Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Pink Panther (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

The Pink Panther (2006) 
Sbil

Post The Pink Panther (2006)
The Pink Panther

Quote:
The Pink Panther is a 2006 American-Czech comedy film and a reboot of The Pink Panther film series. In this film, Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Steve Martin) is assigned to solve the murder of a famous soccer coach and the theft of the famous Pink Panther diamond. The film also stars Kevin Kline, Jean Reno, Emily Mortimer, and Beyoncé Knowles. It was panned by critics and holds a 23% score on Rotten Tomatoes. However, it was the number one film in America and the highest-grossing film of the Pink Panther series, as of May 10, 2009.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I saw this tonight in my double feature. It started out with Kevin Kline sounding like he could have a better time somewhere else and was not in the least bit interested in this with his voiceovers.We are introduced to the Inspector and find that not only is he absent minded but very stupid. Now dont get me wrong I love stupid humor but this was just dumb. I mean I liked some of the humor but some stuff like his accent was very annoying. The trailer mainly showed the funny stuff and there was nothing really new to see or laugh with besides how stupid he was. Beyonce was sexy like always and thats all it seemed like she was there for. I mean her acting isnt the best but she is good be intersting to see her in real action this fall. Jean Reno was like he always was but seemed very bored also. Lots of sexual innedous that proved to get some laughs from us grownups and suprisingly so did some kids.The acting was mediocre, script wasnt much for them to work with and the overall plot was very predictable.Best news is I got in free and saved me some money.

C+

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 pm
I'm Batman

Wasn't as terrible as I expected, by no means good, but not horrible. Some of the physical comedy is decent, but a lot of it is childish and just not funny. Some scenes are made by Martin. I still don't agree with casting him, but he makes some scenes work with his expressions and emotions. Beyonce is flat out terrible. She's on screen for about 15 minutes of the entire film, and plays essential a worthless character. There are also many ackward cuts. The music is my favorite part, and no Check On It!

-C

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:26 am
Sbil

Shoot me, but I thought it was funny. We were going to see Firewall but then decided we wanted to see something light and silly after a long week, so we saw this instead (Final Destination was actually the first choice but it was sold out). Um, anyway, the movie is dumb but just funny in an amusingly slapstick way.

A decent way to kill a few hours.

B-

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:19 am
Cream of the Crop

I'm giving it a B. Mindless entertainment full of cliches and over-used sexual innuendos and not-what-you-think moments, but still funny and fun to watch. I needed a laugh, and I got it.

Joy

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:43 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Shoot me, but I thought it was funny. We were going to see Firewall but then decided we wanted to see something light and silly after a long week, so we saw this instead (Final Destination was actually the first choice but it was sold out). Um, anyway, the movie is dumb but just funny in an amusingly slapstick way.

B-

Um, you wanted something "Light and Silly" after a long week and FINAL DESTINATION 3 was your 1st choice??? From the reviews of this, this doesn't sound or look very lighthearted sweetie.. :-k

Either way, this Pink Panther movie was neither needed, funny or downright amusing and Peter Seller's is rolling over in his grave.. I'm pretty certain that once this movie opens extremely poorly this weekend, That Steve Martin will quietly sweep this under the rug and forget about it and make The JERK 2..

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Libs wrote:

B-

Um, you wanted something "Light and Silly" after a long week and FINAL DESTINATION 3 was your 1st choice??? From the reviews of this, this doesn't sound or look very lighthearted sweetie.. :-k

Either way, this Pink Panther movie was neither needed, funny or downright amusing and Peter Seller's is rolling over in his grave.. I'm pretty certain that once this movie opens extremely poorly this weekend, That Steve Martin will quietly sweep this under the rug and forget about it and make The JERK 2..

FD3 is an over-the-top cartoon, at least going by the ridiculous sequel, which was more of a comedy than anything else.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:42 am
problem?

I'm giving it a B. Mindless entertainment full of cliches and over-used sexual innuendos and not-what-you-think moments, but still funny and fun to watch. I needed a laugh, and I got it.

Joy

That'sbasicallytheexactsamethingIwasgoingtosay,so..quoted!

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:48 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
was OK and saved by about 5 or so good scenes with Steve Martin

and also the one scene with Agent 6 > one short of 7, LOL.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Well I recommend all three films. I saw Firewall first, then Pink Panther. FD3 yesterday.

