expect from a film like this. Willis has done far worse. Nothing special, just a generic action thriller.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:41 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

This movie was horrendous. I hated every minute of it. It was so unrealistic it was laughable.

F-

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I pretty much agree with Trixster's review above. It is a solid action-thriller, but definitely not great. I liked Hostage much much more. The first 30 minutes of this were great and I thought we'd be in for a great ride, but then it just slows down. There is not nearly as much action as I hoped for. Bruce Willis does a very solid acting job here and David Morse is a good villain. The ending is decent, but seriously it all reminded me so much of The Negotioator (especially the ending), only a bit worse. It's a good time waster, but I have no desire to see it again soon.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Not very enjoyable and not nearly as thrilling and exciting as it seems to think it is.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:11 am
Profile YIM
now we know

Post Re: 16 Blocks
16 Blocks

I've watched it before, and I didn't like it all that much before, well I just watched it again with the wife and it's not a lot better now either. It's just a generic action thriller; the tape recording of the villain's confession, the bullets that don't find the protagonist, and the talking when they should be shooting..it's all the same and falls very neatly into the action-thriller design.

Bruce Willis is too good of a star for me to hate, or even dislike a movie like this, so I'll give it a respectable grade because it is fun, I suppose. But Mos Def's voice is one the single most annoying things I have ever heard. It's worse than fingernails scratching a black board. David Morse is cool as ever. The movie relies a lot on convenience and less so on logic or sense. There are many plot holes, and I prefer other Willis (and Donner for that matter) movies.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: 16 Blocks
What the hell was Def thinking, he was less coherent then Beetlejuice.

I'm not sure why there is so much Hostage love here, but that and this might be the worst 1 2 punch ever in Willis' career. And it's a shame because he's actually good in both of them. I think outside of Sin City and his cameos, he down right was in just awful films from in between Unbreakable and Live Free or Die Hard.

D

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]