Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Terminal 

What grade would you give this film?
A 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Terminal 
College Boy Z

Post The Terminal
The Terminal

Quote:
The Terminal is a 2004 American comedy-drama film directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It is about a man trapped in a terminal at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport when he is denied entry into the United States and at the same time cannot return to his native country, the fictitious Krakozhia, due to a revolution. The film is partially inspired by the 18-year-stay of Mehran Karimi Nasseri in the Charles de Gaulle International Airport, Terminal I, Paris, France from 1988 to 2006.

Meh. Overrated.

C

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:43 pm
You must have big rats

There is a really good movie buried somewhere in there. It is just not always to be clearly found. It suffers quite a bit in its second half. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Tom Hanks have good chemistry, but the abrupt end of their romance is quite a letdown. I know that many are sick of happy endings, but in the case of this one, I felt like it needed one.

In any case, I found myself very entertained at times, very bored at others. Tom Hanks, as always, delivers a great performance. The score is pretty good and the art direction is excellent. Can't believe it was snubbed at the Oscars.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

B

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:09 am
Extraordinary

B+, A- perhaps.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:24 am
Draughty

I can understand people not liking it but lets not call it overrated since it got so-so reviews and did so-so business. It's not like it was universally praised or a big hit.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:35 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I expected soooooo much from it and was soooooo disapointed. Can't believe this is a Hanks/Spielberg movie. D+

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I loved it. It was sweet and endearing, though a bit sappy and overlong. Not Spielberg's best film, but it certainly had its moments. Zeta-Jones was also great, though she came off as a bit shallow in the end. B+

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 am
Lord of filth

I don't ever think it can find a great balance and dips into schmaltz a little more than I would have liked it to do, but I still liked the little undercurrent of American critisism which runs through the piece.

Viktor asks the cop what he "should do" and the cop says something like "This is America, you shop". It's fitting that when Viktor walked out of the airport, shop owners were bestowing commercial products on him like he was a god (even if it was overdone a *little* I still think a lot of people missed the point).

I also enjoy how Viktor's goal is to come here and LEAVE, in the 1980s he would have been an immigrant and some American household would take him up.

Interesting film in my opinion, but with problems.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Ambitious but slightly flawed. The film works as an interesting satire on consumerism, but Viktor and Amelia's relationship isn't well-developed. Hanks is brilliant, and Zeta-Jones is also good, but Amelia isn't really given a whole lot to do. Oh, well.

Of note, there is a wonderful, scene-stealing performance from Zoe Saldana as a customs agent here.

B

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 pm
Lord of filth

See Libs, that's my problem with it. Hanks is like... SO MUCH of a better actor in this an anybody else in the entire film. It's like he's in a different movie.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

One of Spielberg's lesser efforts, meaning it's still better than alot of crap released today...

(and yeah, the art direction was snubbed at the Oscars...)

C+

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

Spielberg knows how to elicit human emotion and infectiousness from a story, and he did it here. However, I agree with the most of you, it wasn't his best. Just very light, pleasant entertainment. It's sort of like going to a great steak-house restaurant and ordering a salad.

B

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]