The Pink Panther is a film that is completely saved by editing. Its only 80 minutes long, you can tell with the awkward cuts from above stated. The film has a lot of jokes and many hit. And some are outright hilarious. If you don't compare it to the other films, its pretty fun to see Martin back to true form

AND YOU WILL BE PLEASANTLY SUPRISED TO SEE CLIVE OWEN IN PROBABLY HIS ONLY ROLE CLOSE TO JAMES BOND.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 am
I'm Batman

I didn't even notice it was Clive Owen until one of my friends pointed it out.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:45 am
Extraordinary

B-

Oh, Libs -- how the mighty have fallen...

:glare:

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:59 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Libs wrote:

B-

there is nothing wrong with that > she seemed to have enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised > not all movies are going to be Oscar gold picture perfect.

to me, she hasn't fallen...........

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
Libs wrote:

B-

there is nothing wrong with that > she seemed to have enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised > not all movies are going to be Oscar gold picture perfect.

to me, she hasn't fallen...........

I think my reputation as a fan of low comedy preceeds me - but just try reading some of Libs' disdainful posts on comedy movies and their viewers from the archives of WOKJ!

This is a major sea change!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:01 pm
Veteran

Peter Sellers had created one of the greatest characters in movie history with Inspector Clouseau. Steve Martin (an actor I like usually) has completely butchered this lovable character. This monstrosity lacks the ingenuity and wit of the original series and is geniunely lame and very unfunny.

F

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Very mediocre, with a couple of genuine laughs (I guffawed at the opening "I arrest you for the murder of Pierre Fuquette!" skit).

C-

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:14 pm
---------

This movie had me in tears. Yes, I love stupid movies, sue me. I thought this was one of Steve Martin's best performances ever. The humor was fast and frenetic, not really a slow moment in the movie. Plus, they barely showed any of the humor in the ads in my opinion. Lots of great stuff.

Grade: B+

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:31 pm
Extraordinary

This movie had me in tears. Yes, I love stupid movies, sue me. I thought this was one of Steve Martin's best performances ever. The humor was fast and frenetic, not really a slow moment in the movie. Plus, they barely showed any of the humor in the ads in my opinion. Lots of great stuff.

Aren't you the guy that gave Anchorman an F ?

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:51 pm
---------

MG Casey wrote:

Aren't you the guy that gave Anchorman an F ?

Yeah, not really an F, because I couldn't grade it since I turned it off after 20 minutes. There were funny parts in it, but I found the sexual jokes in Anchorman too overbearing. Pink Panther had some, but they were much lighter and usually had an innocent explanation.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:22 am
Cream of the Crop

Yeah, not really an F, because I couldn't grade it since I turned it off after 20 minutes. There were funny parts in it, but I found the sexual jokes in Anchorman too overbearing. Pink Panther had some, but they were much lighter and usually had an innocent explanation.

Yes, and the thing that really shocked me is that my dad really actually liked Pink Panther! He's a very, uh, stick-up-the-'bleep' kinda guy, and I can always use his interest and/or review in/of movies as a gauge for whether a movie will do good. He was always interested in seeing Pink Panther, AND he liked it (I was so sure as I sat there next to him that he'd be complaining about the sexual innuendo--but there was not one word outta him about it!), so I knew it was going to do well at the box-office... and it has.

Yup, PP really surprised me, and it was a pleasant surprise. I definitely would not be adverse to a sequel, as long as Steve Martin is in it (and having Kevin Kline back would be a great bonus).

Joy

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:11 am
Profile WWW

MG Casey wrote:

Yes, and the thing that really shocked me is that my dad really actually liked Pink Panther! He's a very, uh, stick-up-the-'bleep' kinda guy, and I can always use his interest and/or review in/of movies as a gauge for whether a movie will do good. He was always interested in seeing Pink Panther, AND he liked it (I was so sure as I sat there next to him that he'd be complaining about the sexual innuendo--but there was not one word outta him about it!), so I knew it was going to do well at the box-office... and it has.

Yup, PP really surprised me, and it was a pleasant surprise. I definitely would not be adverse to a sequel, as long as Steve Martin is in it (and having Kevin Kline back would be a great bonus).

Joy

Tell your Old Man he should rent the original Pink Panther movies and see what comic bliss is with Peter Sellers playing Inspector Clouseau instead of the very misaligned casting of a great comic like Steve Martin.. I mean , this movie is a turd anyway and if they were gonna cast anyone in this role, it should've been Kevin Kline who's used to this sort of slapstick nonsense..

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

...and if they were gonna cast anyone in this role, it should've been Kevin Kline who's used to this sort of slapstick nonsense..

I second that! I might have gone to see it then. Plus Kline's already played a kind of Frenchman in the underrated RomCom French Kiss back in 1995...

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:09 am

BKB_The_Man wrote:
...and if they were gonna cast anyone in this role, it should've been Kevin Kline who's used to this sort of slapstick nonsense..

I second that! I might have gone to see it then. Plus Kline's already played a kind of Frenchman in the underrated RomCom French Kiss back in 1995...

French Kiss was Fantastic and was my girlfriend's favorite movie at that time..

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Starring: Steve Martin, Kevin Kline, Jean Reno, Beyonce Knowles, Emily Mortimer

Genre: Comedy

Rating: PG

Way back in 1964, Blake Edwards teamed up with the acting skills of a then rather unknown Peter Sellers, to create two things. The first was the movie The Pink Panther, and the second was the classic character of Jacques Clouseau. It would be the first of long-running 9 movie series, that would lead even past Seller's unfortunate death in 1980, to plenty trashed sequels. Since the dreadful Son of the Pink Panther in 1993 finally put the nail in the supposed coffin, the series had died down to remain dormant. Until now. In the this latest rendition, Shawn Levy has made the decision of reverting back to the beginning of the series, in a virtual remake. But be aware that while the remake term still fits, only the lead characters and the diamond are taken from the original. The original plotline is substituted for a new and fresh one, to bring things around to the new millenium.

In this latest and new edition, the story revolves around a famous soccer coach by the Gluant(cameo by Jason Statham) who is murdered by poison dart. He was also the owner of a precious and priceless diamond, the Pink Panther, that was stolen with the murder. The head of the police force, Inspector Drefyuss(Kevin Kline), comes up with a plan to better his reputation in the wake of this. He will get the stupidest policeman in the country, and set him to the task. After this bumbling Inspector fails, he himself will jump in to solve the case and win over both the hearts of everyone in France and his desired Medal of Honour. He finds Jacques Closeau(Steve Martin), and the gags of the film begins from there. Aiding Closeau is an assitant/bodygard, Ponton(Jean Reno), and a cute secretary who just wants his heart(Emily Mortimer). Also rounding out the ensemble is Xania(Beyonce Knowles), who's a popstar and Gluant's soon-to-be wife.

The original Pink Panthers relied on the stupidity and slapstick jokes of the lead for most of it's jokes. In the newest edition, it is no different. Virtually every joke in the film comes from Clouseau having a low IQ, or people getting hit and falling off different things. However, there is a line to making dumb comedy, and unfortunately at most moments, The Pink Panther crosses it. The movie is just too too dumb. When everything that is said is a stupid comment, and everything is slapstick down to the bone, things get a little grating. With that being said, the movie can be funny. From the smart-car jokes to the sexual inneundo, it does have you laughing at various moments throughout. But is the movie gut-busting laughter? No, not even close. There was definitly a space where it could've performed more on that level. It's not that there wasn't enough jokes, it's just that none of them stood out as being that effective. Unfortunately, that was one thing that was desperately needed, because the movie fails in a lot of the technical and quality aspects. The direction is sloppy, and the film is generally shot in an ugly tone. Also, acting by Kline is off, and Beyonce is just terrible. And if that wasn't enough, the ending is rather implausible, illogical, unexplained, and it has plotholes all over. At one point the characters magically come up with double-sided disguises that match the walls they're standing beside perfectly. Blatent screenplay errors like that just bring the entire production down. Overall, Martin proves that he still has the golden comedic talent in him, and for the first time in many years he is allowed to show it. But as good as he is, there are some things he cannot save from mediocority. This movie is one of them.

Final Grade: C

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:08 am
Teh Mexican

I knew it was going to be a stupid comedy, but damn it was too stupid, I did laugh a bit but it was mostly very unfunny

The Opening credits were great...the slap after the little dance was hilarious :blush:

C-

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next